Stereo wiring is a mess

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Stereo wiring is a mess

Post by Plezier » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 am

Finally got the Mk2 interior into Elsie the Mk1 VVC .............................. mostly. Still have some snagging to do.

However the previous owner had some sort of Kenwood system installed. This was removed along with the speakers. Know it was Kenwood as there is a remote attached to the steering wheel. The problem is that there is so much extra wiring and connectors :o the std ISO ones seem to have been removed and this mess spliced in. Why do they do this :rant: this is the second Mk1 with this problem as Blue 33 also has the ISO connectors missing and a bunch of extra connectors for the Pioneer stereo she has.

The new speakers arrived Monday morning but until the head unit can be fitted there is not much point in fitting them.

Also have moved the T-Bar over from the MY1000 trim VVC donor but of course Elsie has not wiring for the T-Bar speakers. I assume I can run wires and connect to the rear outlets on the Sony DSX-100 unit I am using?

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Re: Stereo wiring is a mess

Post by crussell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Is it possible that a cd auto changer link like this
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID000053
Will be colour coded cable wise to whats left of the existing cabling?
So you at least have a start point?
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:01 am

Will try to get photos in the morning (daylight). Weather depending have to remove door card for cleaning and fitting of speakers. Think I can managed that. Oh have to run into town first for a crimping tool and exchange a duff can of underseal. Have not even opened the box with the speakers in as yet. Was sorting out the belly pan and the gear change the adjusting ride height. Not sure if she has lowering knuckles fitted.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:29 am

Well finally plucked up the courage to tackle the wiring and door speaker install. Due to the way someone had chopped the wiring about it's not ideal but it's working and safe now. They had soldered extra bits of wire coming off the loom where they had cut the ISO wiring and blocks off but so far back had to leave some of their wire in place or take out the console and tunnel to reach. Have now wired in a double ISO plug and got teh stereo working. Just a cheap new JVC KD-R451 from Halfords. Speakers are Edge "Street" ......................... what ever tht means but were a reasonable price from an ebay shop. Not sure if they are really suitable as they might be too powerful as it seems they are 70w RMS and of course the JVC does not pump out that much.

Will see how it goes.

Have cut the wiring out of the VVC donor for the t-bar and might splice that in and connect the t-bar up at a later date.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Plezier wrote: Not sure if they are really suitable as they might be too powerful as it seems they are 70w RMS and of course the JVC does not pump out that much.
The speakers should be fine, the rating is for maximum input, I expect the headunit will be 40w per channel.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:53 am

The JVC unit says 30W output with 50w max output per channel ......................... it's only a cheap unit of course. That Sony DXS-100 seems a better unit but has not CD slot and I needed a CD slot this time.