Speaker upgrades

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Paiceybaby
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Mgf tf

Speaker upgrades

Post by Paiceybaby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:12 am

Hello people, I am considering at some point upgrading the speakers in my tf, both front and rear. There are loads to choose from for the front, less so for the rear so I wanted to ask as there is no section here for ICE as the youngsters call it, what have you done to your speakers? Have you just upgraded fronts, have you used passive or active crossovers and so on, anyone fitted components into the rear and any difference? Subs? Amps, location, makes and so on.
I'm suprised there is no section for this, I know most get enjoyment from the sound if the car and also it's hard to hear the stereo at times but surely all the more reason to swap ideas tips and tricks.

So, what have you done to your f/tf

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Speaker upgrades

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 am

Subs have been mounted in various locations - behind or under the seat, or in the passenger foot well being the commonest locations. However, if you can live with out the storage, you could use the space occupied by the glove box or by the central cubby bin.

Amplifiers have been fitted in similar locations to that described above.

I use Infiniti Kappa components. The tweeters are in the MY2000/TF door position, which isn't optimal for sound imaging, but looks OEM and is adequate.

I am not sure you really need to go overboard on the T-bar speakers - they are there more for in-fill in the mid range. Plus the size is slightly unusual (small) so the availability is more limited as a result.

Why isn't there an ICE section? You are right, there isn't either here or on many other MG forum I can think of. Part of the reason may be that the car is not the ideal one for a top-end stereo install. It's a fairly noise roadster environment, and with the roof down, any sound imaging tends to go literally out of the window... and the roof... :lol:

Which reminds me, I have an amplifier that I've been intending to fit for the last 10 years!!! :lol:

koaster
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Freestyle

Post by koaster » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Lets get an ICE section on here, you should have seen the god awful 1990s Kenwood unit that was in my F when I picked it up…! It made me feel sick, it went within 20 minutes of owning the car and now I'm happy with the set up but like you've said, will be adding an amplifier and some beefier speakers soon. Might as well share my bad taste in music with pedestrians when the roof is down.
"As your attorney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no roof"

(insta/tweet @joekoaster, or read my creative real life http://h2koa.blogspot.co.uk)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Do you think there is enough demand to justify a sub-section - or can it be managed within either a general or technical thread? You'd be right in thinking that the ICE-related threads would not be kept together as an easily tapped resource if done that way (as it has been up until now).

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Personally, I think there should be a section dedicated to it for the exact reason you said Rob, because it's a noisy roadster some people will want to hear their music so anyone who has good knowledge should have a place they can share easily and people that want to find stuff out can do so easily. I belonged to the 75&zt clan before and that's a car that you wouldn't kinda expect people to mod with sound but they do because they can, same here just maybe not to such an extent but to have a place readily available (even if used infrequently) would be a bonus.

Just my 2pence worth as I kinda suggested it with the OP lol

Sent from my iPaicey using Tapatalk

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:07 pm

How about a section for ICE and electronics? That would give more traffic than an ICE section alone and would make it easier to find posts about central locking or electric window lifts as well. There is nothing worse than a forum that is so compartmentalised that there is no traffic. I already waste far too much time online moving from sub-forum to sub-forum.
That said, I have upgraded my MGF to the TF speaker layout using better quality speakers with crossovers on the fronts. I'm still not sure whet they do, they were fitted by the previous owner in Japan. He fitted a high-ish end Pioneer deck as well but unfortunately the Japanese frequency range seems to be different than ours as I can only access the lower end of the spectrum! Fortunately it has an IPOD jack as that's what I listen to 95% of the time.

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Could be a general mods section maybe? We do have a section for technical for problems but you can become bogged down like you say with subsection after subsection, but I think a mods section would be useful to show off your upgrades especially ICE. I do think this is worth consideration, I know I'm a newbie here so really don't want to step on people's toes and apologise if I have.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:52 am

I always thought mods would be best covered in the technical section?

ICE & security might be a good fit...

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 am

Cheers Rob, Sounds good to me, I do think there is a wealth of untapped knowledge out there that could be brought into a central place.
I think with regards to mods as such we are lucky that there are very few chav add ons, but that of course is an each to there own kinda thing, I do like that you can upgrade easily, myself having changed the seats and wheels, not so much mods but upgrades, it's a subtle way of making it your own even if it does make it look the same as another model lol but after that you can do all sorts from paintwork to wheel painting and so on.
There are the purists out there who love to keep there cars as they came off the line and I'm totally cool with that but it's nice to see people having upgraded certain parts, taking the time effort and money to tweak their cars.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:06 am

There are some very non-standard cars out there - my own two included (although one doesn't look that modified ;))

Actually, I doubt that there are that many completely standard cars on this forum? :lol:

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:22 am

Lol this is true, we are very lucky that some cars fall apart and get broken allowing others to improve their own. All my bits so far have come off one car that's local to me and I have gotten some real bargains. Lol

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:35 am

One thing to keep in mind that ICE, while not that important to us old codgers is a very big deal to young MG owners.
A forum dealing with it may fit into the club's goal of getting more young people interested.
(Sort of an online glow-car thing)

Myself, while admittedly being a codger I wouldn't mind finding out more about Parrots and other hands-free stuff,
and also just what the heck a crossover does! :?

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:22 am

I too am an old git, but I do love a good tune playing on the old radiogram. I do think MG's do have a rep for being older peoples cars but many youngsters have them now as they are so cheap to buy, and damn do they love that hippity hoppity music blaring. Let's teach them who sir terry wogan is shall we, not sure how he sounds through a sub though lol

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Here you go guys viewforum.php?f=68 :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks James! I'll move this thread to the new section :D

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Thankyou guys, I hope it proves popular :-)

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Definitely worth having this on here.

I've enquirer in the past about some potential upgrades, its stil useful, to know. There's a lot you an do with even the standard head units being shared with BMW models, so ome sharing of ideas would be good...I drove up to Buxton this weekend and while it was nice and sunny, too cold windy for roof down...cue time for listening to music,

Just with the sound quality was better! Ill be watching this topic with interest!:D
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 pm

So what head units are people running? I have a sony xplod 2500 in my tf as it has a grey facia which matches the car interior. And it's so handy having the music playing from my phone without wires getting in the way, standard speakers at the moment but I think I shall upgrade all of them, maybe get an amp too at some point. The rears I know are more for sound fill, they are 6x4 but are they a standard fit? Do they need to be a low profile or will any 6x4 do? The fronts I am considering replacing both the mids and tweeters, again any recommendations?

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 am

Alpine head unit fitted when the TF was new and pioneer speakers + dynamat fitted not long after that :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Paiceybaby

Post by Paiceybaby » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:23 am

Was the dynamat easy to fit and where abouts did you put it?