Step Speed transmission

The region for Herts & North London

Moderator: Dave J

bennyboy
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Step Speed transmission

Post by bennyboy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:01 am

What do forum members feel about step speed models?. Are the gearboxes reliable, and do they ruin the driving experience?. This one looks good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-1-8-Frees ... 4d38b3f305

Dave J
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: Poseidon TF160

Re: Step Speed transmission

Post by Dave J » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 am

To be honest i dont know much about "Steppie's" as i haven't had one and no member's of this region have ??? ... an old member had 2 after one got written off and i can't recall him ever having problems with it.
That does look a stunning car :thumbsu:

Dave
herts@mgfregister.org

2004 monogram Poseidon TF160
2003 monogram Lagoon TF135
2017 MG3

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:46 am

Hi Benny,

I have been driving a steppy for almost 2 years now and from my point of view it’s big fun. As a daily driver, she is relaxed and easy to drive, especially in stop-and-go commuter traffic. But if you floor the pedal, the revs will shoot up to 4.5 k and stay there until you reach 100 mph, the car just pulls and pulls, without any shifting. On the other hand, this will lead to serious gas-guzzling, to stay economical with a steppy you have to be quite light on the right foot. But if you plan to use her as a fun and tour car, I’d go for a manual. I know why I have two of them … :lol:

As to reliability: Mine is now at 85,000 miles and still on the first gearbox. They do need a lot of attention, oil change every year and filter change (which is quite a pita) every other. I do think the gearbox on mine will need a major service (bearings, torsion springs) sometime soon, but I’m hoping to get access to the 100 k club on here with this car.

The offer you found looks good, especially as it’s a Freestyle SE. But 6 previous owners would worry me, also the price is a bit low for a Freestyle with all the gimmicks it comes with, like glass rear window and hard top. I paid 1,100 for mine with hard top and similar mileage, and that’s a Wedgewood SE. So I’d bring along someone who has experience with the gearbox and have a very close look (and open ears!).

Sounds very tempting, though, If I didn’t already have a shed full of things to fix, I’d just hop over the Channel again. 8-)
Last edited by Mykel on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Not much to add up to Mykels story. I drive a 2005 TF steppy and the car is in our family for about 4 years now. It is swift in every day traffic using the "golf ball" flippers when driving for fun. This results in a behaviour of the engine you are used to when driving a manual shift car. It is not a super fast switch between gears but you can't beat it with a normal gear box.

During these years I haven't been faced with any gear box problems, neither did the previous owner. (70k km)
As the manuals have their noises switching into reverse gear, the Steppy Michu be a bit aggressive at a cold start but that is just my experience.

Service, durability.
In recent years numerous cars have been equipped with CVT gear boxes so the knowledge in workshops has risen to an acceptable level, I know for me it is easy, I live nearby the place they invented and tuned the system.

Like Mykel, I compare the Steppy to a manual, that sits aside in the garage.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Kasper wrote:In recent years numerous cars have been equipped with CVT gear boxes so the knowledge in workshops has risen to an acceptable level, I know for me it is easy, I live nearby the place they invented and tuned the system.
DAF variomatic...............
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:05 am

talkingcars wrote:
Kasper wrote:In recent years numerous cars have been equipped with CVT gear boxes so the knowledge in workshops has risen to an acceptable level, I know for me it is easy, I live nearby the place they invented and tuned the system.
DAF variomatic...............
Well they've come from far.....
50 years of development.
Basically it is the same, only the other way around, push rather than pull....
Allthough the principle is very simple it took a lot of learning and errors before it became a well working gear box.

Hence its reputation.

Although in general good ideas are simple and do not need much time to develop.....
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be