Rust in(to) pieces... a cautionary tale of a 17 year old MGF

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: Rust in(to) pieces... a cautionary tale of a 17 year old

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I drove mine down here from Sheffield in 2001. It took me three and a half days. France is a big place when you're doing 40mph! In all fairness using a motorway in an A7 scares the hell out of me although in town/city traffic you can keep up with everyone else. Best to stay on the back roads and enjoy the view - there's generally no-one in front of you, they're usually stuck behind trying to get past!

I took her to the French Alps last September, to the top of the Col de la Bonnette between Nice and Barcelonnette. Claimed to be the highest tarmac road in Europe open to the general public, it tops out at 2808m (just under 10,000 feet). It was a bloody long climb (26km) all of it in 2nd gear, but we got to the top without any problems. In all we did a round trip of 487 miles in two days at 47mpg & 1litre of oil.

Photo here at the summit: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258 ... c9d3c9.jpg

Whilst getting to the top was a long slog, the descent was more exciting. The Austin Seven isn't renowned for the quality of it's cable operated brakes.

HenryB
MGF Register Region: Essex

Post by HenryB » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 pm

That the sort of exploit I was hoping to hear.
Man and machine in perfect harmony against the odds.
Well done.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 am

HenryB wrote:Seem to remember we had this conversation before Rob when I first joined the forum, ie your inability and desire to learn welding ;) Hopefully you will find the time and/or course to learn. Its good fun and you can save a bit of money.
Absolutely right Henry! Actually, even if I had the skill, I think I'd get Keith at Techspeed to repair it for me as I am so time poor. It's one thing taking my own time on Project Shed, which doesn't get used on a near daily basis, versus a car that is...

But agree with everyone - a repair well done is a good and sensible investment! Mine isn't a neglected car, and the corrosion came as a surprise: I simply did not see it coming. So I mention it as a beware to others :)

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 am

I relate the cost of repairs to the monthly payments on a new car. As long at the repairs average out to less then monthly payments its worth while.
Mark

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:32 am

Saw Rob's car at Techspeed yesterday waiting collection.I was surprised that they were doing heavy restorations including sub-frame refurbishing etc. Their expertise makes them well worth considering by anyone wanting work done.
Our car is now 12 years old and is better than many new delivered cars that sat outside for many months before being sold as it was built to my options spec. and delivered direct to my heated garage in Switzerland..
Keeping a car outside probably parked over a puddle of water is an expensive buisness. SWMBO and I had a discussion over whose car/s should take the garage space which obviously I lost so I had a 5 Metre extension built on the rear of the RH garage.
This cost was less than restoring a tin worm car.
An additional low cost tool is a pressure wash to remove the dirt and salt from underneath each spring thereby allowing moisture to dry off.
Geoff F.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 am

I wish I had the space to extend the garage/workshop Geoff. Well, actually I have, but it's still narrow, as was the form of garages built in 1927. And since the house is Semi-detached, without invading the neighbour's office conversion, there is little scope for widening the garage. Hey ho.

When I am rich I'll get a garage/workshop with a house attached ;)

Vinyljunkie
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 98mk1 & 01 mk2

Post by Vinyljunkie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd advise caution with gassless mig. I found it to be a pain, didnt penetrate as well and smokey as hell.the spatter is a pain in the arris too. If you have somewhere inside to weld use gas. I use an argon mix but co2 is just as good. I had no mig welding skills to speak of to begin with and after practice I've rebuilt the complete shell of my midget. This site is the bee knees for all your questions. Helped me no end, but the main thing is practice. :-)
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
too old to die young.....

'72 MG midget RWA,
'98 mk1 MGF VVC,
'01 MY MGF VVC,
'01 Saab 95 SE est,
'96 4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD
'81 Honda custom bike
I really need to stop buying things with Engines...maybe there's a support group?
:-)

924Rothmans
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: MGF

Post by 924Rothmans » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi all, I would definatly give welding ago, its not as hard as it seems and practice makes perfect, mine was spitting like cooking bacon as i was welding the rear roll cage. Start on some scrap steel and enjoy :D
Mgf

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Vinyljunkie wrote:I'd advise caution with gassless mig. I found it to be a pain, didnt penetrate as well and smokey as hell.the spatter is a pain in the arris too. If you have somewhere inside to weld use gas. I use an argon mix but co2 is just as good. I had no mig welding skills to speak of to begin with and after practice I've rebuilt the complete shell of my midget. This site is the bee knees for all your questions. Helped me no end, but the main thing is practice. :-)
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
Great suggestion on that site!

Wish I had some scrap metal to practice on! Gary, when are you next planning to visit the scrappy? I'll come with you! :lol:

purplebargeken
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by purplebargeken » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:12 pm

I'd be up for another visit. It is a great breakers yard.
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 am

Great! We should co-ordinate a visit then! 8-)