Under seat sub or amplified quality speakers?

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

crussell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Under seat sub or amplified quality speakers?

Post by crussell » Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Bit of a winter project I'm planning. Original head unit (for looks), adapter to play off iPod, and then louder, quality tones through an updated system.

There isn't much space under the seat so I was wandering if anyone's put one in? I don't want anything visible so was thinking an amp and component speakers to jazz things up a bit.

So...anyone fitted an underseat sub? Or done the amplified speaker route?
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Under seat sub or amplified quality speakers?

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 am

The weakest link in most systems is the headunit.

I have decent Kenwood's in my F and my ZS which have iPod inputs that uses a lead that plugs into the iPod at one end and the USB and jack sockets on the headunit at the other. The headunit can then be used to control the iPod.

My F being a mk1 only had door speakers so I fitted mk2 door cards adding O/E tweeters and a mk2 T-bar adding the O/E rear speakers and sound box. I then added a Kenwood under seat active sub which is actually on the firewall behind the passenger seat (we are both relatively short so never push the seats all the way back) with the controls in the top cubby hole. I then use the controls of the headunit and sub to give good sound.

I have also added a 6 disc auto-changer as most of our music is on disc and steering wheel controls for the volume and channel.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

crussell

Post by crussell » Mon May 05, 2014 8:53 am

One for the sub then ;)

The steering wheel control is definitely in the plan too! The volume control is just that little too faraway for me when driving! :lol:

I think keeping the head unit is going to hold back the sound quality a bit, I'm just hoping that whatever I put in is going to make up for it.

It's quite capable though, can be wired into speed control amongst other things. There's an iPod adapter (some can do the Bluetooth as well) that I'm going to use which sacrifices the CD player (fine by me).

Sub behind passenger seat makes sense. My only passenger most of the time is the girlfriend who always comments there's plenty of legroom in the Tf!:)

crussell

Post by crussell » Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 am

That's where the fuel tank is...did you screw it in or use Velcro to attach it?

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 05, 2014 1:27 pm

crussell wrote:That's where the fuel tank is...did you screw it in or use Velcro to attach it?
A bit of hardboard behind the carpet and screwed into that with dead short screws.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I should add that it fitted under the seat but as the seats are so low even with my 12 stone you were sitting on the sub.

crussell

Post by crussell » Mon May 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah that was a concernnof mine. It seems just to tight and at fifteen stone, if I have to sit in the passenger well, lets just say that wont be a good thing!

Have you used dynamat and did it make a difference?