Speaker upgrades

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Speaker upgrades

Post by colintf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:10 am

Paiceybaby wrote:Was the dynamat easy to fit and where abouts did you put it?

Sent from my iPaicey using Tapatalk
To be honest it was 9 years ago now so memory a bit sketchy but it was in the doors

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi all
My TF has just had a D A B Sony head unit put in which I bought from Halfords at a big discount [85% ] and 3 yrs ago i soundproofed the whole car Image
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:21 am

I put "Brown Bread" - a Dynamat equivalent - on the inside of the door skins and also over the inspection cover. I need to add more I think, but at the time I didn't want to add too much weight as I was also using the car for sprints and hillclimbs!

Project Shed is being used for that purpose now, so that frees up my other MGF for a better sound insulation.

I am interested in some of the sound insulation that Allan (Diesel Destroyer) has used - closed-cell foam I think it was called - might make a better alternative to the standard sound deadening material. It also may be lighter, which would be a bonus, not to mention that it won't retain moisture in the same way! :lol:

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Does dynamat reduce the sound imperfections significantly enough to justify its quite expensive price tag? And where best to insulta to get best results?
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:13 pm

What would be really handy is a volume control on the steering wheel. Anyone done that?
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:21 pm

stuart wrote:What would be really handy is a volume control on the steering wheel. Anyone done that?
Me :)

Only alteration over the standard mk2 set up (apart from a new head unit, active sub and auto changer).
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:19 pm

stuart wrote:What would be really handy is a volume control on the steering wheel. Anyone done that?
Mykel has done this, and I plan to do this, using the volume/tuning control switch cluster from a Rover 200/25 - the steering wheel is essentially the same, so the switch can be retro fitted to the MGF/TF steering wheel. In fact, I got a Rover 45 steering wheel for its cruise control switches - so you can see where I am going with this plan! :lol:

You can buy an interface box to integrate the Rover control switches with the head unit in your car fairly cheaply... I got one for my Pioneer in the ZTT - works a treat :D

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Perfect Rob- looking forward to a detailed 'how to guide' :thumbsu:

An essential upgrade I think!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Rob Bell wrote:... and I plan to do this, using the volume/tuning control switch cluster from a Rover 200/25 - the steering wheel is essentially the same, so the switch can be retro fitted to the MGF/TF steering wheel. In fact, I got a Rover 45 steering wheel for its cruise control switches - so you can see where I am going with this plan! :lol:.............
I've got the audio controls working and have the cruise control working but haven't connected the switches, yet.

The arc of the F wheel is slightly smaller than the other wheels so you get a gap, no matter how hard you try, I got around this by using some carefully applied black mastic.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:... and I plan to do this, using the volume/tuning control switch cluster from a Rover 200/25 - the steering wheel is essentially the same, so the switch can be retro fitted to the MGF/TF steering wheel. In fact, I got a Rover 45 steering wheel for its cruise control switches - so you can see where I am going with this plan! :lol:.............
I've got the audio controls working and have the cruise control working but haven't connected the switches, yet.

The arc of the F wheel is slightly smaller than the other wheels so you get a gap, no matter how hard you try, I got around this by using some carefully applied black mastic.
Very cunning - and thanks for the heads up on this :) :thumbsu:

nismo
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135 LE500 #264

Post by nismo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:30 pm

My LE has a volume control and track/station switching bonded to steering wheel, very neat job but alas not my own mod it was all ready done by Martin.

David
The older I get the faster I was.