Hi

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Britny
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Hi

Post by Britny » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I am Britny and I live in frozen north of Scotland. I passed my driving test almost 3 years ago and bought a Rover. Last year I decided to buy an MGF as I had always had a liking for them. Sadly I only had her 8 weeks when she was written off due to a numpty going into my back end. last week i finally took the plunge and bought a new f so now have a nice bright yellow Trophy 160. I am told that this is the place where I may be able to find out a bit more about her (ie what number she is).

Britny

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Hi

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi and welcome, I've only been here a few weeks and picked up our F yesterday, they seem to be a friendly bunch.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Welcome to the F Register forum :thumbsu:

If you contact our Registrar Andy on archive@mgfregister.org he may be able to help you out with information on your car
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi up there and welcome

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Send me your registration and or vin number (SARR etc) on an e mail or PM (personal message) via the forum and I'll send it to you. There were 1,430 Trophy's produced with 796 being registered in the UK. Yellow being the most popular by far.

Adrian
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Britny

Post by Britny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:39 am

Thanks Adrian PM sent.

Think mine is the only Trophy yellow F I have ever seen up here. Plenty of ZR's but majority of F's I have seen up here are blue of British Racing Green!

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Britny, as you know the Trophy's (unlike MGF 75LE's, MGTF 80LE's and MGTF LE500's) were not individually numbered. Therefore your car is only numbered by the amount of cars that came down the production line, they came in four colours Trophy Yellow, Trophy Blue, Solar Red and Anthracite and they are sequenced by vin number not registration or year of, the car in front of yours carries a 51 plate, the car after carries a Y plate so you can see there is no visible sequence and you are number 477. Some cars even carry an 02 or 03 plate although UK Trophy's are all 2001 or 2002 build but that was when they were first registered (there are three Trophy's in Holland still un-registered today).

Your car was a 2001 build by the way, the 10th figure on the vin tells you this, the only visible evidence (in reality) of a car being a genuine Trophy is the letter Z on the vin (body mods, interior change and, if necessary, a respray can make any F look like a Trophy.

I have not had the time to establish how many of each colour yet as there are cars that are no longer registered but from what I have done, yellow is the dominant colour especially on the earlier cars.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Britny

Post by Britny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks Adrian so did I read correctly somewhere that the first 500 had the head gaskets skimmed at factory? Her head gasket must have majorly gone at 77k (or the garage decided to rip previous lady owner off) as they dead a full engine/clutch change due to HGF at that point.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Britny, I don't know about the first 500 cars and I would be surprised if a complete engine change came from a failed head gasket. The cylinder head maybe if it boiled dry and warped the head, maybe the block was damaged, they are all possibilities,

Have you checked the current engine number and compared it with the number on your V5 ? If what you say is correct, then it will be different. I hope they have (if it has been done) replaced it with a Trophy 160 unit not a 143 vvc (which look the same).

Britny

Post by Britny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Adrian how will I know if the new engine is trophy or not then?

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Engine type can be found from engine number using Dieter's web page http://www.mgfcar.de/vin/emgf_vin.htm#code info near the bottom of the page just before the paint codes. The engine number is on the side of the engine.

If I am reading it right, a VVC Trophy engine should be either 18K4FP25 or 18K4FP26 if car has aircon.
18 indicates 1800cc, K indicates K series, 4 indicates 4 valves & F injection with cat. The actual engine number then is added onto the end.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Exactly as Keith says, your engine, if it is a replacement, may not have a number stamped on it. You can always drop Dieter a line germany@mgfregister.org and give him the details, he will be happy to help you if he can, his knowledge and data is vast.

Another clue, although slightly costly would be to have the car rolling roaded, it should produce at least 158bhp, anything less and you may not have a Trophy 160 engine I'm afraid.

Britny

Post by Britny » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Well the plot thickens the original factory supplied engine number does not match anything on Dieter's page, finally got under my car today to get the new engine number and that doesn't match anything on Dieter's page either!

Have sent him an email with both numbers in the hope that he can enlighten me!

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

It does indeed, let us know how you get on, Dieter will reply when he has the time I know.

Britny

Post by Britny » Sat May 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Haven't remembered to pop on for a bit. Dieter replied very promptly and although he doesn't have numbers going as far as mine is pretty sure I have a TF 160 engine in her so happy days.