Help!

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

kai Harvey
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Help!

Post by kai Harvey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:00 pm

New to mgf ownership.. found one that's been sat away in a garage for the last 5 years.. just passed and mot but needs a major service!! 1999 1.8i model... any help would be massively appreciated!

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Help!

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Cam belts
Oil / oil filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:26 am

I would also inspect the state of the under floor coolant pipes, if they haven’t been replaced with stainless steel units I would consider doing so as the original mild steel pipes tend to go from the inside out.

Leefy
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Leefy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Other items to check:

Wiring loom on the left hand side boot hinge is known to break (not enough slack in the loom). Can be repaired though, but if broken will cause problems with alarm etc.

Flick wipe - does it work, if not new stalk required ( still available new) but pricey or used part.
Heater blower - does it work on all four speeds? If not, new resistor pack will be required. Standard replacements from £7-9.00 or upgraded part for £25-30.00. Easy to replace yourself.

Leaks into the passenger footwell caused by poor seal on fresh air intake under the bonnet. TFs had a different design, so can be changed.

Check the condition of hydralastic suspension “eggs” - if they’re corroded they will need replacing, refurbished items are available but pricey.

Subframes can and do rust badly if neglected, replacements available (refurbished) if yours are too far gone to do your own.

Main body seals - can fail around door cheaters (usual sign is water over speaker covers). These main body seals are no longer available and only used ones are available. Whether you can get a “good” secondhand set Is debatable.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

What help do you need.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com