Antenna question

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

pedals
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Antenna question

Post by pedals » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 pm

I have just received a replacement radio antenna. A direct replacement for the original as all of the rubber had perished. The new one comes with two different threads. The one I need is stepped, large to small. It fits fine. However, the large thread fitting into the antenna isn't a very tight fit. As I use a car cover, the antenna is regularly screwed on and off (to avoid damage). The first attempts seem to show that the threaded stud comes undone. My question is, can I use threadlock on the large thread to hold it in place and will this affect the transmission at all? ie Is the threadlock going to act as an insulator?

Thanks

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Antenna question

Post by talkingcars » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:15 pm

I'd expect thread lock to insulate so wouldn't be good. How about leaving the insert in place and sourcing something to cover it when you fit the cover.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

pedals

Post by pedals » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks. I am only using mid strength Loctite. I will try just sticking half of the thread inserted in the aerial and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I may try making a sleeve with water pipe and pipe lagging to cover it up.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Personally I would just get an original aerial. WELOVEMGFS and MGFnTFbitz both have stocks of originals. I bought one at the show on Sunday. Unmarked like new.

pedals

Post by pedals » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

The threadlock works fine. I only covered half of the thread which goes into the aerial, so that there is contact on the bit that goes furthest in. The thing is the same pattern as the original, so looks fine. It also works ok, now tested :thumbsu:

pedals

Post by pedals » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Plezier wrote:Personally I would just get an original aerial. WELOVEMGFS and MGFnTFbitz both have stocks of originals. I bought one at the show on Sunday. Unmarked like new.
Both of these companies are only listing the base unit, which wasn't the bit I needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Genuine-R ... mgf+aerial
This is what I bought

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 am

Well I bought mine from WELOVEMGF's nd they had at least 20 on their stand. MGFnTFBITZ had a tube full which must have held 15 plus. PM them and ask or phone as that's the best way.

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Is there any difference between the two aerials fitted to the MGF and TF? I see there are two different part numbers listed.
Mark

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

mowog73 wrote:Is there any difference between the two aerials fitted to the MGF and TF? I see there are two different part numbers listed.
I doubt it, possible the length.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com