what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by Forrester » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:47 pm

I had Avon ZV 5's fitted on my previous F & thought they were excellent.

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 am

malcolm64 wrote:Plezier do you mind if i pass on a couple of bits of advice regarding your newly acquired boot luggage rack? If it is the same as the one i bought a few months ago and is fitted on top without drilling through the boot lid please do the following:
Do not over tighten as the boot will bend and catch when you open.
Put some protection under the feet as they can mark the boot.

Overall it is brilliant and we used when we went to Scotland and using some ratchet straps (expensively purchased at a cost of £1 each) we had no problems at all apart from the above but hey it is/was a learning curve. :-)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Malcolm ........................ nope I don't mind at all. The plan was originally to use it for the trips to events that required camping. MGF20 was supposed to be such an event but due tot eh cost of camping and the nephew beign unwell as I explained when we met by your car it was not until Friday afternoon that it was confirmed that I could make it at all. Plus of course for other meets with a picnic basket.

The feet on this one are soft rubber which I will be cleaning off to make sure then is no contaminants to mark the paint and of course clean the boot lid to make sure it has none either! Typically I gave my short luggage straps to the neighbour so will ahve to purchase some new ones :roll: Have not checked yet but I believe it would be possible to fit this rack to the Rover saloons ..................... 75 and 623 will have to check at some point.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Got the exhaust back onto "Elsie" and fired her up then noticed whilst working on the manifold and routing the O2 sensor lead I have broken the temp gauge sensor wire so heve to fix that now. Plus refill the gear box with oil. Waiting for her to cool off as burnt knuckle trying to release the sensor earlier.

Plezier

Monday 10th August

Post by Plezier » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:36 am

Monday it was pump up the suspension on "Elsie" as she was sitting a mite low. As our drive is not level I have to put her out onto the crown of the road to have any chance of getting her level. Of course when I was trying to do thid everyone and their "mother In Law" decided to come along :roll: so it took 4 times as long as it should have. Then it was refit the manifold heat shields then the engine bay cover.

Today it's a trip to the garage in the next village to see about the sill and wheel arch repair and deal with the rust bubbles around the lower part of the intake vents repair and ask if they can remove that stubborn inner gear box support arm bolt ............................. the one that I have failed to get onto properly.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:20 am

Our Black Boot Rack came with Instructions giving the measurement for positioning the feet/clamps. We then applied some red plastic tape under the lid marking the correct clamp positions.
These Instructions and Rack went when the SS Bolt on Rack and case were fitted.
Geoff F.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Dropped off a pair of LE MUltispoke rims to be blasted then painted ready for new rubber. Once done they will grace the frotn of "Elsie". Have decided to try slightly narrower width this time of 205/45 R16 to see how they perform, steer, and grip. Tried tog et a quote for the rear wheela rch and sill repairs but my usual place is far too busy being booked solid until the end of October!! So having to try other places.

The replacement gearbox support arm arrived from Hill which beign used has rust on it so after a wire brushing it went into the Bilt Hamber Deox-C. After this has done it's work it will be primed then painted with a couple of colour coats then a coat of clear lacquer and the insides sprayed with Waxoyl underseal for protection. This should sort out any potential MOT failures.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Finally got around to fitting the Plum coloured drivers door handle, OK it's not Mulberry but, it looks a whole lot better than te Thaiti blue one I fitted so she had a working door handle. Also had to remove the passenger side handle from "Blue" and tighten up the piott screw as it ahd vibrated loose.

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:06 am

Yesterday I started refurbishing a couple of standard front brake calipers that I got off of eBay. They came with their carriers and I spent a couple of hours with a drill and wire brush attachment cleaning them. Next step is get the old pistons out for replacement and fit all new seals etc. Then it'll be red paint time. Then took LillyRoo out for a run. Damned fuel gauge packed up again....looks like a problem with electrical connections on the top of the fuel pump.

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

goody33
Model of Car: 95 1.8 MPI in BRG

Post by goody33 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Fitted a complete n/s front hub assembly as the bearing was knackered and it just seemed easier to fit the whole new assembly.
1995 MGF 1.8mpi in British Racing Green 000258

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Got the old pistons out of the calipers that I'm refurbing. Not sure how widely known this tip is is but I got it from You Tube. It's a easy way to push the pistons out of the caliper if you don't have compressed air.
Cut down and shape an old tyre valve so that the rubber end will screw into where the flexible hose normally fits. Using a footpump you can now pump out the piston. Works well. I used a bit of wood to stop the piston bashing against the metal caliper when it popped out. :thumbsu:

Then put a first coat of gloss flame red caliper paint on the 2 carriers.

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Top tip! :thumbsu:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 am

Due to a very helpful Simon at Banhams of Spilsby I was able to cheange the rusted gearbox support arm for a good replacement this afternoon:-

This would have been a MOT failure and hers is due next month. I managed to undo all but the lower inner bolt the other week but could not get onto that one properly so rather hat chew the bolt head up asked Simon to have a look at it. Up on a ramp it was a much simpler job to get onto it.

Once home the job was then simple:-

Clean up the rust with a wire brush then paint with rust treat/primer.

Fit the painted replacement then spray the exposed bols with underseal for protection for the future.

rollovermatt

Post by rollovermatt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Lots of scratches, lacquer coming off and a melted mark caused by an air freshener getting too warm on the plastic. Decided to look into vinyl wrapping. With a little practice, it was relatively easy! Curves at the bottom of the centre console were difficult though...
Attachments
20150820_162441.jpg

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:18 am

The fruits of the past few days labour!
2 x front calipers refurbished.
New pistons, seals, bolts, bleed nipples and 3 coats of very shiney red caliper paint!
Flame red...it'll be hard not to spot these!
Flame red...it'll be hard not to spot these!

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Fitted a bit more door bling.
Rover 75 interior door handle surrounds.
IMG_20150827_140407.jpg
IMG_20150827_140423.jpg

malcolm64
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF1.8i

Post by malcolm64 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Sweet!!! Do like them :-)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 pm

They finish the door off really nicely. Am very pleased with the result

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 am

Tightened up the alternator belt so it doesn't squeal upon start up,
fitted a new seal washer to the washer bottle, replaced rear vision mirror control handle
and tightened up the handbrake cable so the warning light stays off,
and fitted new hose clamp to resonator feed and fuel vapour return.

Will get massive brownie points for handbrake light when the lady drives the car on the weekend.

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:11 pm

scruffygit wrote:They finish the door off really nicely. Am very pleased with the result

They look great. Do they fit the Mk 2 'F as well? How are they fixed in place please?
Thanks,
John

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:25 pm

They look great. Do they fit the Mk 2 'F as well? How are they fixed in place please?
Thanks,
John
Hi John. My F is a Mk1 with Mk2 door cards so they will fit.
I basically followed this from the T-Bar forum.
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf ... -75-chrome
I struggled to find glue that would do the job though. Mine are fixed using adhesive that is in strip form and a bit like plasticine! Not sure what it's called but Mike Satur supplies it on his alloy speaker surround kit for the F.
It has the advantage of allowing you to remove the trims without damage should need to take the door card off. I purchased a couple of strips from Mike Satur for £3.90 delivered and it works well.
Scruffy