Back in the fold

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

P49273
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Back in the fold

Post by P49273 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi all,

Recently bought a white MGF VVC, early one as May 96 in Diamond White which is also quite rare. It’s done 71,000 miles and it’s now got a clean mot with no advisories. Had several MG’s over the years, but not anything since 2005. It does though need quite a bit of work, but she is 25 in a few months time; so far found the following:
1) Passenger door very stiff to open, cant use the outside handle;
2) Drivers side floor wet, although passenger side ok so will need to find out where that’s coming in...;
3) It was written off at some point in the past, although don’t know what for and got through MOT’s, so assume done ok;
4) No service history so engine work to do, although runs sweet;
5) Minor rust on the front wing, looks easy to sort;
6) Rubbers all round look like they need replacing, lots of interior trim pieces broken, front under bonnet needs a lots of work to get right;
7) Only 1 key & fob, will sort that out;
8) Front fan on constantly; could be the VVC solenoids, read that often sorts out the issues;
9) TBH, it probably needs stripping right down to see what’s what;
10) Looks like when the audio wires have all been butchered around when the replacement radio was added; and
11) No idea what the soft top is like as it has a hardtop on it and I’ve been told the soft top is original, so I expect it’s very tired.
I’m going to try & video everything as I go & gain lots of help as I go along. I could sell it for more than I paid as parts but that seems sad as these early cars are getting rarer now. Anyway a couple of pictures, will take more as we delve further into it....
9FEBF7D7-8A10-4E77-800B-66A0EC73F427.jpeg
691C1F77-A14A-49EA-BB79-2A74521FC918.jpeg

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Back in the fold

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Nice looking early car.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

hammond
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 am

I've always liked the look of the white ones. Hope you can sort all those issues and keep it on the road cos as you say these old ones are getting rarer each year.
And if you find yourself not needing or wanting the hard top let me know as I may be interested and looks like I'm not too far from you :thumbsu: :-P

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:39 pm

Welcome back

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

P49273

Post by P49273 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 pm

hammond wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 am
I've always liked the look of the white ones. Hope you can sort all those issues and keep it on the road cos as you say these old ones are getting rarer each year.
And if you find yourself not needing or wanting the hard top let me know as I may be interested and looks like I'm not too far from you :thumbsu: :-P
If I can get hold of a replacement soft top then I’ll let you know. I’ve just asked James if he gets the free car then I’d love the soft top and then happy to sort out the hard top with you.