Tweeters

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

gwp
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Tweeters

Post by gwp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:23 am

Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading my manual door mirrors to electric ones and was thinking that the space vacated by the adjusting handles may be a good place to install some tweeters - any one done this?
MGF 1.8 VVC - 52mm Alloy Throttle Body & K&N 57i Filter

Cybertec
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Re: Tweeters

Post by Cybertec » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:01 pm

My TF already has tweeters fitted, but I have just upgraded my door speakers and it was more of an issue finding space for the crossover unit - the 'standard TF' ones don't use anything so hi-tech :-)....I personally wouldn't bother and just upgrade to some decent speakers to replace the stock ones (practically anything can be considered an upgrade and there are loads out there!).door cards off, unscrew three screws, un plug two wires, the only semi tricky part is removing the three spot rivets and glued in speakers, and new ones in.....and thats not a big deal...

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 pm

As above. You are better off replacing the main door speakers than tweeters :)
You can get tweeters in the main door speakers anyway :)
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

gwp wrote:Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading my manual door mirrors to electric ones and was thinking that the space vacated by the adjusting handles may be a good place to install some tweeters - any one done this?
That wouldn't be a bad position for them actually - and would cover the inside of the cheeter if you are re-using the originals :thumbsu:

A better position, apparently, is on the winscreen A-pillars, but I have put mine in the same position as the MY2000 (which actually isn't ideal as your right arm obscures the speaker when you are holding the steering wheel... d'oh!)

Jonniey
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF

Post by Jonniey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Heres a mad, off the wall idea, what about using the void left for mood lighting,
http://www.facebook.com/penelopemgf
MGF 1.8i MK2 2000 model

Cybertec
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by Cybertec » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Mood lighting Cool but I think even in my prime I would have had a hard time getting jiggy in a TF! :D

On my up grade, really very impressed now we have everything bedded in, however with hindsight, i think i might have just gone for full range speakers and saved myself a bit of work and just left the factory tweeters in place but disconnected....however I do recommend Juice speakers if you want good sound that doesn't break the bank!