How little our cars are worth now

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Skipness
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: TF just sold F :-(

How little our cars are worth now

Post by Skipness » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:19 pm

image.jpg
:(
The attached is a cat D write off, apparently only needing a new bumper and exhaust.
I assume the insurance company has decided the cost of repairs is more than 50% of the vehicle's value

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Re: How little our cars are worth now

Post by stuart » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:32 pm

That looks exactly like the damage on my rear bumper earlier this year. 2x crash cans and one mint 2nd hand bumper from Martin Smith for £200 and a very good respray at £160 inc VAT.

Never once did I entertain the idea that my car would've been uneconomical to repair...shocked to see this tbh
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

50dwill
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by 50dwill » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:13 pm

We had a cat d mgtf 160 four years ago, paid £1500 for it cost the grand total of £140 to repair, mainly bolt on parts these cars are worth very little these days and that's why they are worth more as breakers most of the time.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 pm

I would worry about the value unless you plan to sell.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

robbie1003
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Skipness wrote:
image.jpg
:(
The attached is a cat D write off, apparently only needing a new bumper and exhaust.
I assume the insurance company has decided the cost of repairs is more than 50% of the vehicle's value

insurance don't write cars off for 50% of the value of the vehicle, most are repaired up to 75 to 100% of their value sometimes more depending on the policy or nature of the claim. new parts availability on the rover group cars can be a big factor in whether it will be repaired or not, second hand parts are used in some cases but rarely at the insurance approved bodyshops. the owners of the tf might have agreed they didn't want it back or put a low value on it in their policy, there are a number of reasons why cars endup insurance categorised.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:08 am

And let's nott hink aboutt he scams that are going on to write off cars so they can make money breaking them. I recall the case of a BMW at copart where this was going on. The owner disputed the claim and when they sent copies of the photos it was NOT his car in them. The one they sent photos of to the Insurance company was far more damaged. Luckily he took photos at the scene of te accident.

On the 75/ZT forums one owner was demandign his 75 back after it was hit and when he finally got to see it there was extensive other damage not related to the accident and parts already stripped off the car. Last I saw it was going to court as he had not signed the car over to them and was arranging repair but the company refused to return the car. That was before he found out what they had done. the recovery company was supposed to take it to his home yet it went straighht to copart .................................... Hhhhmmmmm :thumbsd: .

As mentioned they are worth someting in the parts field.

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:46 am

To me my TF is priceless......
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Post by Db09 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Mo has had more spent on him than he cost me . As a Yorkshire man we are supposed to be tight .
When it comes to mo I do not care ?
Don't no why it's mo's fault .
I like the fact that people tell me mgf's are crap yet they have never had one .
I would not think about doing to any other car .

robbie1003
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Db09 wrote:Mo has had more spent on him than he cost me . As a Yorkshire man we are supposed to be tight .
When it comes to mo I do not care ?
Don't no why it's mo's fault .
I like the fact that people tell me mgf's are crap yet they have never had one .
I would not think about doing to any other car .
sithi, doesthano arma yorkshireman anall, nawt wrong wi that! ifthi dunt larkit thecan buggeroff. my little baby cost me £250 with hgf, I have deffo spent more than that on it after 18 months of ownership but not all to get it sorted in the engine department. to me she is priceless, prefer her to otherhalfs mx5, enjoy driving her better than the jag, more fun than driving our jeep. never thought a car could ignite that lost passion of motoring once more like my mgf does.

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Y i bonny lad, canna say naw t that!! My wife who is an avid bike freak would kill me in fact no it would be a fate worse than death if i decided not to keep "penny" also totally agree with the comment regarding the passion of driving an mgf