The Judder under acceleration

The Lincolnshire Area, where the sausages come from.

Moderator: Geoff and Vicki Edge

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

The Judder under acceleration

Post by Plezier » Tue May 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Some might recall that I have been trying to chase down this annoying judder under load and acceleration in "Elsie" the BRG VVC. Well we may have found it while fittinga replacement heater hose which spilt the other Sunday on the way home from the Burleigh House event. When jacking her up to get underneath and place the stands I noticed that the N/S front mounting of the rear subframe moved. Closer inspection revealed that both bolts were not tightened up correctly :o . I believe that she has had the rear subfrme out for an engine change before I acquired her and perhaps they didn't tighten them up properly.

They are now tight and once we get coolant in her and the system bled we will eb able to see if this indeed was the source of the judder.

Plezier

Re: The Judder under acceleration

Post by Plezier » Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am

Well it's abit better but the judder remains so will just have to keep looking :roll: .

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed May 13, 2015 7:55 am

Have decided to go back to basics in tracking down this little issue. First job is the get the wheels balance checked and at the same time check for buckled rims.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu May 28, 2015 11:32 am

It would seem that this judder might have been the O/S inner CV joint. The mishap which took a chunk out of the O/S/R alloy wheel rim has finished off the Inner CV joint. As to if the drive shaft is bent that is not clear at this point. So "Elsie" is now SORN'd whilst this and some other outstanding jobs are tackled

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Yippee it seems as suspected changing the driveshaft for one with a good CV joint has lost the judder. Although she has only been driven to the garage for a quote on some body welding, rear sills and wheel arches, but the judder was abscent 8-) . As the whack also seems to have damaged the hub bearing, either that or it was just plain worn, the hub was also swapped at he same time.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 pm

It may have been weak and the bump finished it off.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:17 pm

That is what I suspect as I found an old split in the boot. The mess I atributed to a weeping gear box seal which is now replaced.