The Belgian WW1 weekend (part 2)

Photos and videos of events the MGF Register has been at.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

The Belgian WW1 weekend (part 2)

Post by adrianclifford » Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 am

Here's some more from this extraordinary event, I've tried not to glamorise the nature of the reason we were there, more just to show you what we saw and the way it's put to the visitor.

The Nieuwpoort sluices, from here the sea was allowed in and the whole area between the coast at Nieuwpoort and Ypres was flooded (3x20 km's) to prevent the inevitable advance

A flood level marker point

A section of the parking area at Ramskappelle, it still amazes me that we were there so many times for the DayBeFore start to the annual Kempenrit event and we didn't know what was just around the corner.

When we first went there it was a dusty piece of barren land, now it's all smooth tarmac and landscaped !

One of the defensive posts in Ramskappelle

This is the frontzate (frontline), as you can see it was the single track railway line from Ypres to Nieuwpoort, it's now a path and cycle track. One side was flooded (hence the name Salient) with the soldiers fighting over the dry land on one side and defending the rest with their lives.

This is the remains of the heavy machine gun post at Ramskapelle station with a few German "soldiers" placed as a reminder of that sad time.

Walking along the frontline with our guide

The frontline facing Nieuwpoort, the E40 motorway can be seen ahead, how many times have I driven that road without knowing what was below.

Still in Ramskapelle, many Belgian soldiers also lost their lives in the early stages of the war.

Back in Nieuwpoort, another night shot.

Trench views of the Isjer River, that's how close you were.

A view of the excellent trench preservation.

Large amounts of used, unused and defective ordnance are still being dug up.

Sorry, couldn't resist it !

Sunday lunch stop, another car park closed just for us with a restaurant feeding all of us in no time at all, unbelievable how they do this in Europe.

The field hospital in Essex Farm Cemetery

Another angle, two Essex region TF's at Essex Farm.

Just a section, a small section of the enormous Tynecot cemetery.

Not sure which way the beam fell.

Black Watch Corner at Paschendale.

Pete driving through the Menin Gate.

MG only parking in Ypres (again how do they do that, the place was packed on a busy Sunday night with no parking left hours before the Last Post) !

The famous Menin Gate at sunset.

Again, MG only parking in Popperinge.

We all proudly wore our given car poppies out of respect.

Lastly, these three gentleman were cleaning the headstones with the utmost care, they were using power drills and taking their time, how long does this take when all you can see are white headstones, true respect :thumbsu: .

Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Re: The Belgian WW1 weekend (part 2)

Post by Pete & Lin » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 pm

Its been a long time in trying to get around sorting out the Video I took at the Menin Gate with Adrian & co., but with no car at the moment :cry: and with Remembrance Sunday tomorrow, today was a good day to finally get it sorted.

It can be viewed on my own website (link below). Video was made with my arm at full stretch above my head in order to get a clear view.

* Website link now moved
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:45 am

For the last 30yrs I've visited WW1 & WW2 sites & studied them but it never fails to amaze me what they went through & I suppose no matter how many times you visit these places we'll never appreciate what they went through?
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:07 am

That's very true Neil

Pete & Lin wrote:Its been a long time in trying to get around sorting out the Video I took at the Menin Gate with Adrian & co., but with no car at the moment :cry: and with Remembrance Sunday tomorrow, today was a good day to finally get it sorted.

It can be viewed on my own website (link below). Video was made with my arm at full stretch above my head in order to get a clear view.

http://www.mgfdevonandcornwall.org.uk/photoalbum.html
Very moving Pete 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

malcolm64
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:35 am

Pete only got one word....amazing!

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Well done Pete, such an evocative sound from just four bugles. So solemn, I cannot start to understand how the town (and even the country) live with this every night. They have the utmost respect after all this time and they live with this amount of grief daily with hordes of tourists old and young, amazing really.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Post by Pete & Lin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks for all the comments - the Ceremony we were privileged to witness was indeed very moving, however, concentrating on videoing the ceremony, its full impact didn't really register until we got home and connected the camcorder to the TV.

Having had time to do a bit of editing (file size too big for uploading) I have just finished editing Menin Gate, Part 2 in time for the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month ( Armistice Day ) its the Choir singing Abide with me, this one really hits the emotional 'button'.

(I've removed the link to the D&C regional website & put a direct link here for The Last Post mp4 video)

The Last Post - Menin Gate
http://drive.flowplayer.org/204106/3663 ... stpost.mp4

Abide with me
- Menin Gate
http://drive.flowplayer.org/204106/3683 ... withme.mp4
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:50 am

Lovely Pete, very moving.

malcolm64
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 am

Pete again amazing. The fact that so many people are there paying respects to a generation long gone but never forgotten. This shows the true meaning of respect.
Amazing video and amazing voices in the choir.