New new speakers Mk1 MGF

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

New new speakers Mk1 MGF

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Elsie the Green machine who is a Mk1 VVC has no ICE equipment at all. The previous owner stripped it out speakers and all. I doubt they were std as the Mk1 door cards had tweeters fitted. I have swapped interior so now have mk2 door cards. Of course the wiring will need altering but I am wondering if these speakers will do a reasonable job for me:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111183495165

The head unit will be the Sony DSX-100 that i bought the other month.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

NigelS
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF

Re: New new speakers Mk1 MGF

Post by NigelS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 pm

The ones in your link will be too large for the standard speaker hole/mount in Mk 2 door cards. As far as I know, you will need 5" speakers and these will fit in the existing cut-outs in the door cards. I have a set of original TF tweeters if you want them - I replaced mine some years ago with Vibe Black Air component speakers.
MGTF 135, Trophy Blue, K&N 57i, X-Power Exhaust, Janspeed Sports Cat, EBC Greenstuff discs & pads, Goodridge hoses, X-Power Springs, Polybushed A.R.B's, ZandF Tuning Phase 1 remap

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Now I am really confused as just went outside and got one of the door speaker in that I took from the drivers door on the Mk2 and it's 6.5" dia. Well 170 mm really.

Hmmm guess I will cutt eh Mk1 connections off and fit some spades and see how this works. Will try it if I get time tomorrow in the Mk1 door.

Cybertec
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by Cybertec » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm

As you may recall i've fitted new front speakers and they are indeed 6.5inch.....Edge aren't bad!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Cybertec wrote:As you may recall i've fitted new front speakers and they are indeed 6.5inch.....Edge aren't bad!

Actually I recall some one did but not whom it was :oops: I blame "Oldtimers disease" one gets this from dealing with oldies all the time ;) . Have not looked at the speaker issue as yet, was shopping this morning, did pick up some insulated crimp on spade connectors then it was drain down the coolant to check the hoses for crud and gunge build up. Found none so reconnected the hoses then discovered that i obviously had not clipped the fan connection on properly as it was hanging lose :oops: so connected it up and made sure it was secure the filled the system with fresh OAT and bled it twice.

Seems that we may ........................ fingers crossed got the air lock out this time. Rad fan cuts in and and out just as it should too.

Now perhaps we can get back to the electrics and ICE provisions.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Well I bought the Edge one I linked to and we will see how they do. Then perhaps if we make it to some meets others can see just how they sound and perform.

That is assuming I can get the car running again of course.