Hi from Herefordshire.

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

sylva
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Hi from Herefordshire.

Post by sylva » Thu May 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi everybody I wonder if you can help convince me that I would be doing the right thing.

I have just received a little windfall and a MGF/TF is at the top of the shortlist. However, I already have a 1992 MK1 MX5 that I will be keeping. The MX5 is so bullet proof and I know is always going to be ready to go when I want it to, so far!

Naturally I appreciate the MX5 and F/TF are very different cars and in my mind apart from that they both have soft tops should not be compared like for like but will running a F/TF be a nightmare of worry on keeping it mechanically roadworthy and reliable? Additionally thoughts as to merits of the F over the TF and visa versa would be very interesting.

I have a budget of up to £2000 and do not mind doing basic servicing and fettling.

Thank you in advance,

Duncan.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hi from Herefordshire.

Post by nigelandjo » Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi and welcome.

The F/TF are fairly bullet proof and are great every day cars. New parts or second hand parts are not an issue when needed. F or TF is down to personal taste. The main difference is the suspension ~ the F has Hydragas suspension whilst the TF is springs and shock absorbers. I would recommend trying out both cars and see which suits your needs.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Hi from Herefordshire.

Post by talkingcars » Fri May 31, 2019 10:29 pm

sylva wrote:Naturally I appreciate the MX5 and F/TF are very different cars....
Hi and welcome to the forum Duncan

I pleased you realise the difference, most F owners try to compare them.

As above, try both, and then look out for one from an enthusiast as they will be better looked after.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com