Coming into the 21st century..kicking and screaming

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Coming into the 21st century..kicking and screaming

Post by Plezier » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 am

Well have just bought a used ipod. 1st Gen as we don't want to get too far in the future do we :D .

Am now looking at one of these Sony CDX S-100 with Tune Tray so the little beggar can hide inside and not have wires trailing about. Have had a Goodmans Mini stereo with Ipod dock for some time ............................ it's connected to the X-Box360 for the evening gamming as TV is such crap.

Am considering fitting the Sony in place of the MG badged unit in the VVC as both tabs at the sides are broken and missing.

I know don't all faint :roll: .

Must check if it will work with a CD changer though :thumbsu: .

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Coming into the 21st century..kicking and screaming

Post by talkingcars » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Sorry, it doesn't have an input for an auto changer, none do nowadays, the last to was the Kenwood DAB headunit.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Oh Dammit :thumbsd: ....................... progress sucks at times.

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Does the original unit have a cd autochanger slot on back? Can use that with an adapter off ebay to make it think the cd changer is still there but your using you ipod instead!
I'm planning on doing this at some point and running the cables or the iPod brom behind the head unit, through centre console and up into ash tray (I'm non smoker so why not use it for something constructive!)
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 pm

I don't know as I'll admit I am lost of these things now. I'll just wait and see if the di-structions are in the box and have a read. If I cannot fathom it out then will have to see if Bredan will do it for us. Suppose I had also better get a bracket to mount the CD Changer in the 75. Have utt eh cable through but no mount for the CD changer.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:03 am

The auto changer will only work in the 75 if the head unit is the same brand.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:54 pm

talkingcars wrote:The auto changer will only work in the 75 if the head unit is the same brand.
Actually I am informed that is not so. The 75 has the Symphony unit fitted the changer is a Sony 10 disc unit which he had successfully installed in his 75 with Symphony. It came with leads and instructions. The draw back the Symphony will only show the first 6 discs but will play all 10. he had it mounted in the glove box I wish to boot mount and that is my stumbling block as I have not so far been able to get mounting bracket.

Twice others have said they have one but when asked how much for that's where it ends.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I suspect you need an interface betwixt changer and head unit.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 pm

There is a chromed coloured box the cable goes into with leads coming out. At the moment it's in the glove box. Suppose had better drag it out and the e-mail and see about getting it connected up.

Plezier

iPod Mini does nto work in the Sony DSX-S-100

Post by Plezier » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Beint totally new to MP3 music as CD's were new for me still :oops: it seems that the iPod Mini is not compataible with the Sony stereo. The iPod Classic and Touch are but NOT the Mini :cry: However I have now found out that I can copy my CD's to a data stick and I do have a small one from a course I did some years back so with this new information have just bought a 16 GB memory stick so once I copy some more CD's onto it the stereo will work.

So now I just have to figure out what to do with this iPod mini :roll: I do have a Goodmans mini stereo in the bedroom that has an iPod dock and it does work with that at least it plays what it loaded onto the iPod. Until i get a lead we won't know if I can load my own selections onto it or not. Good job I didn't give much for it.

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:26 am

That's gotta be frustrating!

I've an I pod nano I'm hoping to use so fingers crossed for that.

Memory stick will be better than listening to loud music roof down and the CD player skipping as you go over bumps though!;)
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 am

Actually have not had much problem with CD's slipping and the roads around here are dreadful for being broken and uneven. Anyway the new Toshiba 16Gb memory stick arrived in the post this morning and have just copied 10 CD albums onto it. That should keep the sounds running for a bit :D .

According to the Sony's instruction booklet the nano works fine with it it's seems it's just the Mini that is different and won't work ................................. typical that.

Oh well now just need to get a remote for the Sony as they are very handy little items :thumbsu: .