TF 160 for sale, what colour is this? Rare colour?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: TF 160 for sale, what colour is this? Rare colour?

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Maybe Poseidon, it's similar ?

Maybe it's a one off they were experimenting with. I know PPG gave MGMotors their paint catalogue for them to choose from, maybe MGRover had the same.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

churchsquare
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF's/TF's/LEs/85ths

Post by churchsquare » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Been trying to find old photos as sold this car back in 2007, no luck, It was one of many we sold around this time with MBB paint codes. I was told that most monogram cars had this code and were starlight silver painted body's to start with. I don't think this is a monogram coloured car but possibly is a one off colour as Adrian said. Davek Church Square Autos.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:26 pm

If you are ever in Somerset in the car we can compare colours as mine is IAB on the VIN plate :)
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

John Prewer
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: TF135, TF160

Post by John Prewer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Adrian.

You mentioned where the car was delivered to, Axial Services in Chipping Warden. Is this a car storage place? Do you know when it was delivered there?

And you also said "cicode starting in K, most of these are MG Rover related", which I don't understand so could you please elaborate?
2005 model year TF135 daily driver in Pearl Black.
54 registration TF160 factory painted in Halcyon Atlantis Blue.

John Prewer

Post by John Prewer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 pm

nigelandjo wrote:If you are ever in Somerset in the car we can compare colours as mine is IAB on the VIN plate :)
Thanks Nigel. I think Typhoon is a red herring for me because it has purple in it from what I see on the web. Not a trace of purple in mine, instead it is as sold a subtle flip between blue and turquoise - a lot more subtle than the other colour changes I have seen. Have you seen a Lagoon? Mine looks like a blue version of Lagoon i.e. no green in it.

Dave J
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: Poseidon TF160

Post by Dave J » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Gulfstream i believe has a subtle blue look ... i have only ever seen some Gulfstream air intakes for sale on the bay ... the cars seem very elusive.

Dave
herts@mgfregister.org

2004 monogram Poseidon TF160
2003 monogram Lagoon TF135
2017 MG3

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Just looked at a Monogram catalogue I have ~ Gulfstream is described as "Grey-Blue flips to Grey-Green". Typhoon definitely has a purple hint to it and Green if you stand 180 degrees to the sun.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 pm

mg ztt.jpg
Gulf stream MG ZTT

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:55 pm

John Prewer wrote:Adrian.

You mentioned where the car was delivered to, Axial Services in Chipping Warden. Is this a car storage place? Do you know when it was delivered there?

And you also said "cicode starting in K, most of these are MG Rover related", which I don't understand so could you please elaborate?
John, sorry I didn't answer today, I've been stuck into a FasTForward article for two days solid, hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.

There are pictures of all the Monogram's in FTF40 so you can compare, I'm not convinced it's even an MGR colour.

You asked about respraying to monogram, I know one Starlight Silver that became Moonshine and an X Power Grey that became Spice. As David has suggested maybe MGR have done this on several occasions.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 am

In the late 1990s I once felt tempted to buy a brand new two seater sports car which must not be named on here :mrgreen: (I didn’t in the end 8-) )

I wasn’t too impressed with the colour choice so I told the dealer I’d be happy to buy one if they were available in orange. The chap said to me, if you want your new car in orange, you’ll get it in orange. I’m not sure they would have taken it off the assembly line for a respray at the factory though.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

John Prewer

Post by John Prewer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 am

Mine is pictured here from the advert that I bought from:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 782&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 899&type=3

Darker than Celestial, almost the blue equivalent of Lagoon. The fact that the colour can't be traced using the computer analysis stuff from paint people is mystifying. Plainly its a special order of some kind, as I think only the factory would swap the trim and the colour of an MBB Strlight Silver car which I am told from a couple of sources was the or a basis for Monogram (hand) painted cars.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 am

David Dixon wrote:
mg ztt.jpg
Gulf stream MG ZTT
Lovely looking ZTT there. And interestingly, it is the only other one I've seen with the chrome body trim (door handle height) other than ours!

ErikB
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:15 am

What color is specified on the V5 (or the other UK specific document that goes with the registration of the car) ?

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am

If it was a mono car, then the VIN plate would have been changed to reflect that.

It looks like a bare-shell respray to me (not unheard of) - I would take it to a paint shop that can scan the paint to get a match.
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I haven't seen the colour in question, but Nigel's suggestion is going to provide the most reliable answer in my opinion :)

John Prewer

Post by John Prewer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 pm

My car says MBB colour and the code for a Grenadine interior.
I am totally neutral here on what the car is and not trying to "big it up". I simply would like to know the paint colour.
So far I have Church Sq Autos and another person who owns one telling me that some Monograms have MBB paint code on them (others saying not), Adrian Clifford saying that a connection with Axial Services indicates some sort of MG Rover relationship other than a usual manufactured car, and the Grenadine interior which I can only see being changed at the factory.
A picture of the 75 on Fb is the closest to my cars colour I have seen and I would like to trace that car & its owner. I am going to try and trace my cars previous owners.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi John, best I can make out Axial Services collects and delivers cars that are used under the Rover group sales scene. Often I find they are the seller to the public after MG/Rover group use. They are not a dealer as such but are often quoted as the first seller.

I'm afraid I am unable to help with tracking down previous owners as we have to be fully compliant with the data protection act. Car details are ok, they are in the public domain and used for MGCC members but not personal info, I Delete a mail as soon as I process the info received and never record names unless they are in my region. As a regional rep I hold names under password security for those in my region but only those.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Quick thought, if your TF is a devlopment car, which to me makes the most sense is there a group or rganisation for former employees at Longbridge, maybe somebody might recall your car. Second quick thought, John have you considered attending the Pride of Longbridge event in April, you might get a visitor, former worker who remembers the car. Incidently I know that Longbridge had at least one Rover 25 pick up running arouund the site, and was a possible development/feasability vehicle, among many vehicles pulled from the production line.

John Prewer

Post by John Prewer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Pride of Longbridge wasn't on my events list... but since I got the car and started digging it certainly is.
I will of course be at Silverstone (as an old hand I am finding it difficult calling it "MG Live"!). I was going to bring my black TF and enter it for the Glo Car competition but that will have to wait and I'll bring the Blue/Turquoise one. I'll be there early on the Friday to set up my tent for the weekend before a quick return trip to Coventry for the evening. A few years ago I tossed a coin and did Silverstone instead of seeing Bruce Springsteen - duff coin toss - this year I can do both!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:06 am

It'll always be "Silverstone" for me too John! :lol: