Hi to all in the register forum

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Yojic
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Hi to all in the register forum

Post by Yojic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Newbie here by accident!

I did not expect to be the owner of a 1998 MGF, as I am embarking on restoration project, I thought an easy one would be best to lead myself into it. Reason being is to get my young Son off the PS4 :o . Therefore, I ended up with an MGF with the engine and gear box out in a renovated rear sub frame. I am lead to believe that the engine has been worked on. Yet to find out from the previous registered owner who done the work ( retired Policeman). I has been off the road approx 18 months.

Now, I have not a clue where to start, bought the workshop manual to give some pointers, it seems a lot of work but could be interesting, I am assured all the parts are in the box that came with the car, we will see :lol:

I hope that one of you veteran MGF fans could give some advice and steps to get this project underway or point me to a thread where one of the guys has done it. At the moment I am starting blind :o it’s a bit of a dilemma at the moment. So any pointers will be appreciated. I would also like to keep a photo diary on the progress and post so others can benefit, mistakes as well :lol:

Regards

Dave
[/color]Cars...BMW 330D, MGF 75th Anniversary, MG Midget K-Series maybe :sf:
Triumph TR6 CP soon to be pristine :kiss: (in about 10 years :lol: )

Getting into restoration with my young Son "Seb"

Yojic

Re: Hi to all in the register forum

Post by Yojic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Attached photos what this project is about
Attachments
80B74284-9BB4-41C9-8DEB-FEAD3FB93C30.jpeg
25C0FD1C-45D1-476E-AAEB-B19B8737C6A5.jpeg
035D9E31-1DA9-4D28-8811-8C752438DB3B.jpeg

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:55 pm

Good luck with the project.
When you have specific questions you will receive loads of well informed advice on this forum.
At least it looks like you have a wonderful warm, dry and bright workshop for the project!
Enjoy.

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:54 am

Hi, and welcome to the Forum, which is a mine of useful information.

If you need to know about a specific point, post a question on the Technical Section, and you'll get the information you need. You could also do a search on the Technical Section to see if it has been covered before.

I echo John's comments about your workshop, I've been working on cars for over 60 years and have never has a workshop. My F lives outside with a cover over the hood in bad weather, though I'm considering building a carport for this winter.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register Forum. Keep us updated with progress and remember there's no such thing as a stupid question ~ ask away.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Yojic

Post by Yojic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks, guys,

Bit of another dilemma before I even start, the guy who had the mgf before, had two, the V5 I have ( not registered yet!) ties in with the chassis plate. Was told that the other mgf was scrapped :roll: Now, the service history , owners handbook etc. I have is for the scrapped mgf :cry: I checked online for the V5 registration plate and the milage checks out with the MOT history :thumbsu: ( need to get a full report for proof). Although the chassis is a 1998 with a VVI engine 120bhp. That engine was scrapped :x . The engine out of the scrapped chassis is the one going into the 1998 mgf, It is a 1999 VVC I believe is a 148bhp. Is that correct? Where exactly do I need to look for the engine number as this needs to go on the V5 when I register in my name.

So, I have the milage for the chassis and service record for the VVC engine, would that be a problem on selling when I choose to. I know its a bit of a cluster f***, but I don't see too much of an issue, although it would have been better if the engine would have matched with the V5.....

First problem I have noticed is the ecu is different on the chassis, the original one has a pipe coming from it, I assume this is for air/fuel mixture, it that correct? The other ecu from the scrapped mgf (VVC) engine does not have this, It has an extra cables from the engine (plug) that goes underneath the ecu bracket. Therefore, this pipe will be redundant. Is my assumption correct?

I can see this project for me is going to be a head scratcher :o but I will have fun with my young Son telling him this is not how to do it :lol: but it will get there in the end :thumbsu: First job for him is learning how to mig weld ( fabricating some ramps at the moment ) so will let him have a play with the welding set.

Just an update, one of the rear shocks is knackered, therefore placed an order for a pair with all the bolts washers etc. For the lower bush ( bushes seem to be ok) no doubt there will be a few nuts and bolts missing ;)

By the way maybe one of the moderators need to shift this thread to the correct sub forum, now that I have started the project. Yet to figure out how to install the drive shafts and the lower suspension, should be straight forward once the shafts are in :thumbsu: we will see :oops:

Dave

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am

Yojic wrote: Bit of another dilemma before I even start, the guy who had the mgf before, had two, the V5 I have ( not registered yet!) ties in with the chassis plate. Was told that the other mgf was scrapped :roll: Now, the service history , owners handbook etc. I have is for the scrapped mgf :cry: I checked online for the V5 registration plate and the milage checks out with the MOT history :thumbsu: ( need to get a full report for proof). Although the chassis is a 1998 with a VVI engine 120bhp. That engine was scrapped :x . The engine out of the scrapped chassis is the one going into the 1998 mgf, It is a 1999 VVC I believe is a 148bhp. Is that correct? Where exactly do I need to look for the engine number as this needs to go on the V5 when I register in my name.
I am a little confusion between cars there.
The 1998 car you have would not have been a VVC engine if it was a 120bhp engine, it had a 1.8mpi engine in.
The replacement engine from the scrapped 1999 car you say is a VVC engine, which is 145bhp. The engine number can be found using Dieter's excellent site http://www.mgfcar.de/k_engine/ The engine swap is not a direct change as the electrics are different as you have found.

In registering the car with the new engine on the V5, you are not only changing the engine number, you are changing the power of the car also, which will make it a modified car. No major worries in the future if you had just changed the engine for an equivalent engine but possibly may put some off as you put an uprated engine in. Very few people who have to swap engines would know the full history of that engine, but you do seem to have the history of the engine more than the chassis.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Yojic

Post by Yojic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the pointer regarding the engine number, now have that and it checks out with the service booklet that I have. It is a vvc 145bhp engine. The chassis checks out with on line history of mot with the registration plate, 1.8mpi 120bhp engine, (this engine was scrapped). The milage checks out on the clock and mot history (700 miles from the last mot) So, it seem that I have the history of both engine and chassis. :thumbsu:

Getting to the transplant of the vvc engine, this came with the ecu, engine plugs tying in with the ecu. I assume all other electrics are the same? If not I would like some pointers please guys on what needs to be changed or altered :( . The rear subframe has been blasted and painted before installation of the engine and gear box in the subframe. I am hoping that the subframe will fit? ( are the subframes the same in the 1998 mpi and a 1999 vvc mgf?) if so, it should be relatively straight forward so long as the mounts are the same along with suspension and drive shafts. Would this be the case?

I do believe the braking system are the same ( just need to refurb the callipers ( all round)) new disks and shocks on rear for a 1998. I have 6 hydragas units two already on the front, the four that are out, three seem to be good only a little surface rust. One is a bit corroded, thus will not be used :|.

Will be getting the chassis fully up in the air on Tuesday after the 400mm high ramps are completed. ( dam new mig welding unit the wire feed stopped working (Clarke 151TE mig welding set)) :rant: therefore, this afternoon exchanged for a clarke 205, 180amp mig welder professional/industrial unit :thumbsu: although cannot get gas bottle until Monday :roll: Still, my Son and I can start refurbing the suspension arms etc. Mechanical wire brush and a lick of smooth black hammerite, is that OK? Or a no no? Prior to installing on the rear subframe.

I gather you can all guess correctly that I am not a mechanic :lol:

Dave

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 am

I would suggest that Hammerite would not be the best for the chassis, as it has a tendency to chip after a year or so. I've always used Chassis Black on a zinc rich primer, which seems to last well. You could, of course, use a protectant such as Dinitrol.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you want a build thread in a different location it will be best to start a new thread.

The VVC engine is actually 143bhp to be pedantic and the 1.8i is 120bhp.

The wiring differences are primarily within the engine loom and ECU so if these all came with the new engine it should be plug and play. The other significant differences are that all VVC cars came with ABS and EPAS but not all 1.8i did. Also the redline on the rev counter is higher on the VVC.

If not already done you will need to get the engine ECU matched to the alarm fob, quite simple if you have a www.pscan.uk

The subframes on the MGF are all the same as are the hydragas units except those for the trophy model which ran slightly lower.

When I refurbished my subframes I painted all the suspension components with black hammarite before reinstalling, the subframes in forest green (to match my BRG car) and the drive shafts in silver.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:12 pm

talkingcars wrote: When I refurbished my subframes I painted all the suspension components with black hammarite before reinstalling, the subframes in forest green (to match my BRG car) and the drive shafts in silver.
Showoff!

:mrgreen:
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

Yojic

Post by Yojic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi James,

Lol Wilfred, thanks for the info the ecu. This thread will continue in the appropriate section with reference to this one.

Dave.