Hello from the frozen North.

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

1969jackal
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Hello from the frozen North.

Post by 1969jackal » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:10 pm

Hi all, just thought I'd pop my head in here and say hello as a new member.
My reason for joining is that I'm looking to sell my late father-in-laws MGF and was wondering what your thoughts are on advertising it at this time of year. Personally, I think I'd have a better chance of selling in the spring when the weather starts to turn for the better. Is there much of a market for these vehicles at the moment. The prices seem to vary wildly from what I've seen from a few hundred to several thousands.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hello from the frozen North.

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:14 pm

Hello and welcome to the MGF Register Forum. Sorry to hear the sad news of your father-in-law. There is always a demand for good condition cars, but if you can store the car until spring, your stand a better chance of a higher price. However you may just find someone looking for a Christmas present at the present time. You might want to advertise the car and see what offers you receive. If they are low you don't have to accept the offer and sell.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Heatherethan00
MGF Register Region: United States of America

Post by Heatherethan00 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:17 pm

Welcome buddy

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sorry to read about your father in law.

To achieve the best price start advertising around Easter.
The run up to Christmas is the worst time to sell any car.

Good luck with your sale.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:59 pm

IMO Any paperwork which gives a potential buyer extra information regarding the car's history, especially service history, will add to the value of the car. Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but if you are unfamiliar with selling "older" cars, you may not have appreciated this aspect of selling.

Though in general March IS the best time to offer any open-top car to the market, I was reading recently in Classic Car Weekly, that Christmas IS a peak sales time, with people buying a classic car as a present for a loved one, or (perhaps more frequently!) for themselves.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:13 pm

There is someone on the MG-Rover.org site called "bart10" who posted this brief post:
"Hi All, Just in the mood (ie: insanity!) to consider buying an MGF (or maybe an early TF) in the depth of Winter, but waiting until Spring may mean higher prices. The World's gone mad, so why shouldn;t I?
Does anyone wish to sell their's please - I am in West Norfolk, but willing to travel a reasonable distance for the right car. Key points, it must have a Hardtop, and must have a history regarding Belt/Pump changes . Obviously not at all keen on rust bubbling around sills , etc!!
Over to you folks, Richard"
He is about to visit Trophy cars, so he is prepared to travel. Might be worth your while to join that forum in the F-TF sub forum, which is quite active. Once joined, you could Personal Message him.