stripes

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

whicko
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: mgf18i

stripes

Post by whicko » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:45 pm

hello all has any one got any pictures of an mgf in brg with bonnet stripes i cant decide on the colour of stripes to use thinking of white or yellow or silver or gold any advice peeps cheers col :thumbsu:

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Re: stripes

Post by Helsbyman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:54 pm

There is one by me with gold stripes looks O K but with anything like this it is all in the eye of the beholder :thumbsu: or :thumbsd:
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

whicko

Post by whicko » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:07 pm

cheers mate i cant make my mind up about doing it but ill prob give it a go with white or yellow stripes i can allways take them of i suppose if i dont like them cheers col :lol:

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Here's our former BRG MGF with silver stripes:
Stripes.jpg
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:49 pm

As a kid I had a toy car, Jaguar D Type I seem to recall, in green with one broad white stripe down it and it looked so good. If I ever go with stripes this is how it will be ........................ one broad stripe. Colour would depend on the car of course. Am drawn to bright Yellow on my Tahiti Blue MGF. Yellow could work on the BRG as well but in the end it MUST come down to the owner.

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:07 am

Why not using the BRM colours and put some orange stripes on your BRG car?

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:20 am

ppo wrote:Why not using the BRM colours and put some orange stripes on your BRG car?
Whilst I liked the Red leather interior and the overall BRG colour the Orange bits looked dreadful ............................ IHMO. Anyway looking at many images online of racing cars with stripes perhaps my memory is faulty and perhaps it was a toy car model of a Lotus! As it's about 45 years ago and I was only little that may be the case. There is no rush as the booking in the body shop has been put on hold after some discussion with the painter we have come to the conclusion that having the entire body done at once would be better all round and easier in the end. I just have to save up more so that it can be done.

At the same time he is welding up the extra hole for the phone aerial and of course fixing the rust in the boot floor. The price for the paint job is agreed and fixed the only extra will be the boot floor as until he cuts out he rust we will not know exactly how much work this will add extra. I will also get some adhesive heat matt to add to the boot floor once the welding repair is done. It obvious that there has been water ingress into the boot whilst she has been standing.

Edit:- Rather that stick/add on stripes I will ask how much to actually paint them when the respray is done. Lotus flared their Yellow stripe in from the front oval air intake. Looking at the front of the MGF just now I believe that this could work. The Splitter could be Broom yellow then the bumper below the grill opening also as they slightly taper in as they go up then this could sweep in to the single broad stripe up the bonnet. Will discuss it when I next pop in with the cards he wanted for the valeters.

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:31 pm

IMHO using the Lotus green/yellow colours looks a bit like "I wanted a Elise, but I couldn't afford one". ;)
Lotus is a separate car company with no other relation to MG-Rover than using the K-series engine for some years.
The Rover-BRM instead was a prototype gas turbine-powered racing car, jointly developed in the early 1960s by the British companies Rover and British Racing Motors (BRM). This historical background was also the reason for the limited Rover 200 BRM car.
Therefore I would prefer green/orange colours than green/yellow ones. But that's only my point of view and as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Best is to try different colours and styles on Photoshop, Paint or any other computer painting programm and decide what you like most. :thumbsu:

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 am

Yes Lotus is nothing to do with MG-Rover. Howeve that has nothing to do witht eh idea. I happen to like yellow :thumbsu: as these photos show:-

When I overrhauled this front sub frame I painted it Yellow. When I swapped the front discs over to better conditons ones the caliper carriers were cleaned of rust and painted Broom yellow as well. So the Yellow would follow the theme. In fact when I built my cop that too was painted Bright Yellow :D . If some one wishes to think I wanted a Lotus then let them. T'is no skin off my nose really.

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:37 am

I didn't know that alteady other parts of your car were painted yellow. In this case continue with the same colour. :thumbsu:
I hope you'll post pictures of the finished car.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:25 am

Oh I will post the photos. The Yellow sub frame is not fitted as it's still on the Blue VVC that became the donor after I won "Elsie" on ebay. "Elsie" was not only MOT'd but required less, a lot less welding, and was a surprise win. I did not honestly expect to win with my bid so the front sub frame had been bought and cleaned with new ball joints then painted ready to fit into the original Blue VVC project ............................................. then with "Elsie" it all changed. She has been donating her parts to repair and improve others. Her engine is now in a Freestyle in Suffolk.

Right now "Blue 33" has one yellow side vent and one Silver one as I sprayed them and fitted them so I could see which looked best and the Yellow is winning. As for stripes well I have been thinking about them and considering them for some months now even doing so for the Blue VVC project back in March and have always ;iked the idea of the single broad stripe rather that the more usual broad and thins ones more commonly seen. As she is being re-sprayed it might as well be painted rather than stuck on. The respray was alwsy intended to repair the damage tot eh body work. There were/are so many dents that they simply cannot be accidental and fo what ever reason somebody or bodies have been attcking her whne she resided in Richmond, South London, as I cannot see how the ones in a group on top ot the N/S of the bonnet got there by accident. Then there was the boot print in the rear wing.

Over the winter a brake upgrade is planned to 280 mm discs all round. The calipers will be cleaned and over hauled as required and then painted Yellow along with their mounting brackets. The new discs will have the centre Bells and rims painted yellow to stop rusting and am leaning towards painting the splitter yellow as well.

whicko

Post by whicko » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 pm

hi all looks like its going to be yellow stripes then :lol: ps I luv my little green mgf so much fun wet or dry roof up roof down never even thaught about buying a lotus so I suppose that means that I never wanted one I still don't I just like brg cars and I think yellow stripes look good on them :thumbsu: cheers col

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

whicko wrote:hi all looks like its going to be yellow stripes then :lol: ps I luv my little green mgf so much fun wet or dry roof up roof down never even thaught about buying a lotus so I suppose that means that I never wanted one I still don't I just like brg cars and I think yellow stripes look good on them :thumbsu: cheers col
Ahh yes but "Blue 33" who will be getting stripes is (JRJ) Tahiti Blue, hence her name, and not British Racing Green. It's "Elsie" my VVC that is (HAM) British Racing Green so the Lotus connection is rather tenuios at best. I only mentioned it as during my search for images one came up of a Lotus F1 car with the style of stripe that I like. Perhaps I should fit the Yellow front Sub frame to "Blue 33" and then clean the one taken off up and paint and re-furbish that one to swap onto "Elsie" .................................... Hmmmm more thinking to do.

whicko

Post by whicko » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 am

9733949814_e50d8fb4ce_m.jpg
9733949814_e50d8fb4ce_m.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 520 times
better not put yellow on my car then :sf: or white
7529541838_022c8bef2e_m.jpg
7529541838_022c8bef2e_m.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 520 times
:P