£2000 compensation from MGF Reborn

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

andywatson
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF 1.9 Scholar

£2000 compensation from MGF Reborn

Post by andywatson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Following on from my previous thread a few months back where I highlighted all of the shoddy work carried out on my car by MGF Reborn, I would now like to confirm that Daryl has paid me £2000 compensation in order to prevent this matter going to court. The money is to cover putting right the appalling standard of work that was carried out on my car. The money nowhere covers the cost of correcting all of the issues, but as I have spent a lot of time in court on personal matters recently, I really do not have the stomach to take this matter any further. So in terms of financial compensation this matter is now closed and I will not be seeking any further monies from Daryl.

A small sample of the issues are most of the bolts only being finger tight, including NSF wheel hub, NSF shock, subframe and engine mounts. Steering wheel not bolted on correctly, electrical cables just joined with insulating tape and left dangling, in fact the whole under bonnet bay loom was a mess. But thankfully my car went through an MGF Reborn 300 point safety check and Daryl's girlfriend, an ex NHS medical secretary did the final quality control check. So things could have been a lot worse without all those checks.

Daryl has asked me to go in to business with him to handle his PR, i'm not sure that i'm the right person for the job, so I will be declining his offer.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Re: £2000 compensation from MGF Reborn

Post by stuart » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi Andy

It's good you got something back I guess, and having seen your car up close and being mighty impressed I fully appreciate that only the highest standards of workmanship will do as befits the vision you had in creating it in the first place- it is a stunner!

Fair play to you for not handling the PR side too- we turn down work if its ethically/morally questionable and in conflict with our ideals- we have to like what looks back at us in the mirror after all.

Some credit to MGF Reborn for trying to make amends I guess- plenty of traders won't, however I fully appreciate that any car but especially a car such as yours should have left the workshop in A1 order.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by Forrester » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:35 am

Andy I think you should post a follow up on this thread as Daryl has now ceased trading, after discussions with you.

andywatson

Post by andywatson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am

As forester has suggested, following a text from Daryl last Friday, where he confirmed he had sold his tools and parts he has in stock. I then had a lengthy telephone conversation with him where he advised me that he was ceasing trading, he stated that he had taken on to much and as previously only working on a production line he did not have the necessary skills for the work he had undertaken. I wish Daryl every success with whatever business he undertakes in the future as he is a genuinely nice man, who just bit off a bit more than he could chew.

chrisrigby
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Post by chrisrigby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm

andywatson wrote:As forester has suggested, following a text from Daryl last Friday, where he confirmed he had sold his tools and parts he has in stock. I then had a lengthy telephone conversation with him where he advised me that he was ceasing trading, he stated that he had taken on to much and as previously only working on a production line he did not have the necessary skills for the work he had undertaken. I wish Daryl every success with whatever business he undertakes in the future as he is a genuinely nice man, who just bit off a bit more than he could chew.
You’ve changed your tune... considering everything I’ve read about your posts and MGF-Reborn you have been very negative.

I’ve said before the experience I had with this company was nothing but good and I have been complimentary about it. We all have the freedom of free speech permitted to state our "opinion". Maybe you’ve made your point about your experience that would be the end of it.. so you’ve been compensated for your troubles but continuously put other people off the service.. well now its closed I have no help off local mgf guy!

You’ve changed your tune... considering everything I’ve read about your posts and MGF-Reborn you have been very negative.

I’ve said before the experience I had with this company was nothing but good and I have been complimentary about it. We all have the freedom of free speech permitted to state our "opinion". Maybe you’ve made your point about your experience that would be the end of it.. so you’ve been compensated for your troubles but continuously put other people off the service.. well now its closed I have no help off local mgf guy!

My view of your post is that it is a very personel I dont claim to know the owner nor anyone of the other members of the company but it does read rather personel between you and the company. I dont believe that airing your grevences in public does anything but cause arguments. Surely it should be between one and another?

This is my "Freedom of speech" on an open forum!

andywatson

Post by andywatson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Just to reiterate Chris, I had no intention of posting anymore, Daryl asked me to post to let everyone know he compensated me, which I have done. I believe that by compensating me and asking me to post, Daryl thought this would be good PR and make everything go away. I am sure that Daryl has had happy customers, you being one of them, but that does not deflect from the unhappy customers who have been given back cars that were not fit for the road. This is not about money, this is about safety, using myself as the example. When I was given my car back I had been told by Daryl it had undergone a thorough safety check, in his words a non registered MOT. I drove 140 miles home with my NSF wheel adapter, NSF damper, engine mounts & subframe bolts all finger tight. Potentially my wife and I could have had a serious accident or worse. I am in a more fortunate position than others in that I have been able to get all of these things and more put right quickly, this has never been about money, but I hope you agree that if a garage delivers a car back to a client in this way it is more a public duty to notify others, I'm sure you would do the same.

I can assure you I have no personal grievance against Daryl, purely against the standard of his work. There is a lot more to come out in the wash, so all I would ask is that you reserve your judgement until all the facts become public knowledge.

chrisrigby
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Post by chrisrigby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:37 pm

andywatson wrote:There is a lot more to come out in the wash, so all I would ask is that you reserve your judgement until all the facts become public knowledge.
Having taken some compensation is this not the end of the matter?? Yes if you were unhappy then yes you have a right to complain, being such a small community I think you made your point, but continuing trying to make your point? what does this achieve?

andywatson

Post by andywatson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Chris, I have finished with it, it is only other people who are posting and me replying that are keeping this going.