A Volcano has erupted in CANADA

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: A Volcano has erupted in CANADA

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 am

That's an interesting observation Rob.
That may be why the guys who have imported Japanese cars haven't needed to change their headlights.
My main concern is not dazzling oncoming traffic, as well as getting full light on the road. If the Japanese lenses are in fact
a third variation that should work out just fine.
Is there any evidence supporting this? Does anyone have a parts microfiche (disc?) that covers the Japanese spec Fs?
Regardless I will check them all out when my car arrives.

swindrum
Model of Car: 1997 MGF VVC

Post by swindrum » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:47 pm

A second volcano is about to erupt on the west coast, 7300 km from the first one! I leave in 10 minutes to go pick up my 97 VVC in volcano orange, I can't wait to see her for the first time!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:20 am

Expect a third eruption in a couple of weeks!
Mine was scheduled to leave Japan today. :thumbsu:

swindrum

Post by swindrum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:45 am

Rich, have you seen my Gray F cruising around Vancouver yet?

Picked up "Myoku" tonight, she is beautiful! Not as pristine as Terraneuve's car, but very nice! The front bumpr has ben resprayed and doesn't match exactly, but otherwise she is good! Half-leather, air,tonneau, 88,000km, VVC, runs like a champ!
I ill try to et hr through BC compliance quickly, but the big box 'o uprades includes, miltek exhaust, black 11 spoke wheels, K&N, MGFMania rear window, 52mm throttle body, lowering pins... :D

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Better polish her up and get some pictures Sean!
Waiting for my car is killing me and I need A Volcano fix!

Seems my Charcoal MGF knows something is up as the head gasket went a couple
of weeks ago. :roll: He's back on the road now with a new headgasket, timing belt, water pump etc, etc!

swindrum

Post by swindrum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm

As she sits right now, unwashed and parked in the yard...

Rich, did you do the work yourself? How tough did you find it?

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 am

Beautiful car Sean.
Mark

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Rich in Vancouver wrote:.......Does anyone have a parts microfiche (disc?) that covers the Japanese spec Fs?............
Rimmers have all the parts numbers.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks, but I was hoping that there was a listing of parts peculiar to the Japanese cars.
I was wondering about the small differences to meet their compliance. I know of a few like the
post-cat O2 sensor. The one I was specifically wondering about was the headlamp lens. That doesn't show up
on the Rimmers site, but it was probably something that only Valeo would know about, and after all this time
they probably wouldn't care. No matter as I have bought a pair of new LHD headlamps so my car will be legal here. :)

Sean, Myoku is beautiful! I hope mine is as nice. :thumbsu:
I hope you don't mind but she is going to be my computer wallpaper till mine gets here.
(I have to come up with a name.....Time to put my thinking cap on!)

terreneuve

Post by terreneuve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Rich in Vancouver wrote:Thanks, but I was hoping that there was a listing of parts peculiar to the Japanese cars.
I was wondering about the small differences to meet their compliance. I know of a few like the
post-cat O2 sensor. The one I was specifically wondering about was the headlamp lens. That doesn't show up
on the Rimmers site, but it was probably something that only Valeo would know about, and after all this time
they probably wouldn't care. No matter as I have bought a pair of new LHD headlamps so my car will be legal here. :)

Sean, Myoku is beautiful! I hope mine is as nice. :thumbsu:
I hope you don't mind but she is going to be my computer wallpaper till mine gets here.
(I have to come up with a name.....Time to put my thinking cap on!)
Considering the last one was "Andy" the next one should be "Flo" !!!!

Car looks great, Sean!!!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 pm

I do have a little Flo figurine but somehow she just doesn't seem appropriate for the car...Maybe for a ZT!
I think that the Barmaid would suit the car better, but they don't make a figurine of her. :(

Sean, Doing the head gasket wasn't all that bad. There's nothing unusual to the job. Certainly more room to work than when I did the one on my
daughter's Ford Contour (Mondeo) Still it would have been nice to have long skinny double jointed arms to get at the
timing belt. In the end I pulled the R/R shock off so that I could get my arm in, and I still have bruises on my forearm to show for it!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Rimmers do list parts used on ZS's/45 that were export or were Japan or were Police issue so I guess if there is no listing then there was no difference.

They do show LHD headlights in stock.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 pm

I bought a set of new LHD headlamps from a company called BS motors (Really!) who trade as E-Car parts on E-bay.
The prices were better than Rimmers and they are very good to deal with.
My hope was that I would find someone in the UK with a set of LHD headlamps that they couldn't use and we could just swap lenses
by mail but no such luck. It's nice to have a set of the proper lights but getting just the lenses wouldn't have cost me $500.! :cry:

Miccon
Model of Car: MGF1.8 Mpi

Post by Miccon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 am

Rich
I have just done the mod for my OOP inspection in AB, I had sourced an old LHD set of Headlamps and was going to do a straight swap but the silvering was pretty poor so next option I thought was to swap the lenses. But nothing is ever easy, the Tabs on the Lenses do not match RHD Lenses, so back to square one I thought but then as one of the forums suggested swap sides and reverse the Lens and Voila, the same dip pattern as a LHD Lens. I rebuilt the Lens and no probs with the OOP.
BTW I have a 95 Red MPi and a 96 Charcoal VVC both now residing a little south of Edmonton, AB
MGTD (51) MGB's 76 -81, MGF1.8i, TR4, TR7.....etc

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm

I am glad you found it works Miccon.
Every time someone has asked the question and I have posted the standard lens side-swap trick, people who clearly haven't done it - dismiss the idea without trying it or just ignore it altogether. It works!

Rich in Vancouver

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:15 am

That's interesting that it works.
I would be sceptical that the beam would be correct with the textured side of the lens on the outside.
I'm inclined to think if it was that simple MGR would have done it, but if it works, it works I suppose.

Miccon, It's good to hear an update on your Fs. I have been wondering how you were making out. My second MGF is due to land next Monday
and should be in my hands a week after that. Fun and games! :thumbsu: