Immobilizer problem

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Billyboi99
MGF Register Region: South East

Immobilizer problem

Post by Billyboi99 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi,

i have an 1996 MGF and am having a few problems de-activating the immobilizer. Sometimes it can take me upto 5 minutes whilst pointing the fob in various positions towards the steering wheel. i have replaced the battery but still having problems. Can you re-programme the fob to the car maybe that will help?? Or is there a way to bypass this totally.

Any help greatful.

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Immobilizer problem

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 pm

The security side of the cars is a sensitive issue ..... but

You can 'bi-pass' the imobiliser if you have the 'emergency access code' - EKA code, for the car. This is a set of door key turns that will knock off the imobliser so the car will just work on the door key and ignition key. If you do not have the EKA code it can be obtained via http://www.mgrovercodes.com/ where you will have to provide proof of ownership. If you remove this security feature, just be careful about your insurance as the car should have it working as it is a factory fitted security system and may void your car insurance if the car is stolen etc. The EKA code can also be read off the car with the right equipment.

You can reprogramme the keys with the right equipment but not sure if this will work as it is an intermittement fault for you
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE