what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Started installing the A/C.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

cavaddict
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by cavaddict » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Finally got around to dropping the engine out of the 80th. Have rebuilt the 160 that should be in there.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Chiller box is in.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Dozers Dad
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Dozers Dad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I've finaly managed to buy a set of 16" 75th anniversary wheels whithout having to take out a mortgage.They are nearly mint & have a matched set of decent tyres! :thumbsu:
Attachments
20150629_133903.jpg

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 am

talkingcars wrote:Chiller box is in.
Just in time, James :lol: 8-)
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Had to revisit the TÜV fellow this afternoon, as Lilibet (I'm still helping the new owner with her) had failed on emissions due to a knackered O2 sensor in May. So with a new sensor fitted (a right royal PITA to change!) off I went to the inspection shed. Idle was fine @870rpm and CO 0.034. But what a shock I had when the fast idle values were taken: CO north of 5 (yes, fife, not oh point five) and lambda around 0.7. Overfueling at it best. The chap said, either the new sensor isn't working, your wiring is broken or the ECU is toast. OH BUGGER, thinks I.

When collecting the probe chap says: “if it were an old Golf, I’d say it’s the idle control.” Ding dong it goes inside my head, I jump in the car, turn off the engine, ignition on and five steps on the throttle, ignition off again and engine restart. “Can you hook her up once again?” I ask and we're off for a retest.

2,650 rpm, CO = 0.022, lambda 0.996. Passed with flying colours, no advisories. The people waiting for their round looked at me as if I were a wizard :lol:

Note to self: Whenever changing a sensor, do perform a stepper motor reset!
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Plezier
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:43 am

Yesterday (Saturday) drove the 75th over to Ilkeston in Derbyshire to collect an MGF Boot rack. Did a search on the web and this threw up one for sale on Gumtree but the ad was 21 days old. Anyway I sent an e-mail and was surprised to read that it was still for sale. So an angreement was made to go over this weekend. Sunday then became out due to them having a family outing. So Yesterday afternoon a leisurely drive over was the order of the day.

In the morning I nipped into town and got a Sat Nav as did not have one and had been borrowing the nephews. Whilst they can be a pain they do help in finding an address in towns even if they cannot find ours :roll: ....................... set it up then ignored it until fairly close as they always want to take you on stupid roads especially around here.

Found the address using the sat nav ;) and parked outside it was then that someone was looking out for us (me and the 75th) as a dark Blue BMW came down the street driven like a total moron by an Asian looking bloke. They turned right and disappeared down the hill with engine screaming :roll: ........................... I went inside to conduct business. The nice lady offered a drink so whilst the kettle boiled we talked about MGF's :D it seems they only used the rack twice. It has some light scratching from storage I assume and tiny bit of surface rust .............................. will see how it cleans up. They are larger than I thought :oops: but it came with key an the T driver to fit the rack so we went out to do just that. While the kettle was boiling we heard a noise then shouting but gave it no mind ..................................... however once outside we realised that someone was really smiling on me and the 75th.

The same morons had come hurtling into the road ran wide and hit the kerb then careened off across the road into the car parked opposite the 75th, so missing her, then into the car in front of the one hit then came to a halt across the road way blocking it. The Asians then did a runner :thumbsd: however they are not particularly bright as they only live up the road it seems and everyone reconised their car. The Focus estate they hit is probably repairable but the Peugeot 107 is more than likely a write off as it looks like the O/S/R wheel has been pushed forwards and the rear ripped off.

Once allowed I maneuvered out of the road and drove home with rack fitted and had a nice little drive home in the sunshine. Will give the rack a clean up and see if it needs touching up or a repaint but I thought £50 was a reasonable price for it.

Photos to follow later.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Took the front off the glovebox from the A/C donor car as it was tan, paid £5 for it, brought it home and then spent 3 hours swapping over the gray front from my non A/C glovebox.

Would I do it this way again - no - I'd pay the £15 through eBay and get a ready built box.

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Plezier do you mind if i pass on a couple of bits of advice regarding your newly acquired boot luggage rack? If it is the same as the one i bought a few months ago and is fitted on top without drilling through the boot lid please do the following:
Do not over tighten as the boot will bend and catch when you open.
Put some protection under the feet as they can mark the boot.

Overall it is brilliant and we used when we went to Scotland and using some ratchet straps (expensively purchased at a cost of £1 each) we had no problems at all apart from the above but hey it is/was a learning curve. :-)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Well this is it:-

Genuine MG accessory.

And fitted to "Blue"

Was surprised at just how large they are but suppose that#s good for support. here are the scratches:-

My helper found it all too much:-

It's OK for some it seems.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi. From what I remember of the instructions there should be 20cm from the front of the boot lid to the first foot. It might be 15cm. Anyway the back feet should be close to the rear edge. Ash

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:23 pm

We bought one for our first TF used it for 1 trip to South of France it was a PITA you can't see out the rear, you can't lift the boot easily when its fitted & when you get there theres nowhere to store it, other than that they're very handy :lol: ours went back on ebay once we returned, a better alternative is the fitted luggage, if it fits in the bags it'll fit in the boot we've done several 2/3 week tours using the luggage.
Of course that's only my opinion, you may be happy with it.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

ianhunter

Post by ianhunter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm

What Neil said
TF 160 'oggy of the ampshire ogs' / ZR 160 (sadly now deceased) hooray now resurrected by Dave at Church Square Autos.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Does the fitted luggage have a special case for the tent or camp bed?

Although I got everything in for the Silverstone MG-Live weekend it was tight. the Boot Rack will allow the tent and camp bed to go onto the rack freeing up space inside the boot so there won't be the need for bags on the passenger seat. For my needs it will serve ;) I prefer the chrome classic look, seem to recall that I had a chrome rack for the Mk2 Spitfire all those decades ago, but once again price ruled and dictated what was bought.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Swapped the plug for the A/C switch so the plug that came from a ZR would fit and then soldered another plug on so I could fit a ZS recycle switch until I get a proper MGF one.

goody33
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 95 1.8 MPI in BRG

Post by goody33 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:53 am

Had the cambelt, waterpump and tensioner done today, just in time for MGF20.
1995 MGF 1.8mpi in British Racing Green 000258

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:12 pm

First things done for the tour to Gaydon next week:
First I removed the whole exhaust system to fit a new flexi pipe and cat together with a new set of lambda sensors, as the MIL is coming on frequently. With everything off the car I found the rubber hangers had badly deteriorated, so tried to fit new ones. Well, one snapped bolt, the heat shield in fragments and the carrier brackets probably fubar'd. Argh!
On the upside I replaced the noisy wiper assembly, made the heater to turn off again and swapped the rusty air intake box for a snorkel from a TF. Also one of the rubber seals on the hood was replaced.
So I'm waiting for a replacement heat shield and then it's also new discs and pads all round and a new windscreen. We're leaving on Tuesday ... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Hope the weather is as nice as your last UK visit 8-)
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Spent some more money!
Received front and rear Mtech grooved and drilled discs with new mintex pads in the post.
Ordered front and rear KYB excel g gas shocks, replacement caliper bolts, damper bolts and bits and bobs.
So soon I'll be on here asking for help!:roll:

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:55 pm

At lunch time (don't often get one of those at home) I re-did my order for the second and third time for the extra wiring I need for my A/C loom. Worrying thing is it got cheaper each time I did it!

This evening I checked out the locking, I was told on .org my car is faulty as the doors don't relock after 30 seconds if not opened, they don't, nor do they on the 1.8i or my daughters R100, should they?

Finally I reconnected the cruise - last year a mechanic decided to unbolt the connection to the throttle as he thought it was causing the high emissions that were due to a failed cat, apparently, and everything I have tried since has failed. Then this year at the MOT the tester decided to unplug the leads to the switch, and the colours change at the switch, so I had to find the fitting instructions - I knew which box they were in, had forgotten that the unused parts for the bling bolt/allan bolt kit were in there...........