Not an F/TF but it is a MG

The region for Herts & North London

Moderator: Dave J

cath's mg
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF

Not an F/TF but it is a MG

Post by cath's mg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 am

Well after months of procrastinating, cajoling (in the case of Ken out and out bullying) from various members of the H & NL region I have brought a MG for myself.
DSC04819.JPG
Ok, Ok, I know it’s not an F/TF, for practical reasons it just isn’t feasible at the moment (but I will get one for myself eventually), and this was indeed a very sick MG that needed saving.
Rather impulsively I brought Dr Z (see registration plate) from the Bay of E without seeing it for £581. I know it was a stupid thing to do, but I liked the colour and it has nice seats :o .
The seller’s description turned out to be very accurate, Good Body work, clean interior and smokes like a damp barbeque :shutup: .
I submitted the winning bid at about 9pm on a Friday evening.
I phoned Ken and Dave to let them know I had now become an MG owner in my own right; both where very happy that their efforts of persuasion over the past months had finally paid off :D .
Dave who some of you may know, is a very local community minded person and can regularly be found supporting many of his local public houses on a Friday evening, was in an extremely jolly frame of mind and insisted on taking me to Thetford the next morning to collect the car.
As promised Dave turned on Saturday looking a tad under the weather, after Cath & I asked if he was ok, he insisted he was fine and had probably eaten a dodgy piece of fruit on his tour of his local hostelries :roll: . After a quick brew (Dave refused the offer of Cath’s legendary Bacon Sarnies, can’t think why) we set off in Dave’s Blue F.
The trip to Thetford was very pleasant, a nice sunny day, top down and Dave’s F purring like a Tiger with a full belly. An hour and half later we arrived at Thetford. I looked over the car (don’t really know why as I didn’t have a clue what to look for), filled out the paperwork and handed over my luncheon vouchers we headed back home with Dave following behind in case of a breakdown.
I did notice a puff of smoke when I pulled away but it didn’t seem too bad. Result I thought to myself this car isn’t a sick as the seller had thought.
Well Dave and I had sorted out a place to grab a quick brew and something to eat (if Dave was well enough) on the way up, as we pulled in I did notice a bit more smoke but still didn’t think it was that bad, That was until Dave got out of his car and looked like the Fireman from the Flying Scotsman :rant: .
Let this be a lesson to all F/TF owners, don’t follow a heavily smoking ZT-T CDTi with the roof down :lol: .
After our pit stop Dave was looking a bit healthier, this may have been due to a rather greasy but tasty cheese burger or the fact he wasn’t breathing in pure diesel fumes we set off for home down some nice country lanes with a few nice long straights. As some may have read from a previous post, I don’t mind putting my foot down now and then, after all I did overtake Master Yoda in Project Shed while driving my work van :twisted: , I decided to see what this poorly MG ZT-T would do and was very pleasantly surprised. Dr Z accelerated like the proverbial S**T of a shovel and cornered like it was on rails :thumbsu: .
Well after getting the car home and having a few people check it out, the common diagnosis was Injector problems (what’s all that about, I have only just found out what spark plugs do).
Ken managed to find a guy in Borehamwood who has a T4, so arrangements were made to take Dr Z over.
Now bearing in mind Cath has an MGF and most of the people we have associated with in the MG world are F/TF owners, you can imagine how relived I was to find that Kenton is as passionate about ZT’s as most of us are about F/TF’s.
If anyone on here has a ZT or 75 that needs checking out, I really can’t recommend Kenton enough. He only works on ZT/75’s and has a genuine passion for these cars and just as important, takes pride in his work.
Below is a link to his profile on the 75 – ZT forum
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/m ... hp?u=23084
Well I won’t bore you all with the details of the work Kenton carried out, I will save that for the
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php

The upshot is after 7 days in Kenton’s very capable hands I am now the proud owner of a 2003, MGZT-T CDTi, with 160,000 miles on the clock that run’s like a train, purrs like a cat and doesn’t suffer from any smoking what so ever, even on start up :D :D :D

Gary :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Cath's car but Gary's plaything :-)

mimo
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Re: Not an F/TF but it is a MG

Post by mimo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

Nice cars those 3series BMW's. :P
Tempted myself, but not heavy enough to tow my caravan. :(

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Very nice,keep toying with idea of a zt-t as it would fit into our lifestyle well, im sick of having to call at fuel stations with the 4.7 grand chrokee and a zt would be bigenough to pull my caravan. Sounds allot of miles but for the money it is alot of car.

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I have seen ZT's towing Caravan's but admittedly not the larger models.
The BMW engines are pretty bullet proof as long as they are serviced regularly. I have seen quite a few posts for the CDTi with 400k and still going strong.
Still given a choice to drive the ZT-T or Cath's F.............................the F wins hands down...............................but don't tell Cath :roll:

purplebargeken
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by purplebargeken » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Having driven the car whilst it was sick and Gary sat next to me grinning like a demented Cheshire cat, I can confirm that it is a good'un. I'm very pleased to have found a good chap locally who turned Gary's car back into what it should be. Can't wait to see the car now mate. Thankfully without a smoke cloud following it. Trust me folks, it was bad!

Damn, another car to add to the bucket list.

Looking forward to doing a comparison between your big MG and my V6 75. Should be fun.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:32 pm

purplebargeken wrote:Having driven the car whilst it was sick and Gary sat next to me grinning like a demented Cheshire cat, I can confirm that it is a good'un. I'm very pleased to have found a good chap locally who turned Gary's car back into what it should be. Can't wait to see the car now mate. Thankfully without a smoke cloud following it. Trust me folks, it was bad!

Damn, another car to add to the bucket list.

Looking forward to doing a comparison between your big MG and my V6 75. Should be fun.
It was smoking worse than one of your mates steam engines wasn't it mate :shutup: :shutup: but now its running cleaner than a nun's fart :oops: :oops:

Is it a true MG ??...................probably in my heart of hearts ................................. NO.............a MG will always be a sports car that has its quirks but is soooo much fun to drive :D :D ........................but lets not forget................ some purists don't accept the F/TF as an MG, I am not one of those :D :D

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Nice one, I prefer the ZS but if I had to have an estate it'd be a V8 ZT-T.
cath's mg wrote:Is it a true MG ??...................probably in my heart of hearts ................................. NO.............a MG will always be a sports car that has its quirks but is soooo much fun to drive :D :D ........................but lets not forget................ some purists don't accept the F/TF as an MG, I am not one of those :D :D
Not driven a ZT but the ZS's, ZR, maestros, montegos and metros that I have owned have all been sporter than the Austin or Rover versions so fit into the "sports car" bracket, and all had quirks.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:47 pm

talkingcars wrote:, and all had quirks.
Well the ZT-T certainly has some of those :o ...................why would anyone build a car with just one cup holder and put a blank plate where the other should be :?

Kenton

Post by Kenton » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Gary, many thanks for the kind words...........

and yes I have a number of ZTs and ZT-T's that will pull a caravan ( :o ) :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Martin_Bmth
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Post by Martin_Bmth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:01 am

nice car. :-)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet

mimo
MGF Register Region: East Midlands

Post by mimo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:34 am

cath's mg wrote:I have seen ZT's towing Caravan's but admittedly not the larger models.
The BMW engines are pretty bullet proof as long as they are serviced regularly. I have seen quite a few posts for the CDTi with 400k and still going strong.
Still given a choice to drive the ZT-T or Cath's F.............................the F wins hands down...............................but don't tell Cath :roll:
yep, me too and I have always loved the zt-t since their launch (when I bought a brand new ZR :thumbsu: )
just checked the comparability again with my caravan , and it would really struggle compared to my xtrail :rant:

purplebargeken

Post by purplebargeken » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Well Gary's Big MG is as smokeless as a smokeless thing. Now running beautifully thanks to the kind attention of Kenton. We popped over to his place in Borehamwood today and had a look at his cars/projects. All good stuff :D

Gary is now bullying me in the general direction of a MG ZTT. You're a bad man. A very bad man indeed.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

cath's mg

Post by cath's mg » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:32 pm

purplebargeken wrote:Gary is now bullying me in the general direction of a MG ZTT. You're a bad man. A very bad man indeed.
Go on Ken you know that Anthracite ZT-T is just crying out "buy me buy me Ken" How can you possibly refuse :twisted:

purplebargeken

Post by purplebargeken » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Lack of money is always a help :)