Look at the state of that, poor old sod

The region for Herts & North London

Moderator: Dave J

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Look at the state of that, poor old sod

Post by cath's mg » Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Whilst driving along the A14 this morning at 6:23am doing a nice sedate *55mph, thinking about how unfair life was because It was only Monday, planning how I would spend my Lottery win (Cath just called me a silly bugger as I don’t do the Lottery) and wondering whether to turn the heating down in my nice warm works transit van or pull over and take me coat off :? .
I was overtaken by a somewhat (how can I put this politely) less than concourse condition, slightly familiar looking sports car with more stickers on it than a West End phone box. As the car drew level at what I would estimate a nice steady *60mph I thought to myself that poor old car would go a lot faster if the guy inside didn’t weigh at least 30 stone. A split second later I realised that the passenger side window was flapping around like a pair of baggy Bloomers on a washing line, the driver very politely indicated he was moving back into the inside lane and I realised that the rear lights were from a MGF but the hard Top didn’t look right :? . I noticed the driver’s side window was also flapping about like the afore mentioned Bloomers but in a gale.
It was then I realised that the poor sod wasn’t 30 stone but had more clothes on than Captain Scott on his trip to the South Pole.
Anyway as the car speed away doing about *60mph I said to myself “that guy could really do with reading Master Yoda’s how too on fixing windows”, and if I saw it further up the road with the Hazards I would stop and give the poor old sod a few quid for a cup of Coffee 8-) .
Project Shed.jpg
BANG…………….the penny dropped.

It was Rob (Master Yoda) Bell in Project Shed on his was to Snetterton :oops: .
No wonder it took me a while to recognise it as an F, with his fancy new Racing Hard Top.
So with lots of flashing of Headlights and Indicators (mine), Master Yoda was disappearing into the distance.
Sod this I thought, I’ll catch up with him, he’s sure to recognise me. I increased my speed to *63mph, gradually I caught up, more flashing of lights (mine again) and no response from Master Yoda :rant:
Jeeze Rob don’t race cars have rear view mirrors !!!!!
Bugger this I’m going to get past him, another slight dip on the accelerator *65mph :evil: .
Passed him, bugger it ..... the F is so low and the Transit so high I couldn’t even see inside the nearside window :? .
I wound down my window, pulled into the nearside lane and slowed a little, sure enough Master Yoda indicated, pulled out into the outside lane.
Now I’m hanging out the window, waving, beeping horn and flashing lights :sf: ……………Yes he waved back :D .
I doubt very much that Rob knew the maniac in the Red Transit chasing him down the A14 was me, how could he? I would have more chance burning my bum on a snowball that him seeing who was driving a transit.
Anyway the moral of this little story is don’t judge a car by its bodywork, look under the Engine access panel.
Hope you had a great day racing Rob

Gary :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

*The speed limits stated in this story are purely fictitious, to protect the guilty. :o :o
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

purplebargeken
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Re: Look at the state of that, poor old sod

Post by purplebargeken » Mon May 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Oh dear. What a sad tale of less than observant MGF drivers.

Thank goodness for concerned Transit drivers - watch that snowball mate.

Hope Snetterton was good Rob.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

john1964

Post by john1964 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Haha nice one,Rob Bell pay attention man!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 13, 2014 3:17 pm

:lol: 8-) I did wonder what the loon in the Transit was doing flashing his headlamps and wondered whether the back of the car was on fire! But twigged it when I saw the corporate logos on the van as you passed at *65mph :lol:

Great to see you - and what a coincidence! We'd probably have failed to co-ordinate that on purpose! :lol:

Snetterton was brilliant - I probably needed a boat more than a car, but the new tyres were simply fantastic and better than I thought possible given the wet conditions!

The biggest bonus was that they extended our track time from 20 to 30 minute slots every hour - so even more track time :D

Absolutely brilliant day, and the Shed performed faultlessly all day on track, going at speeds that belie its currently modest engine performance. The drivers window kept on flapping, obviously ;)

Unfortunately on the A11 on the way home, the car started to smoke: oil was dripping from the front (exhaust-side) of the engine down onto the exhaust manifold and burning off.

Nuts!!! Had quite a wait for the AA to collect me and the 'Shed back home - but it is looking suspiciously like a cam seal has popped off... grrr... the question is "why?" Will need to check the breathers to ensure that the crank case is not over-pressurising. More investigations!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Wish I could have sneaked over to the circuit to see PS preform how you have built her too, instead of pottering along the A14 at 60 :twisted: :twisted:
You did look a little on the chilly side Rob, are the windows designed like that to get better air flow to the engine :lol: :lol:
Catch up with you soon mate :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Believe it or not, that window was better aligned after an hour of tinkering on Sunday! The problem I have is that the polycarbonate is not as stiff as glass and I haven't been able to apply a consistent enough heat source to enable me to give it a similar curvature to the glass. So yes, that means flappy window! :lol:

The passenger side is still glass and fits pretty well - and will likely stay that way for now - at least until I figure out how on earth I can get the driver's side plastic to fit properly!

It does save a fair amount of weight though! :lol:

BTW not too chilly: plenty of layers and an electrically heated jacket - I was nice and snug! :thumbsu: Who needs a car heater? :lol:

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue May 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Muahaha, Gary, ROFLMAO at that story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 14, 2014 1:51 pm

You lot don't know class when you see it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheddy and proud! ;) :lol:

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed May 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Sheddy and proud! ;) :lol:
Or as the Mayor of Berlin once said about his city: poor but sexy :thumbsu: 8-)
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Wed May 14, 2014 3:10 pm

As my dear old Nan used to say "A good name is better than riches " :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Fri May 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Awesome! I'm still chuckling at 3rd reading :)
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon May 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Isn't it strange how you remember details of things a while after they happen !!!
As some of you may have guessed my nickname for Mr Bell is Master Yoda. Now this is not meant to be a comparison on the good looks (or not) of either :o
yoda2.jpg
But on Rob's knowledge of these cars we all love to drive but hate to work on :shutup:
I have only just remembered this detail about seeing Rob on his way to Snetterton last week, but I think I have found out how he has so much information on F/TF's
I have remembered that Rob had a piece of white wire hanging down each side of his face :o . Alarmingly these were connected to his ear's :twisted:

To me this is self explanatory, Rob is an alien getting his information for an extra terrestrial source :o
I may have called Rob Master Yoda as I sign of respect...................But could it really be him 8-) 8-)

Cath has just read this and her response confirms it for me.................She has always liked and believed in E T'S :roll:........... and she likes Rob :o

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 am

Use the force you must :lol:

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Tue May 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Hold it right there, guys ... some people actually have to - uhm - WORK whilst risking a slight glance at new posts on the forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 pm

cath's mg wrote:Isn't it strange how you remember details of things a while after they happen !!!
As some of you may have guessed my nickname for Mr Bell is Master Yoda. Now this is not meant to be a comparison on the good looks (or not) of either :o
But on Rob's knowledge of these cars we all love to drive but hate to work on :shutup:
I have only just remembered this detail about seeing Rob on his way to Snetterton last week, but I think I have found out how he has so much information on F/TF's
I have remembered that Rob had a piece of white wire hanging down each side of his face :o . Alarmingly these were connected to his ear's :twisted:

To me this is self explanatory, Rob is an alien getting his information for an extra terrestrial source :o
I may have called Rob Master Yoda as I sign of respect...................But could it really be him 8-) 8-)

Cath has just read this and her response confirms it for me.................She has always liked and believed in E T'S :roll:........... and she likes Rob :o
Sorry to resurrect old posts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I knew I was right
yoda.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I need to get out more :shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 pm

More proof
Rob.png
:o :o

purplebargeken
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by purplebargeken » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 pm

The two white cables were power supplies linked directly to his brain. Brain powered MG! Oh yes. Mine probably wouldn't even turn over the starter motor at this point in time.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:11 am

:lol:

It really help to cut fuel bills you know! :lol: