New Toy :-)

The region for Herts & North London

Moderator: Dave J

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

New Toy :-)

Post by cath's mg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:59 pm

Gave Cath a quick Lube this afternoon :D ......................ouch (got a slap round the head)..........................................Well her F got a Lube.
Waiting for the postie to deliver some black pop rivets this morning when this arrived (thanks for the link Rob)
hydraulic_cable_oiler.jpg
So after much sulking and stamping of feet because the rivets hadn't arrived :rant: I decided to give the Lube contraption a go :?
Any way after reading the instructions (honest I did), watching a video Rob Bell posted on another thread and many of those looks from "she who must be obeyed", come on guys you know what I mean :roll: :roll: I decided to give it a go.

Well the first sign that the LOOK's may have been well placed was after putting some tools in the boot I went back to get my obligatory cuppa :D
Only took a few steps and OHH BUGGER I realised I had shut the keys in the boot :oops: :oops:

No problem, sneak in get my Tea and the spare Key from the draw, she who has eyes everywhere wouldn't know a thing :D :D

No chance, got spotted straight away :oops: :oops:

Well after a few more looks that can freeze HELL over :twisted: I returned rather sheepishly back to the car :( :(

So with little thought I decided to disconnect the cable from the Boot end (lot less mucking about)...............OHH BUGGER I forgot about this little bugger
cable.jpg
It wont fit the Oiler attachments :rant: So disconnected the cable from the Bonnet end, bit more faffing about but no big deal.
This end fitted the oiler a treat :D It took three refills of the Oiler before the oil started dribbling out from the other end, Happy Days :D :D
While I had access to Bonnet release mechanism decided to give it a good coating of Copper grease :D

Put everything back together again just as SWMBO came out.

Ohh bugger I though I am bound to have left something loose :shutup: :shutup:

But no Cath opened the bonnet several times without any problems :D :D :D

Jeeze working on this MGF is easy :D :D well it is until I bugger something else up :shutup: :shutup:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

purplebargeken
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Re: New Toy :-)

Post by purplebargeken » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Tricky things cables aren't they Gary.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:40 am

purplebargeken wrote:Tricky things cables aren't they Gary.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Great job Gary - how does the cable feel now to operate? :)

Probably worth doing by bonnet release (not on Project Shed, obviously, that doesn't have or need a bonnet release! :lol:) A slight phaff though to get to the bonnet end of the cable though?

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Great job Gary - how does the cable feel now to operate? :)

Probably worth doing by bonnet release (not on Project Shed, obviously, that doesn't have or need a bonnet release! :lol:) A slight phaff though to get to the bonnet end of the cable though?
Hi Rob,
To be honest it didn't feel that much different, as the cable on Cath's F is new and quite easy to open, I greased up the release mechanism when I fitted it.
Im looking at it as a preventative treatment, and hopefully extend the life of the cable.

We managed to open the Bonnet on Mable on Sunday (thanks for the tip :D ) and fitted a new cable, gave that a good oiling too :D
As you suggested, the cable had snapped at the point it joined the metal loop that attaches to the release mechanism.
I striped out the old cable from its outer covering and it looked perfect apart from the last couple in inches at the snapped end, this had gone rusty. Slapped plenty of grease at that end of the new cable so hopefully it should last a good while.

Having now changed a cable that was very stiff and one that had snapped, I would recommend people check the cable at the Bonnet end.
If it shows any sign of rust change it, its a lot less agro than waiting until it snaps :rant:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Good advice Gary!

What are you using to lubricate the cable? I didn't watch the "how to" video for its full length, but it looked like the guy on YouTube was using old engine oil?!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Used engine oil on Cath's F and 3 in 1 on Mable.
Not sure which is best to be honest, though engine oils is a bit thicker :?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Perhaps used engine oil is best then? As it happens I have to dispose of some, so this is a bit of good recycling (or is it "upcycling" these days? :lol:)

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm

I call it using what you have to hand while saving a few pennies :D :D