StepSpeed

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

TD2C
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

StepSpeed

Post by TD2C » Thu May 18, 2023 5:57 pm

Hi. I have just bought a very low mileage, one owner, TF Stepspeed. It drives really well, with no apparent nasties. And its clearly been pampered

I am planning to do some preventative maintenance, head gasket, cam belt, water pump, cooling pipes, plus of course all oils and filters . I am also replacing the almost unworn, but 19 year old tyres. I am told that Toyo are a good idea, as some (most??) tyre manufacturers don't make both sizes in the same spec.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what MUST be done, what MIGHT be done, and what is a waste of time!

When what must be done is done, any suggestions on the best route to a softer ride?

Thanks in anticipation

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: StepSpeed

Post by nigelandjo » Thu May 18, 2023 9:15 pm

Toyo are are good choice of tyre. Don't change the head gasket if it's not gone ~ no need to do so. Water pump at the same time as the cam belt is always recommended, as is changing the underbody coolant pipes for stainless ones.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu May 18, 2023 11:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have had several sets of Toyos over the years and will have more when the time comes.

A full service changing all the filters and fluids, including petrol filter and clutch fluid is a good idea.

The stepspeed box like clean filters and fluids.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Roselan1
MGF Register Region: Africa

Post by Roselan1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm

Sounds like you've found a gem with your TF Stepspeed! For your preventive maintenance, you're on the right track with head gasket, cam belt, water pump, and cooling pipes. Consider checking the suspension for wear and tear while you're at it. It's great that you're replacing the old tyres; Toyo is a solid choice. For a softer ride, you could explore lowering springs with a less aggressive rate or upgraded shocks designed for comfort. Remember to flush and replace brake fluid, as it's often overlooked. Good luck with your project!

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 pm

One advice: aside all of the actions you plan to take, replace the CVT oil filter and oil. This is a more sensitive part of your car as all other parts apart from the cam belt.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be