what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by robbie1003 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm

done a couple of jobs thisevening, new ecu temp sender and I have replaced the nut insert for lamda. the nut insert replacement is due to damage occurred when removing the old lamda, was well and truly rusted solid and on removal thread was damaged, new sensor went in cross threaded and not fully but was only temporary measure until tonight. welded up old threaded hole and just drilled new location for sensor and welded the new nut in,job done.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri May 23, 2014 4:47 am

I rang the inspection station to discuss how they intend to view the engine number of my new engine when I present the car for new MOT next month. "An Mg what???" "F??"

I explained mid-engine, you know like an MR2. The engine no is facing the firewall and under the exhaust,
you won't have a hope of reading it when it's in the car, blah blah blah.

"Sounds like a nice car". Now I'm getting somewhere.

What they do in this digital age is take a photo of the new engine no. to keep with their records.
So I just have to take the photo for them before I put everything back together and all should be Ok.

MG Matt
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: 2005 MG TF 1.6

Post by MG Matt » Fri May 23, 2014 6:13 pm

I've fitted two new track rod end, two new front tyres and set up the four wheel alignment both front and rear to within 0.1mm on all of the settings 8-)

PS - this in my new TF that I've had two weeks today!
2005 MG TF 1.6 X Power Grey
1979 VW Scirocco Storm in Schwarz
1974 Skoda S110LS now fully UK registered and hitting the shows

MGF74
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by MGF74 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Going to conduct exploratory disassembly of the centre console today, to see if one or several Peltier cooler(s) can be fitted to the compartment under the armrest.

Some newer luxury cars have optional beverage coolers, and that centre console compartment just might be ideal for this purpose.

A Peltier cooler works by creating a temperature difference between its two surfaces, which can be used to create a cooling effect. They come in many shapes and sizes, but are generally little more than three or four millimetres thick, which would make them ideal to be fitted to the outside of the armrest compartment under the centre console. The cooling effect can be further enhanced by fitting small cooling fans on top of them, similar to those used to cool CPUs in computers.

So anyway, going to disassemble that bit of the centre console, to see if this is something that is worth pursuing further.
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm

MGF74, that sounds like an interesting project. If you go for it I would love to see a how to on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Post by Db09 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:18 pm

We are spending the weekend at donington park at world super bikes it's had a trouble free run out .

Lord Tolly
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Lord Tolly » Sat May 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Gave Mabel another polish.

Then it rained hard
Custodian of the mighty Mabel

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:04 pm

jaydoginvasion wrote:MGF74, that sounds like an interesting project. If you go for it I would love to see a how to on here!
I will.

Just had a look-around in my car and removed some parts in the centre console;

What makes this fairly feasible is that the front armrest compartment is a fairly small space, and based on that alone it should be reasonably easy to cool and maintain at a low temperature.

The challenge is going to be the ambient temperature inside the centre console. I imagine that this area gets a fair amount of excess heat from the engine bay, which will in turn reduce the effectiveness of a Peltier cooler, as these devices operate with a more or less fixed internal temperature difference. The hotter the ambient air temperature, the higher the cooling temperature on the other side and therefore the less the cooling effect. Also, it will mean that the contents of the armrest compartment receive a good amount of heat, so the question would be, can the outside of the removable plastic container of the armrest compartment be wrapped in styrofoam to reduce this effect?

To accomodate styrofoam insulation and to be able to fit the styrofoam-clad container back into the gap in the centre console, that gap will also most likely have to be widened by half a centimetre or so on each side.

Also, you would have to transport the excess heat that the Peltier cooler itself generates out of the centre console, because otherwise it will just heat up the inside of the centre console more and gradually reduce its own effectiveness. Probably the best way to do this is indeed to mount a fan onto the Peltier device... and then connect it airtight to a plastic hose... then cut a small hole in the centre console itself between the compartment and the ashtray through which the hot air can escape. Maybe make it look neat with some sort of bezel or mesh...

And lastly, there would be the question of how you control the Peltier cooler, so that it doesn't "freeze up" when it gets too cold, especially if a cooling fan is connected whose bearings might be damaged... so therefore, some sort of thermostat would have to be fitted.

So in other words, loads of things to consider here... a true engineering challenge, but I promise I will try to develop this idea to a point where it's actually doable and has the desired effect of providing a working, trouble-free beverage cooler ;)

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sat May 24, 2014 8:21 pm

MGF74, this is indeed a very interesting modding idea! Looking forward to reading more about your proceedings.

As to the temperature problem inside the centre console, I doubt that there will be heat coming in from the engine compartment. The tunnel is sealed off by a plate and that one is very tight. Anyone who's ever had to change a snapped gear cable can tell :lol:

BUT ... the feed and return lines for the heater matrix are routed through the centre tunnel below the console as well, and from experience (ouch!) these kind of serve as an additional heating. Therefore, when reading about your idea my first concern was "will a peltier element add more heat to this area and how to dispose of it?"

My very loose thoughts would circle around a forced draft inside the centre console. Possibly using a fan at the front and some escape grille at the back, but I haven't got the faintest idea yet how this could be set up.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, I saw those feed and return lines, and wasn't quite sure what they were.

So yes, another, or rather a different heat source to consider.

But instead of trying to reduce the heat inside the centre console, maybe it is just a matter of proper insulation of the armrest compartment. If you get that right, then a Peltier element should be able to do its job, regardless.

Some of the more expensive Peltier elements I've seen online can do temperature differences of up to 97ºK. So even if it's 70ºC inside the centre console, you would at least theoretically be able to achieve a temperature of -27ºC on the cold side of the Peltier.

The heater hoses could also be made to give off less heat by putting foam tube wraps around them. Perhaps that's the best idea even.

I'm sure that if you manage to resolve the heat insulation issue, this mod is actually not difficult at all. Given the small size of the armrest compartment, you should be able to cool it quite well. Yes, being that you can only just about fit one lemonade can and a biscuit bar or two in it, the question is if it's worth the bother trying to cool it... but to me it's almost more about the feat itself... :)

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sat May 24, 2014 11:02 pm

We took Lynns F for an MOT after being SORN for the last 2 years & it passed :thumbsu: just got an advisory on the front shocks a they have a slight seepage of oil the good news is it is now back on the road just need to source a couple of replacements.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:10 pm

MGF74 wrote:Yes, I saw those feed and return lines, and wasn't quite sure what they were.

So yes, another, or rather a different heat source to consider.

But instead of trying to reduce the heat inside the centre console, maybe it is just a matter of proper insulation of the armrest compartment. If you get that right, then a Peltier element should be able to do its job, regardless.

Some of the more expensive Peltier elements I've seen online can do temperature differences of up to 97ºK. So even if it's 70ºC inside the centre console, you would at least theoretically be able to achieve a temperature of -27ºC on the cold side of the Peltier.

The heater hoses could also be made to give off less heat by putting foam tube wraps around them. Perhaps that's the best idea even.

I'm sure that if you manage to resolve the heat insulation issue, this mod is actually not difficult at all. Given the small size of the armrest compartment, you should be able to cool it quite well. Yes, being that you can only just about fit one lemonade can and a biscuit bar or two in it, the question is if it's worth the bother trying to cool it... but to me it's almost more about the feat itself... :)

the void under my arm rest and as far as i can is filled with loft insulation, my cubby box no longer gets hot inside and melts my sweets.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 25, 2014 9:52 am

Darrenbrown507 wrote:
Bosworthian wrote:Tidied the rear bumper up by fitting wire mesh to conceal heat shield and gave the engine bay a bit of a clean.
How did you attach the mesh?.
When I remeshed my side intakes I used mastic as a glue as I didn't have any sikiflex/tiger seal open - still firm after four years so may do the same if ever I get around to replacing the mesh in the front bumper and do the same as Bosworthian to the rear, I also have an old chrome kitchen bin that will become a heat shield cover if it survives Mrs TCs regular "why have you kept that" every time she goes in the shed to get her gardening gear.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 25, 2014 10:11 am

Yesterday I dropped the F off at MJS for a MOT on Wednesday. First time she's been off the drive since July so I had to go the long way, 40 miles of mostly country lanes and half with the roof down reminds me why we have the car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

etchacan
Model of Car: MGF Wedgewood SE

Post by etchacan » Sun May 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Today, a new nearside rear hub bearing fitted, and a pair of rear discs (best you don't ask why I had to fit the discs!!!) In the past week, a plasma dial kit, and some new floor mat retaining clips.
2000 MGF SE Wedgewood

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Post by Db09 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi
Took mo (MGF)to world super bikes at donington yesterday . Rained all the way in the morning kept us dry .
Coming home sun out so top down good trip he did not miss a beat.
This morning gave him a good clean did all door sides, in front bonnet area,boot area and cleaned alloys .
Removed after market gear knob for mg one .

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Mon May 26, 2014 4:51 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Today I de-blinged the interior, returning it to exactly as it left the factory:

Kinda lovin' it to be honest- got new old stock seat covers to be fitted, been let down by the trimmers this weekend but they'll be fitted next weekend.

27 pieces of wood and chrome removed today, just gonna go out for spin and check everything still works.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon May 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Miscounted, 31 bling bits! And the steering wheel makes 32
Stuart

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

purplebargeken
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by purplebargeken » Mon May 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Thing is now Stuart, what the heck are you going to do with the spare bling??
1965 Volvo 'Amazon', TR7 powered Triumph Toledo, Triumph 1500 FWD and a modern 1.6 Beetle. My name is Ken and I am a caraholic. There is no cure. Thankfully!

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon May 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Polish it all and put it back I guess. Gonna leave it just as it is for a bit, all went in without any dramas, 'cept I need a new passenger side exterior door handle, just nipped it too tight and broke the retaining thread :cry:
Stuart