new arrival bistec

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

BISTEC
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

new arrival bistec

Post by BISTEC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi All,

Just finally took the plunge & bought an 97 VVC MGF after months of "thinking" about it and would welcome any advice on keeping it in best service condition having never owned one before.

I have service history to a point including the headgasket/cambelt replacement by rover dealer in 2002 at 20,000 miles now has 78,000 on clock. The owner suggested cambelt should be changed before long. ? She had not been driven for 6 months so will also need a service I guess, the only "fault" that is noticable to me is a squeal, maybe belt for a minute or so on start up which then disappears.

All advice and hints welcome.

Many thanks
Bistec

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: new arrival bistec

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 am

Hi and welcome to the MGF Register,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your F. The cambelt should be changed every 5 years / 60,000 miles whichever comes first. So I would suggest that you get this changed soon ~ it could be very costly if it breaks and they do perish with age. The squeel is more than likely a bit of slip on the alternator belt. I would get this checked as well. As the car has been stood for 6 months, a full service is probably worth while. You'll be all set for a summer of hood down motoring then :)

Nigel
Last edited by nigelandjo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 am

Welcome the the MGF Register forum, Bistec.

Enjoy your new car. :thumbsu:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 am

Hi

I know if I worthy to say "and welcome" yet as I only joined recently.

I would also suggest the squel is proberbly the alternator if the car has been standing for a while, I'd give the battery a charge from a charger to bring it up to full and see if that helps.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

BISTEC

Post by BISTEC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm

nigelandjo wrote:Hi and welcome to the MGF Register,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your F. The cambelt should be changed every 5 years / 60,000 miles whichever comes first. So I would suggest that you get this changed soon ~ it could be very costly if it breaks and they do perish with age. The squeel is more than likely a bit of slip on the alternator belt. I would get this checked as well. As the car has been stood for 6 months, a full service is probably worth while. You'll be all set for a summer of hood down motoring then :)

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for your comments and advice it is appreciated, bring on the summer !

Andrew

BISTEC

Post by BISTEC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

talkingcars wrote:Hi

I know if I worthy to say "and welcome" yet as I only joined recently.

I would also suggest the squel is proberbly the alternator if the car has been standing for a while, I'd give the battery a charge from a charger to bring it up to full and see if that helps.

James
Hi James

Thanks for your reply comments helpful thanks. Battery was new last Oct but had gone flat through lack of use during the winter, now fully charged so that is one small step forward. Hope to get MOT soon and service etc looking forward to getting on the road.

Thanks
Andrew

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Just in case you are not aware (I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm) but the head gasket fitted in 2002 will not be the latest (bullet proof) multi-layer one that is showing fantastic success, you will have the original style single layer gasket. You may have the metal dowels, which are an improvement over the early plastic ones but these are still prone to failure and, as you have covered quite a bit of mileage since it was done I would be mindful of this. I would suggest you buy a low level water kit from the likes of Brown & Gammons to give you an early warning should something go wrong and you start to lose coolant. I guess your water pump may be original too and possibly your cam-belt tensioner so I would consider having these changed at the same time as your cam belt.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

BISTEC

Post by BISTEC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will look into your suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to post your message.

btx5mg
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC, ZT Turbo.

Post by btx5mg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi and welcome, We should be in for a good summer, so you will be able to get the most out of your F its a real treat on a nice blue sky day you will love it. But as has been said get your cam belt changed, watch your cooling level like a hawk, If it ever get's hot stop the motor ASAP. This site is full of very helpful MG fans that will help you out with most things you need to know. Hope you enjoy the car and the site :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Pete

Paula
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 80th LE TF135

Post by Paula » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello and welcome!! :thumbsu:
MGTF 80th Anniversary Goodwood Green #1469