Norway August 2014

Photos and videos of events the MGF Register has been at.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Norway August 2014

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm sorry there are so many pictures (60 + in all) but I had to trim down from 1,300 to select these, in fact the country is so gorgeous and a great place to drive I wish you all could go. Most pictures will show Pearl (our Black TF) and Neil & Barbara's white TF but we spent the whole tour together being joined by others from MG Norway at the beginning so it's not surprising. I have many others of the beautiful Ash Green MGA belonging to Bente who stayed with us for several days but this is the MGF Register forum so I've sent those to Andy at Safety Fast. You may notice Dawn done a lot of the driving so I could take pictures and video :D

I hope you enjoy them and, again I'm sorry for the amount.

At the Lindesnes Lighthouse :

The Farsund Resort lunch stop

Sunset over the coast, we were taken there by Vintage Bus and a short walk through a spooky wood:

A typical Norwegian Road ie nobody else on it :lol:

The Bøensbakken Road, closed to traffic since 1965, it hugs the side of the fjord, is single lane and littered with stones and moss, we had special permission to drive it, a treat even for Norwegians :thumbsu:

Alpacas at the Lista Lighthouse :

The breakwater at Moija :

Neil's bonnet :

The lower section of the Lysebotn Road leading to the Lysefjord :

Neil, Steinar and Pearl lined up with a sheer drop to the Fjord right behind :

Neil on the Road 986 :

Roads like these are everywhere, you really cannot ask for more ;

Pearl after her wash at the Groven camp site, this is our cabin ;

At Mæl station, this is the point where the heavy water was bought down by train from the mountain above and shipped out by the Nazi's during WW2, unfortunately the Norwegian Resistance sunk the ferry to destroy the cargo but many local lives were lost too :

The famous Stave Borgund church dating from 1180 ;

Steinar, Neil and Gunnar on the mountains :

Geirangerfjord in the rain ;

Steinar's 80th Anniversary TF :

Inside the Lærdaltunnel (24.5 km's long), the blue light is to relax you :

You really have to watch out for animals that live and feed by the roadside (even in the entrances and exits of tunnels in the bad weather) :

Hood down even in the rain (except when it got too bad of course) ;

Up in the clouds now ;

Barbara under the shower on the Eagles Road ;

The observation point on the Trollstigen, when we arrived we couldn't see the road for cloud but it cleared just while we were there, lucky us :D

Lots of rain means great waterfalls :

Geraingerfjord :

Sun's out in the clouds again :

Snow all around (and it's still August) :

1000 metres above sea level, not as high as Alpine Passes but the climbs in Norway commence at sea level :

The Dalsnibba, the highest point above a fjord in Europe, accessible only by a toll raod for three months in the summer ;

Dawn took Pearl for a noise test :

About to fall off the edge :

The gorgeous view from the cabin :

We picked up a travelling companion, a soft toy Husky with blue eyes to match the real one at home :

Note the house with the grass roof, most out of the cities are finished this way :

It felt like the top of the world :

Another empty open road miles long, bliss 8-) :

I could easily go back as this country never failed to amaze, well done Steinar for arranging our tour 2000 miles of such great drivng and scenery.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Norway August 2014

Post by colintf » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Great photos Adrian
Brings back happy memories from 2 years ago :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

malcolm64
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Adrian i have to agree with Colin absolutely superb photographs. Must have been a hatd decision which ones to chose! :-)

VR 14/30
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by VR 14/30 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Wonderful pictures ! BRAVO, Adrian and thank you to share with us :thumbsu:
MG'calement,

Marina.

braaten
Regional Rep

Post by braaten » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 am

Great picture`s Adrian!! You are a really good with the camera! :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Welcome back to Norway!

Steinar

ErikB
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:37 am

Great shots !!

Norway, Sweden and Denmark are still on the wish list.... let's hope work calms down and I can start to do some planning. Still not sure which car to take: one of the F's and enjoy it just the two of us, the Freelander 2 (and take the daughter with us) or go for something in between: the ZT-T

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:39 am

I'll come with you Erik, you will really enjoy it. To be honest you could enjoy it in any car (MG preferable of course) because we don't drive that fast (unlike the 1000 Bochten) there's so much to see, the roads are that beautiful speed takes a back seat (except driving up the passes where one can't help pushing the right foot). Like many of the top Alpine passes you often find a slow moving car in front but there's so little traffic you can hold back at the bottom to create a gap in between then go for it up the hill.

I wonder why some people rubbish these great little cars, never once did the car cause concern, it made every corner, every bump, every stop when asked, handling and tyres were superb, performance was adequate (one always wants more :D ) but fuel economy was excellent too.

Go find a mountain and drive it :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Tipper
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Great photos of what looks like a great trip.

We did a touring holiday in Norway back in 1981 or 1982. We really enjoyed it especially disappearing down the 'mouse holes' at the foot of a wall of a mountain! The rough hewn tunnels are what I'm on about. The tunnel entrances seemed so small compared with the huge mountains above! Your photos bring back fond memories. :)

ClaraW
MGF Register Region: South Wales

Post by ClaraW » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 pm

I can whole heartedly agree that Norway is a beautiful country to visit. Ken and I did the Arctic Challenge in June of this year and drove all the way to Nordkapp, covering over 4000 miles in 17 days in a 42 year old MG midget. I can recommend it to any one.

colintf

Post by colintf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:17 pm

ClaraW wrote:I can whole heartedly agree that Norway is a beautiful country to visit. Ken and I did the Arctic Challenge in June of this year and drove all the way to Nordkapp, covering over 4000 miles in 17 days in a 42 year old MG midget. I can recommend it to any one.
That story would be a great read :D

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 am

While we were there, an Italian couple called Steinar to say they would like to meet us as they were returning from the Nordkapp having driven from Milan via Finland. We met with them, they now have an Essex MGF Register sticker on their car :D to go with their Arctic Circle ones. They left to return to Italy the following day. Given more time I would love to do that but we're not in a position to do that yet.

Clara I bet you enjoyed that, did you go on any of our route ?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Looks fabulous. We are planning a Scandinavia road trip in 2016 (2015 is Naples) but are in the very early planning stages so not sure if to go for April to catch the northern lights or wait until mid summer.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

colintf

Post by colintf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm

talkingcars wrote:Looks fabulous. We are planning a Scandinavia road trip in 2016 (2015 is Naples) but are in the very early planning stages so not sure if to go for April to catch the northern lights or wait until mid summer.
Personally I would go in their Summer 8-)

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:10 pm

April will have it's own beauty but be aware some roads will not be open, this may mess up any plans on driving the most scenic. The Trollstigen does not open until May according to the people that work in the gift shop on the summit.

I would take the best advice from Steinar.

braaten
Regional Rep

Post by braaten » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 am

April is very early if you want to go with an MGF/TF and drive hood down.
Along the south coast and central area of the southern part of Norway it is a good change for dry roads, but when you move a bit further north you may expect snow. April is a month you have to expect all kind of weather. From snow and slippery roads to sun, warm weather and dry roads.
All roads with great scenery who is winter closed will still be closed in April.
Those roads opens from early May to late May depending on weather. Some of them not before early June.

I will recommend you to use June (early June is best) as the month for traveling. You will then explore the mountain passes on the roads just opened after winter, with much snow along the roads, the weather is usually warm and sunny. If you are going north of the arctic circle you will explore the midnight sun, 24 hrs day light in a period in June. Its not dark for a second during the 24 hrs! The sun never goes down. If you are at the sea you will se the sun (at midnight) go down to the sea level in the horizon, and rise again, more or less like a fighter plane do an "touch and go" on the runway! (well, not at the same speed as the fighter....)

If you need help to find good routes etc. just send me an email: norway@mgfregister.org

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 am

That is why the Norway EOTY was in early June. Driving mile after mile thru 20 Ft Snow banks and snow covered plains and that was only South of Geiranger. Must dig out some pictures and Video from the onboard camera.
Several MGBs went North afterwards but it is nearly twice as far again so we only went up to Alesund.
We use Microsoft Autoroute for all our European Travel planning which has the advantage of the GPS Function to make a recovery plan should we get lost.
Geoff F.

colintf

Post by colintf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:16 am

Geoff.F wrote:That is why the Norway EOTY was in early June. Driving mile after mile thru 20 Ft Snow banks and snow covered plains and that was only South of Geiranger. Must dig out some pictures and Video from the onboard camera.
Several MGBs went North afterwards but it is nearly twice as far again so we only went up to Alesund.
We use Microsoft Autoroute for all our European Travel planning which has the advantage of the GPS Function to make a recovery plan should we get lost.
Geoff F.
the snow banks were still there in early August after EEOTY Sweden 2 years ago 8-)

Colin Murrell