Is DAB any good in the TF?

Bass, Treble, CarPuters, adding an after market alarm. It's all in here.

Moderator: Committee Members

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Is DAB any good in the TF?

Post by c13amb » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:55 am

As per title guys n dolls ..need to change my head unit as I'm considering a DAB unit with all the other usual functions.
Has any one tried this and fitted the aerial that fits on the windscreen to pick up dab signal?
Look forward to your tales of woe or otherwise :thumbsu:
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Is DAB any good in the TF?

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:33 pm

DAB signal has not much to do with the car, more your location in the UK :roll:

I was looking at a DAB coverage map last night strangely, as last year I replaced the OEM Kenwood and CD changer in the boot, and DAB is hit and miss near me, central Wales is a DAB desert.

Large population centres seem to be better served, so might be worth checking your area. I'm not really bothered as FM is fine for me - I don't try to listen to anything normally, the TF sound is enough for me ;)

If you were in a "modern" vehicle, a sound system might be of importance to some as you could hear better in the low level of background noise. I've been in some cars where you would not know if a wheel fell off.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:23 pm

Good comments Jerry.. :thumbsu: I'll check my local area 1st..I just wondered how people who have it fitted were justifying it really ;) or as you say is FM enough?

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi, I have gone the DAB route in my TF and as mgtfnut said the reception and which stations are available depend on your location. Towns and cities are well covered but I am out in the sticks.

I had tried DAB/FM splitter on original antenna and stick on windscreen type but signal was not good apart from BBC stations.

I fitted a proper DAB / FM radio by Calearo and now have strong signal just about everywhere, Planet Rock, 70's, Boom Radio, Capital, Scala etc. Huge difference from stick on type.

Not cheap at about £70 but I plan to keep the car for a while and it was that or Local FM or BBC :roll: . If you do go for a proper DAB antenna make sure it is a 60 degree one as that fits the MG TF wing spot on.

Cheers, Mark

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 pm

markvrs wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 pm
Hi, I have gone the DAB route in my TF and as mgtfnut said the reception and which stations are available depend on your location. Towns and cities are well covered but I am out in the sticks.

I had tried DAB/FM splitter on original antenna and stick on windscreen type but signal was not good apart from BBC stations.

I fitted a proper DAB / FM radio by Calearo and now have strong signal just about everywhere, Planet Rock, 70's, Boom Radio, Capital, Scala etc. Huge difference from stick on type.

Not cheap at about £70 but I plan to keep the car for a while and it was that or Local FM or BBC :roll: . If you do go for a proper DAB antenna make sure it is a 60 degree one as that fits the MG TF wing spot on.

Cheers, Mark
Hi mark thanks for the info on the aerial..do you have any links for it ? I've had my TF for almost 8 yrs so would consider fitting a decent aerial :thumbsu:

markvrs

Post by markvrs » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:47 pm

I got mine last year from dabonwheels.co.uk. It was a Calearo DAB/DAB+/FM/AM Aerial 60 degree mount with 5 meter cable.

Straight swap for standard aerial, same angle, same hole. Wished I had just gone straight to it rather than wasting money / time on cheaper options that when in bin.

Cheers Mark

markvrs

Post by markvrs » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:47 pm

I got mine last year from dabonwheels.co.uk. It was a Calearo DAB/DAB+/FM/AM Aerial 60 degree mount with 5 meter cable.

Straight swap for standard aerial, same angle, same hole. Wished I had just gone straight to it rather than wasting money / time on cheaper options that when in bin.

Cheers Mark

Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Gavin207 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:29 am

I fitted one of the DAB aerial converters from Dab On Wheels to the standard aerial and it works really well, car is a daily driver and I travel around the South West quite a bit and the signal rarely drops out.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Yes I have a DAB head unit and a small antenna that sticks to the windscreen, works well

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Stan_B wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:55 pm
Yes I have a DAB head unit and a small antenna that sticks to the windscreen, works well
When you say works well how many channels to you get a good signal from? I see your in the Thames Valley region..I'm in the North West and after looking at the dab signal locally it's supposed to be up to 90% effective..but it doesn't say anything about the aerials for reception though :roll:

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:23 pm

I've got a new aerial, but want to keep the old OEM cable if possible.

Are there enough openings to get a fish wire through if the passenger seat is removed and the carpet lifted? Normally I would use the old cable to try and pull a new wire through, but I don't want to do that.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

Deepfat
MGF Register Region: Lincolnshire
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Deepfat » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm

I fitted a Sony unit that requires no screen aerial and runs off the OE aerial, I just had to plug a couple of aerial wires together before fitment, easy. The radio works very well on both FM & DAB but if you read up on DAB the quality is not as good as FM, I agree but as I'm not listening to low volume classical music I don't care, old comedy/plays on 4 extra is my bag.
I remember when young sitting in the car with a soldering iron fitting an FM/Tape player which pushed out a massive 20w, how times change the Sony unit took about 40m to fit 20 of which were spent figuring out how the fascia panel clipped on!
Peter

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 pm

mgtfnut wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:23 pm
.........Are there enough openings to get a fish wire through if the passenger seat is removed and the carpet lifted? Normally I would use the old cable to try and pull a new wire through, but I don't want to do that.
Just follow the main loom,
lift out the engine cover and you see the loom runs along the near side,
it then runs down the back of the passenger door opening and along the seal
(lift the rubber seal and you can access the loom under the carpet without removing the seat)

This is the routing for the standard aerial anyway.

Alternatively retain the standard aerial base with a long whip and use a DAB/FM splitter mounted by the head unit. This worked well in my ZS.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:06 am

talkingcars wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:55 pm
mgtfnut wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:23 pm
.........Are there enough openings to get a fish wire through if the passenger seat is removed and the carpet lifted? Normally I would use the old cable to try and pull a new wire through, but I don't want to do that.
Just follow the main loom,
lift out the engine cover and you see the loom runs along the near side,
it then runs down the back of the passenger door opening and along the seal
(lift the rubber seal and you can access the loom under the carpet without removing the seat)
Thanks, just need a gap in the weather to have a go - been too hot in searing sunlight, followed by wind and rain recently - British weather :? The TF has sat outside all it's life and is tougher than me :)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

AntonyM
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by AntonyM » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm

Deepfat wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm
I fitted a Sony unit that requires no screen aerial and runs off the OE aerial, I just had to plug a couple of aerial wires together before fitment, easy. The radio works very well on both FM & DAB but if you read up on DAB the quality is not as good as FM, I agree but as I'm not listening to low volume classical music I don't care, old comedy/plays on 4 extra is my bag.
I remember when young sitting in the car with a soldering iron fitting an FM/Tape player which pushed out a massive 20w, how times change the Sony unit took about 40m to fit 20 of which were spent figuring out how the fascia panel clipped on!
Peter
Be interested to know which model of head unit you are using ?

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 pm

markvrs wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:47 pm

Cheers Mark
I got one and installed it today - all stations suddenly appeared/ updates etc. Will have to have a run around to see how it goes, mid Wales is normally poor, so I think a run over the Brecon Beacons is called for :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

mgtfnut

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:39 pm

Reception is good now, can pick up almost anything on DAB.

On the move, I can't tell any difference from FM because of the general background noise of the car when whizzing along. It's not a problem for me, as I only changed the unit as the original Kenwood 12 stack cd system was getting tired, the cassette had expired and the cd system was a bit clanky.

Stuff I like is on a very stubby memory stick thingie, it's all in black to suit the interior and the new Kenwood can deal with a phone etc.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:35 am

I was a 'waverer' wanting to modernise my dinosaur am/fm set and enjoy the benefits of usb music but not wanting the bling that DAB/DAB+ seems determined to offer but I bit the bullet and enjoyed the challenge of setting it up - except the fact that my 'splitter' seller seems equally determined not to process my £8-99 refund despite his promise (eBay offers no help in the form of We couldn't process your request because of a technical issue. Please try again.) (Yep, eventually got a refund :))

A w/screen aerial horizontally mounted in the rear view mirror area works well for me and pulls in more than enough...

Attached is an article I put together for my local MG club giving more details
Attachments
MG TF 135 DAB installation word.docx
(540.7 KiB) Downloaded 165 times