MGF's at NAMGBR 2013 Corvallis Oregon

Photos and videos of events the MGF Register has been at.

Moderator: Committee Members

terreneuve
MGF Register Region: Canada

MGF's at NAMGBR 2013 Corvallis Oregon

Post by terreneuve » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 pm

I thought I would post some pictures of the North American MGB Registrars 2013 Meet in Corvalis, Oregon.

It was held at the campus of Oregon State University. The weather was fantastic and I drove up from San Francisco with my friends who have a MGB GT V8
and we took the coastal route and travelled through the Avenue of the Giants (some of the largest Redwood trees in the USA!) and through some fabulous driving roads
through the mountains of Northern California.

Over 2400 km of wonderful, trouble free driving!!

The Canadian contingent had three MGF's at the show and we won second and third place in the Class 'MG All other years" First place went to an Elva!!

The first picture is our three F's with MGB # 102 the first MGB sold in the USA!
IMG_1942.JPG
The second picture is of our group , the BRG car is mine and the two red cars belong to Mike Connelly of Alberta.
IMG_1892.JPG
The last picture is of my car overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, before going across it!
IMG_2097.JPG

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: MGF's at NAMGBR 2013 Corvallis Oregon

Post by colintf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm

That looks great
Thankyou for sharing that with us :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 am

Looks like a great event, I know the MGB and MGA remain very popular in NA, How much interest is there in adding an F to the stable? I live in hope that a combination of dwindling numbers and the US market opening up to these cars will eventually get them the status they deserve.

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I've taken my MGF to a few car shows in the US and it always draws a big crowd. If Canada is any indication, where there has been around 30 MGF's imported, then there will be many heading for the US once they become 25 years old. The draw back will be that the only cars initially available will be RHD's, which will be an issue for some would-be buyers.
Mark

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm

Great pic' of the green F on the Marin Headlands. I have a few pictures on my B Roadster above Golden Gate from when I lived in West Marin. Would love to hustle along in a MGF over Mt. Tam', alongside Bolinas Lagoon and north Hwy 1 or out to Point Reyes.

andyman
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: mgtf 160

Post by andyman » Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 pm

tidy

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun May 11, 2014 11:21 am

mowog73 wrote:The draw back will be that the only cars initially available will be RHD's, which will be an issue for some would-be buyers.
Not necessarily so, Mark. I had just a quick browse through the registry data and the first MGFs for export to Germany came off the production line in October 1995, and obviously they were all left hand drive.

Thinking about it, many US cars like 'vettes or Mustangs are imported to mainland Europe via Rotterdam by container and I guess there is considerably less return traffic. This means, quite a lot of containers will go back empty, a good point to haggle transport prices. For me, it would be just a two hour drive to Rotterdam harbour and the cars could be prepared this side of the big pond to meet NA registration requirements.

I had a quick talk with John (terreneuve) at Stoneleigh last year about finding some TFs to bring to Canada once they're meeting the 15 year age limit in 2017. It's still a long way down the timeline, but with prices dropping to more or less the same silly level here as in Britain, it might be worth putting some nice examples into storage. One early LHD MGF (driveable but with quite some niggles to fix) went for 400 Euros only recently.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

terreneuve

Post by terreneuve » Sun May 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Mykel

Unfortunately container lines don't like to negotiate and once a container reaches a Canadian seaport costs escalate quite rapidly. You can really only get two cars in one 40ft container without risk of damage or extra expense so normally roll on/ roll off is the cheapest alternative.

For some reason even LHD MGF cars are not selling quickly right now. A large part of that in NA is the car is still relatively unknown in MG clubs over here and the average age of MG club members is probably well over 65 and they just couldn't be bothered by anything built after 1980!!

I try to explain to the older MG generation that if we want to keep the clubs alive we must get younger people interested, and in my opinion, most young people over here aren't really interested in MGB's as that's all they have seen.

There is a group of us over here quite active in promoting the "Modern MG" and it will take time but we seem to be making progress!

We should have a good MGF showing at MG2014 in French Lick, Indiana and I will be bringing my RV8 for this event.

John

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:26 pm

This year there has been quite a bit of interest shown in the MGF if I can go by the number of people that have contacted me and the number of cars that have been bought thus far this year. I truly believe that we will see interest grow in the coming year because there are now five (soon to be six) MGFs in the MGCC of Toronto. At May's monthly meeting, which just took place, a presentation was given introducing the MGF to the club. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the meeting (3 hours away) but my understanding is that the presentation was well received.

We are trying to promote the car, and I know that John is doing a good job of it, and I do believe that it is beginning to pay dividends. We'll have three or four cars at MG2014 pushing the flesh.
Mark

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 pm

mowog73 wrote:This year there has been quite a bit of interest shown in the MGF if I can go by the number of people that have contacted me and the number of cars that have been bought thus far this year. I truly believe that we will see interest grow in the coming year because there are now five (soon to be six) MGFs in the MGCC of Toronto. At May's monthly meeting, which just took place, a presentation was given introducing the MGF to the club. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the meeting (3 hours away) but my understanding is that the presentation was well received.

We are trying to promote the car, and I know that John is doing a good job of it, and I do believe that it is beginning to pay dividends. We'll have three or four cars at MG2014 pushing the flesh.
That is great to hear Mark :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Sat May 17, 2014 7:19 am

I spent a few pleasant hours with John at this years Pride of Longbridge, a good example coming on the availability market now is the 75th anniversary available in lhd form of course (but only silver) the black and mulberry are rhd. In 2016 you can get the Trophy 160, now that's worth waiting for !

I agree with the words about the younger generation, it's the same in the UK and Europe too. Keep promoting the breed lads :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.