DAB radio

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

DAB radio

Post by Helsbyman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Well I bit the bullet to-day and got myself a DAB radio. I seen it advertised on Halfords web site at a discounted price of £59 [ an 85% discount so Halfords said ]with a free DAB areal so took the bull by the horns and bought it
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

redbeard57
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Re: DAB radio

Post by redbeard57 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 am

Well done...I have had one of these new fangled things for a couple of years now, so I can really recommend them. It was being suggested that the AM/FM stations were going to be turned off like the old analog TV stations so all cars would need to get a digibox to enable the driver to listen to the radio, much like those that are now attached to your TV's at home......I was just not sure where it is going to fit in an F!! :D :D

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:56 am

Hi Simon see you got a good price on your ebay items ha
My radio is selling on ebay for £149-£225 so I got a bargain at £59 its a Sony 700u
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels

MartinW
Model of Car: LE500, MG6GT, MGB GT

Post by MartinW » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:44 am

Yours is cheap, we're paying £10,000 for a DAB radio, even having to trade in the TF to afford it!
MartinW
No longer a TF owner...sad times :(

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 am

HI Martin so you ARE getting rid of the TF I was going to say this means you won't have a sports car but I forgot you have the "B"

MartinW
Model of Car: LE500, MG6GT, MGB GT

Post by MartinW » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Mrs W wants a smaller car and no surprise, MG3, but I will take over the MG6 and may yet look for an early MGF as I do like the look of the F.
MartinW
No longer a TF owner...sad times :(

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:55 am

I have got a JVC which has FM and DAB. To keep the standard aerial I bought an in line pre-amp. It's a tiny little box that lives in the general wiring clutter behind the radio and is fed from the accessory output.
Its fine but involves a lot retuning on a journey. I got it as insurance against having more radio spectrum stolen from us before being sold back.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Is it a pre-amp or a DAB splitter?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 pm

talkingcars wrote:Is it a pre-amp or a DAB splitter?
you have me here. I think its a dab splitter as I only got the head unit and an areal on the screen
One thing for sure I don't get any interference now as I use too

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 pm

It'll be an amp then, the screen aerial supplies DAB, the standard one for the FM.

On my ZS I used the standard aerial and a splitter to avaoid the screen aerial, most of the time it holds the signal.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Yes, it is a splitter but it's active so it has to be pre amp as well. I looked ar screen aerials but there are just too ugly.

Ian007
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by Ian007 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi Helsbyman

Did Halfords make a good job of installing it, particularly the screen aerial. I have been toying with the idea for weeks as their prices are rock bottom at the moment.

Cheers

Ian
2000 MGF VVC pearlescent BRG, 52mm throttle body, Scorpion exhaust, induction kit and hours of fun

Helsbyman

Post by Helsbyman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes they did, it took 15mins to put it in

arsvs
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 98 1.8 vvci

Post by arsvs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

my solution to this was to buy a pioneer mechless headunit. £99 from amazon. connects to my iphone via Bluetooth so all functions can be used the use any of the many radio apps available. job done, the phone is away and I can control it from the headunit, including the radio stations.
I can listen to absolute 80s to my hearts content and on the up side no aerial mods needed.
For extra info if youre not technically minded all you have to do is pair it just the once then itll do it every time you get in the car.
====== AN EXHAUST PIPE IS NOT A SEX TOY ======