Tonneau cover

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

radiomarty
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 1.8vvc

Tonneau cover

Post by radiomarty » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi folks - I have a problem with both the tonneau covers on our MGF'S - they seem to be shedding what looks like a sand type substance which is a real pain when you take them off - is there any tricks to prevent this ? -Cheers Marty

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Tonneau cover

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 am

Is this from the foam backing of the tonneau? If so, it is the foam breaking down and I am not sure that there is any solution available other than removing the old foam and figuring out a way of replacing it with fresh?

radiomarty
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 1.8vvc

Post by radiomarty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks Rob - It does indeed seem to be the foam coming out the seams - wondering if its heat related as I keep them stored the boot - will have to see if it is feasible to reline them as suggested. Thought this might affect a lot of people because both mine do it .

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

I am sure it will. I haven't really checked mine as I never use them! :lol:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:39 pm

No, not heat related. I store mine in the boot all year round, I treat it with leather cleaner and conditioner a couple of times a year but they've survived higher than UK temperatures for several years now.

I think getting a new one would be the best option I really can't see how it could be re-stuffed but I'm no expert.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Martin_Bmth
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Post by Martin_Bmth » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm

I happen to know "Charless" has a spare tonneau cover for sale if you're looking for a replacement, he's a thoroughly nice chap , give him a pm for the details if you fancy it. :-)
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet