Going British...

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

KIT :)
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF 160

Going British...

Post by KIT :) » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:33 am

Hullo, I'm new around here and new to the world of MGs. It's always been my ambition to own an MG so after 10 years of playing around with Alfa Romeos I've finally decided to sell my Italian motors (Mito & Spider) and go British. I am now the proud owner of an MG TF 160 in trophy blue, and what a car it is! I used to be a regular member of an Alfa club and enjoyed all the meetups and banter so thought that I better search out an online community for the MG marque. So here I am! :D

Typically with my new car comes my first new problem so I'll skip over to the technical forum and see if it can be fixed. :sf:

All the best,

Kit :thumbsu:

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Going British...

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Welcome to the MG Car Club, MGF Register forum.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Post by KIT :) » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:07 pm

Many thanks! It's good to be here.

One question, when I bought the car off the fella he said that I should replace the coolant cap every 2 years. That sounded really odd, is this legit advice?

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:50 pm

I am not sure that I would replace the cap every two years but I would get one now and keep it in the boot just in case one fitted fails.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi and welcome to the world of MG, I got an Alfa 159 to replace my ZS as I could see so many similarities between the 2 marques.

Personally I change the header tank cap every year, a genuine one is only about £5 and is one of the important components in the cooling system.
I quite often buy 2 and put the second in the boot as a spare, when we sold my wifes ZR160 to my son we found 3 in the boot.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Post by KIT :) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:11 am

Chris Tideswell wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:50 pm
I am not sure that I would replace the cap every two years but I would get one now and keep it in the boot just in case one fitted fails.
How does it fail, what do I need to look out for. :?
talkingcars wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 pm
Hi and welcome to the world of MG, I got an Alfa 159 to replace my ZS as I could see so many similarities between the 2 marques.
Alfas are great cars (contrary to popular belief) and they'll always have a place in my heart. It's a great community too, you often get a wave in passing from fellow Alfa drivers. I was wondering if the same went for MG owners, then I was driving into Hereford last weekend and passed someone in an MGF who waved at me. That made my day! :lol:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:15 pm

The cap is meant to release pressure.
It can fail by either not closing again after venting pressure so the cooling system no longer maintains the correct operating pressure.
Or it doesn't open to release pressure so causes something to fail and release pressure. This is either a hose or the header tank.

If any resulting leak isn't fixed it can lead to loss of coolant and eventually the head gasket fails.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com