Saying hello

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Markcoopers
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire

Saying hello

Post by Markcoopers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:55 am

As is right, I would introduce myself to you all having just purchased an MG TF........as a gift for my farther on behalf of my Mother.

My farther in his 70's but still very fit and able was reminiscing of his original TF, TD, Magnets etc and of his latter MGF which he really did enjoy (head gasket failed eventually), as a result my mother wanted to get him a car as a final hoorah so to speak and asked that I help find him one. Normally I would have purchased privately and fixed and restored a car as I do enjoy spannering, but with Lock down and me bing 240miles away this really is not a option here and total reliability/piece of mind was needed. as such I have purchased a car from Trophy cars so as to have the mechanical work and warranty done/in place. I'll then do some trim/detailing work before dropping it off at the end of October in time for his birthday.

Having only ever driven one before and firmly being in the MX5 camp (I have a Mk1 track only car), I did really want to get him an Mk3 MX5, but it became clear over a pint in the Summer that actually he was an MG person and if he ever had another roadster it would be a later MG TF.......hence the car purchase. However I have to say I quite liked it. OK it is not fast by modern standards, but that mid engined rotation around your hips/thighs is very evident, and it flowed with a road that more modern cars seem to have lost. I was quite surprised, pleasantly so, just how good a drive it was. While it may have been 15 years ago his last MGF drove very differently with the weight of the engine like a pendulum very noticeable, but this one had none of that and was a eye opener for sure.

Off to ask some technical questions now.

Thanks.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Saying hello

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register Forum.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Saying hello

Post by talkingcars » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi and welcome Mark and Mr Coopers snr.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com