Is the "F" a sports car (to you)?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

MGF74
MGF Register Region: Europe

Is the "F" a sports car (to you)?

Post by MGF74 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:23 am

Hello,

I saw the documentary "The Golden Age of the British Sports Car" again the other night (I get Freesat here in Hanover)...

(see also ---> here)

MG is mentioned in this documentary as a maker of sports cars, alongside true sports cars like the E type.

So, is the F/TF a sports car to you? Does it fit that description?

To me, my "F" is just a sporty convertible, or a "sports convertible" if you will... but I wouldn't necessarily call it an actual sports car, also because I don't think the 120 hp, fun as they are, qualify it as a true sports car.

Opinions?

Cheers,

MGF74.
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: Is the "F" a sports car (to you)?

Post by sniperpenguin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 am

Controversially, Im going to agree with you on this one although it does depend on the definition.

To me, the F/TF's are a "fun convertible", edging into classic car territory. Cheap fun, but not fast seeing as any semi-modern hatch / most late nineties "sporty" cars will leave the car for dust.

However, a big difference here is in the twisty bits. The TF is both RWD and planted, and I have tons of confidence in the car which I dont have in other vehicles I drive (both older and modern). Its also cheap to fix and maintain, so Im happy that way.
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00 pm

sniperpenguin wrote:not fast seeing as any semi-modern hatch / most late nineties "sporty" cars will leave the car for dust.
That is true. The other day, I had trouble keeping up with some Japanese hot-hatch boy racer at a traffic light... I guess you need at least the TF160 to even have a chance...

But then again, what's sporty about my car is definitely the sound and the vibration I get from my BN-Pipes exhaust (combined with the fact that you're closer to the engine anyway in the F/TF). It's kind of a profound sensation everytime I turn the key and the beast in the rear awakens... that's definitely more sports car-like than the average humdrum saloon or hatchback :)

Also, the mid engine layout and the low centre of gravity definitely allow for "sporty" handling... it's like a road-going go kart at times...

But again, close, but no cigar. A few sporty attributes alone do not a sports car make...

mal7921
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by mal7921 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:48 pm

MGF74 wrote:Also, the mid engine layout and the low centre of gravity definitely allow for "sporty" handling... it's like a road-going go kart at times...
That's exactly how I see and describe my TF to others. It does though have an allusion towards being sporty in the styling and at the time of launch would still have had an advantage with the combination of engine power and lack of weight. But in today's market, even the lower end of the eurobox ranges can compete on engine power.

I love the TF though because of the way it is, not overly stupid in power but enough to give a thrill when driving and a noise to suite. I love the steering responsiveness, which is way better than it was on the F I had before and adds to the allure of sportyness without compromising too much. It makes it more fun if you like.

Compared to today's racers, it would be a stretch to even say the VVC 160 is a sports car, but these days that's not the point of the car. We buy them because we like and enjoy them and I for one would miss mine should I have to part with it. I can't say that for many other cars I've driven, old or new.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Yes, the F and TF is a sports car in the same way as MGBs and Midgets were. And Fs and TFs were and are used in competitive motorsport, so by any definition I can think of, it is a "Sports Car". :D

BTW Sports cars don't have to be the quickest. More often than not, it is the way they handle that is key. The Lotus Elise isn't the fastest car on the road, but there are no arguments as to whether that car qualifies...

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Yes, the F and TF is a sports car in the same way as MGBs and Midgets were. And Fs and TFs were and are used in competitive motorsport, so by any definition I can think of, it is a "Sports Car". :D

BTW Sports cars don't have to be the quickest. More often than not, it is the way they handle that is key. The Lotus Elise isn't the fastest car on the road, but there are no arguments as to whether that car qualifies...
+1
Of course it's a sports car. Just having huge amounts of excess power is boring. Wringing the most out of a car with modest power good handling and tactile steering is far more enjoyable, for someone who can drive.
In fact with 50 MPG possible cars like ours may be the future of sports cars. The most recent 911, the 991, isn't a sports car IMHO.

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Stan_B wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:Yes, the F and TF is a sports car in the same way as MGBs and Midgets were. And Fs and TFs were and are used in competitive motorsport, so by any definition I can think of, it is a "Sports Car". :D

+1
Of course it's a sports car. Just having huge amounts of excess power is boring. Wringing the most out of a car with modest power good handling and tactile steering is far more enjoyable, for someone who can drive.
In fact with 50 MPG possible cars like ours may be the future of sports cars. The most recent 911, the 991, isn't a sports car IMHO.
50MPG? Have you been coasting with the clutch in for 20 miles down the M6 again? :lol:
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

mal7921

Post by mal7921 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Using the calculations in Torque Widgets, my TF135 gets around 45MPG on the motorway so long as I'm not doing silly speeds, so could be possible.

Average is less though, work runs in rush hour bring my average MPG down to 33MPG

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Stan_B wrote:The most recent 911, the 991, isn't a sports car IMHO.
That's kind of a tough call though... they have horse power in abundance, and their whole layout is every inch a real sports car... what I don't like about modern cars in that market segment (and that also includes the Mercedes SL and the Audi R8) is that these cars nowadays aren't built for petrolheads, even well to do ones, anymore. All the mod cons nowadays, the soundproofing, the cupholders, and all the interior high tech, sort of take away from the traditional sports car spirit. More often than not, in the R8 for example, you see a middle aged doctor/lawyer/executive type behind the wheel in a designer suit (but it appears that older model R8s are now gradually being taken over by young rich Mideastern drivers here)...

If you take the 1973 Porsche 911 turbo, now that one was a real beast, it delivered a raw down-and-dirty driving experience and it actually took practice and fearlessness to learn how to handle the sometimes quite capricious turbo charger. Or take the original 1980s Audi quattro, which was also not for the faint hearted, at least with the 2.2-liter 5-cylinder turbo... Those were real thoroughbred sports cars.

And it's also something I like about the F/TF... even if engine power isn't up there, it still delivers a bit of that "raw" driving experience of traditional sports cars.
Last edited by MGF74 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stan_B
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Now this is a sports car, and I would like to own it. The 991 and current Cayman are pieces on the chessboard of a computer honed marketing exercise.
My mildly tuned TF 115 is easily capable of 50 MPG in normal use out of town. It rarely drops below 40. Maybe the Seat spoiler helps ? I was surprised the first time it came out north of 50 on a run to some relatives in Dunfermline, it then repeated the trick on the F register continental trip this year. It has been remapped by Z+F.

Martin_Bmth
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Post by Martin_Bmth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Definitely an old school british sports car imho.
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:38 pm

It's the car that Cecil Kimber would have produced if he were alive - derived from 'off the shelf' parts and offering value, excitement and that MaGic feel!

And 'Maintaining The Breed' as Mr Thornley put it ...

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:07 am

The MGF is an Intergalactic Space Chariot.

Of course it's a bloody sports car. Don't be ridiculous. :roll:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:46 am

My VVC F is mildly modified with k&N induction and a 52mm throttle body so it sounds the part but it's slower in a straight line than either of my ZS180's.

It is no faster in the lanes than the ZS's or the ZR160.

What it does have is a convertible roof and only 2 seats so sounds and feels more sporty than the saloons or the hatch.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Skipness
Model of Car: TF just sold F :-(

Post by Skipness » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm

What I find is that an MGF attracts positive comments from complete strangers, so who cares whether it is a real sports car or not.
Admittedly my MGF has an unusual paint job, but it is a 17 year old car and still fun to use.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Skipness
Model of Car: TF just sold F :-(

Post by Skipness » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Less than two hours after my previous post above I had to call atTibshelf services on the M1 to buy some over priced drink and sweets for my young passenger. When I returned to the MG I met a fellow traveller who asked of about the car. If would like one but has yet to convert his wife!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Skipness wrote:Less than two hours after my previous post above I had to call atTibshelf services on the M1 to buy some over priced drink and sweets for my young passenger. When I returned to the MG I met a fellow traveller who asked of about the car. If would like one but has yet to convert his wife!
Keep spreading the word! :lol:

Miccon
MGF Register Region: Canada
Model of Car: MGF1.8 Mpi

Post by Miccon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 am

A sports car will always put a smile on your face when put through its paces
I am usually grinning like a Cheshire cat when I come home after a run.

In my recent foray south of the Border, I gave quite a few US old school MG owners their first opportunity to drive an F.
Now have you seen a smile as wide as a Stetson... They needed little convincing that an MGF is an MG sportscar.
MGTD (51) MGB's 76 -81, MGF1.8i, TR4, TR7.....etc

diesel destroyer
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 am

Not in standard form.. To me..

They were built on a limited budget

The brakes are stoopid.. Not even the APs are that great

I've tried to address the 'naughty list' on my build..

'Proper brakes'

Better anti roll bars

More torsional stiffness

Better seats

More power

Now its almost a sports car ;)

(Just my opinion obviously)

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Poor brakes, dodgy seating, suspect handling, iffy build quality - sounds like a 50's Ferrari, or an E Type Jag or a 70s/80's Aston Martin. I dare anyone to say they are not sports cars. Twenty year old cars cannot be judged on modern standards. In the day, the F received great right ups from all of the motoring press - even clarkson liked it. The Trophy came out on top in a head to head with a Boxter, and an early F trumped the BMW Z3. Even the relaunched TF, although heavily critised for its age was described by autocar as still a good drive with supple handling (or words to that effect).

The purpose of a sports car is to add a little excitment into your otherwise mundane daily drive. To that end you can drive an MGF/TF at 8/10's and feel a twitch in your backside as you reach the limit of adhesion. Try that in a Ferrari 458 on the same corner and it will more than likely turn you inside out and spit you out in pieces, because to drive at 8/10's in one of those takes real skill because of the speeds you will be travelling at (not my quote, but something someone said to me recently).

and I think that is the point - we all drive these cars because they match the ability of most of us and as that ability improves the car allows you to push it that little bit further. for me, that makes it a sports car.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses