Door speakers not working

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Door speakers not working

Post by Plezier » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

In my project MGF VVC the "T" Bar speakers are the only ones that work :cry: .............................. so will have to replace the door ones most likely. I am guessing they have rotted but not checked as yet but doubt my luck with be that good to find it's just connections..

So suggestions for replacements that are not too intrusive nor too expensive would be most appreciated :thumbsu: .

Cybertec
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Re: Door speakers not working

Post by Cybertec » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Uncannily this is todays job......

I bought these which arrived this morning, (this is the best price I have found for them.....)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juice-JS6C-240W ... Juice+js6c

Some tolk will swear by Alpine, infiniti, JBL....but equal numbers will claim they are wrong....its all subjective and down to our ever ageing ears....mine have spnt to long at Motorhead concerts to be 'audiophile' anymore! Go with what you can afford....

i have Juice speakers in my camper van and i'm well happy with them....i like classic rock Zep and such, trance and quite a bit of reggae as well as some folk music ( the louder type!) and the speakers perform very well.. The only buggerance today while fitting them seems to be that good old MG decided to rivet the larger speakers into their pods....so need a little persuading to come off.

The tweeters are a fraction wider and deeper than standard, so you can't use the old tweeter surround, however by using the new round surround and sandpapering the thread from the old 'screw on back' you can get a nice tight push fit...touch of rubber bath sealant should sort out most of the vibes....ditto round the edges of the main speakers when i bolt the speakers into the pods before fitting and stick some 100 mm flashing tape on the doorskin and anywhere i can fit it to help with unwanted vibes and a little sound deadening.....can't see any worth in dynamat or such like on a ragtop!

Now if it stops raining I should be able to get it finished today.....have to work out where the crossover will fit behind the doorskin first....damn I got looking at power amps and subs last night...anyone using an underseat powered sub?...are they any good?

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Thank you.. so much has changed since I fitted a ice system many moons ago. It was easier then methinks.

Once I get the car on the road then will be time, hopefully, to sort out the stereo and possibly find a CD changer to fit her.

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Cd changer these days....get a head unit that will take a phone/pod,and/or a usb stick.....much more storage than 6/12 cd's....and doesn't have to be fitted and wired....and take the plunge and go DAB, coz it ain't going away!...mine's nearly done, bloody rain! :rant:

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm

But some of us oldies have most of our music on CD so it takes longer to transfer it to MP3 than to stick an autochanger behind the seat and run the cable to the head unit - in my F I have a autochanger head unit that also has a ipod/usb wander lead hidden away in the glove box.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:29 pm

and bass is taken care of by an active under seat sub behind the other seat.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:19 pm

I've gone back to CD for my Home system....can't be dealing with LP's tho :D ...got a couple thousand in the loft?

But for on the move especially in the little car....and in our camper, its ipod, phones and sticks...hut I am feeling the move to Spotify premium, with the higher bit rate and the off-line playlisting!

Which sub have you got by theway....and how do you rate it?

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Awww c'mon folks have only got a CD changer car equipped in the last year. Both still have fully functional tape decks which I use. Have a CD Changer to fit into the 75 once I can finally locate a mounting bracket for it for the boot. The unit I got was glove box mounted but i don't want it there so boot it must be. I don't have any of the other gadgets you mention the phone is just that a simple flip front Samsung GT-E1190 ........................... no interweb no phone just a simple cheap phone. Cost £9.95 new.

Some of my compact cassettes are ones I made up from Capital Radios Friday evening "Cruising" show back in the late 1970's before Punk music was heard of. All Rock'N'Roll, Doo-Wop and Rockabilly :thumbsu: . heck I only bought Rumours by Fleetwood Mac last year.

My PC is a desk top no laptop, tablet etc here and no USB transfer device/stick either. me is Olde Skool :lol: .

Heck the MGF is the most modern car vintage wise I have ever owned as it's three months newer than the 75.

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 am

Whats a cassette? :D

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

Cybertec wrote:Whats a cassette? :D
Just to help with you sadly lacking education at great trouble and expense here is the Compact Cassette:-

This one was made up in about 1977/78 possibly 79.

Hmmm perhaps if I can get a nice CD changer then perhaps I should find an older head unit with the tape deck for the MGF :P It would match the 600 and 75 then.

BTW in keeping with the olde skool my digital camera uses the original SMARTMEDIA cards. These are the ones that are about half the size of a credit card. The camera is an Olympus C-2100 UZ which is the same size as a normal SLR camera.

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Is that a cass-ette?, there's me thinking all this time that they were pieces of Lego!

Yeah those old cameras are pretty cool, Fox Talbot used one just like it..... :D :D :D :D

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Cybertec wrote:Is that a cass-ette?, there's me thinking all this time that they were pieces of Lego!

Yeah those old cameras are pretty cool, Fox Talbot used one just like it..... :D :D :D :D

Well I do still have my Zenit E 35mm SLR from 1979 :thumbsu: .

Ahhhh whom is/was Fox Talbot?

Back to door speakers well it seems that only the drivers door one is inoperative. Was warming the engine up to do a reset on the TPS and played with the stereo and found the fader was turned to the rear only. Moving it to provide power tot eh door speaker brought the passenger one in butt he drivers door the main speaker is silent and the tweeter rather crackly .............................. Hmmmm.

Te passenger door speaker also has a broken grill............................ Pooh! The radio picks up stations with NO aerial as well :o .

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:06 am

Well with this weather i'd be thinking damp has got in to the speaker connector which is the wrong side of the membrane... Speaker out and have a fiddle?, but really having seen the quality of the 'speakers' just change them...practically anything will be an upgrade!

I had a Zenit E...first SLR I ever owned, learnt a lot ( and forgot it!) about photography with that thing, would I go back...no way! William Fox Talbot was an inventor and early photographic pioneer.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am

William Fox Talbot was an inventor and early photographic pioneer.
Ahhh thank you.

Confession time I have two Zenits as my first one the shutter jammed a day or so before a friends wedding so brought a later through the lens light meter version. Then about 15 years ago I brought a Chinon from my uncle.

One day I may get a smaller digital camera, one that can fit into a full size shirt pocket perhaps.

I will take you advice and buy some new door speakers. Will have a look around. Heck might even have a pair in the garage will have to have a look.

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 pm

I have this vision...i'm seeing a couple of 'His Master's Voice' type horns sticking out your door cards. :D

... and would make an interesting 'How to...."

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Further to this discussion have sent a few enquiries about a replacement head unit with the cassette deck to mate up with a CD changer. Made a boo-boo as one I enquired about is the R860 unit fitted in the 600's and forgot until a bit later they have a remote display and not on the units face............... :roll: :oops: Whoops.

I will of course require a mounting bracket or brackets. Will see what happens.

As it happens I do still have some 78's somewhere and my full size stereo has a record deck on top too :thumbsu: . Although that deck does not have a 78 speed :thumbsd: ..

Cybertec

Post by Cybertec » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Finished fitting the component Juice speakers....turned into a bit of an epic finding space for the crossovers, but they are fitted and now bedding in....a bit harsh at the moment , but give 'em a few hours to settle down and I think we are sorted, probably pull the door cards off when the weather gets better and tidy up a bit.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Well done..

I ave another speaker job to do. Just acquired an MPi to go with the project VVC and it only has door speakers. The Passenger ones don't appear to be working and am getting crackles and bangs from them.. I expect it's rusted connections. This one has a fairly fancy Pioneer head unit with remote control. Will had to read the di-structions on it's use and how to use it...I managed to get some radio stations plugged in but have not tried the CD player as yet.

The doors are fitted with Alpine tweeters I noticed not sure what the speakers them selves are as yet.

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by gwp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 am

Cybertec wrote:Whats a cassette? :D
Sorry for taking this tread even further off topic ... so much for these new fangled cassette things I remember by Dad's 1974 Austin Maxi having a state of the art 8-track player...

MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Crumbs! A cassette? I thought that was an iphone case!

Now where's me 8-track... :lol: