what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by Mike H » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Took the TF for a late afternoon blat in the warm October sunshine :)

Perfick
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

etchacan
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Wedgewood SE

Post by etchacan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:22 pm

I blew the head gasket on my MGF today. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?!!
2000 MGF SE Wedgewood

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Received some new shiny battery terminals, not sure if I will have time to fit them today though.

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Post by Db09 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Took mo to local garage today
90,000 service
Two new front tyres
Tracking
New wiper motor and linkages
All for the sum of 370.00
Also advised that rear brake pipes need attention (that's next month )
Mo has cost us 500.00 over the last couple of months we only paid 750.00 for him
Last week we nearly px ed mo for a TF .
But we like mo so we are going to put the cash into mo
I know I will not get all the money back we put into mo but we are going to get a second car for the winter so when it snows we can use other car .
Seems daft but we have both become attached to mo it going to be a labour of love but when mo is done it will be another mgf on the road .

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Cleaned the Lucas spade terminal and connection on the solonoid so "Blue 33" will start once more. Putt eh MGF Register roundal in the top left of the windscreen and the little round tick ones in the side windows then of course was the painful bit buying 12 months Road Fund Licence :cry: .

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Gold plated battery terminals fitted

etchacan
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF Wedgewood SE

Post by etchacan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Changed the blown head gasket out on my Wedgewood this weekend - old gasket was the original elastomer type, which was changed for a MLS type. Fairly straightforward job - bit more access to the timing belt on an MGF than most FWD hatches! Job all buttoned up, new coolant in, and a good test drive. Now for 2 weeks of staring at the temperature gauge!!
2000 MGF SE Wedgewood

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Sat on the A1 for 2 hours and travelled about 12 miles before I gave up and went home

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Got on with a bit more stripping of the VVC donor. Ye Olde Dragon is moaning about it sitting on the side of the drive way :oops: so removed the temp fitted steering column, heater intake box, complete heater unit, servoe with brake master cylinder, brake actuating bar and bracket. Then is was remove the soaking wet insulation to teh bulk head and then the steel bulk head cover cut open the mebrame and start to remove tank. Got teh hoses to the pupm off, pump itself out and the filler neck loose. Straps undone but cannot get the last fule lines off the tank and cannot get tank out. So bolt cover plate for pump back on to stop any rain getting and will have another look tomorrow in daylight.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Soldered some connectors to standard mk2 tweeters ready to install in my mk1.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Was just looking for my old crossovers and realised I left them in my old car...doh!!
Better get the soldering iron out again!

dansrockin
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mk2 1.8mpi

Post by dansrockin » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:34 pm

today i have fitted a new battery, i got a lion 075 from ECP for £39.99 (half price) with 60ah and 520 cca, which is much better than the 063 battery with 45ah and 380cca that was in there. i thought the lazy starting i had was down to the starter motor being on its way out, but with this battery it fires up quickly first turn of the key!
i also siliconed up the heater box in the passenger footwell and took out all the under carpet insulation as it was soaking wet. hopefully the silicone will sort the leak, and my car will no longer resemble a swimming pool inside!!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 am

Found then cleaned up the spare N/S/F hub then dropped it with the new bearing kit over to the garage. Asked him to remove the top ball joint as well so a new one can be fitted. Now just wait for teh call to go and collect it.

alect
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by alect » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:49 pm

I took the Abingdon out for a last run in the sunshine on Sunday, it is now laid up for the winter on axle stands so I can attend to some of the 16 years worth of neglect.
Finally all jacked up and wheels off
Finally all jacked up and wheels off
When I first drove the car I knew that a brake overhaul was imminent, so over the past few weeks I have collected some new parts, 2 new front brake calipers and some Brembo discs, 4 new stainless steel brake hoses and a new set of rear pads, the rear calipers seem to work very well, the handbrake action is good. Now the car is up in the air and I can see underneath its apparent that the exhaust front pipe is heavily corroded and the gear change cable ends are very badly worn which accounts for the sloppy gear change so more parts are going to have to be ordered.
I am no mechanic so I will be taking these jobs slowly and one corner at a time.

alect

Post by alect » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Had a couple of hours to spare after raising the car up, and its not too cold so decided to press on, getting a front disc off cant be too difficault, or can it!
The bolts holding the caliper were so tight but gave eventually, the disc screws were having none of it so I drilled the heads off, the discs eventually gave way using the disc removing method I found on the T Bar.

Thats enough for me today.
This is an ugly sight
This is an ugly sight
No wonder the brakes on this F are no good
No wonder the brakes on this F are no good
16 year old caliper going to the bin
16 year old caliper going to the bin
If you are going to do any work under an MGF you need one of these
If you are going to do any work under an MGF you need one of these

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Working my way through the winter job list. O/S headlight replaced with one that seems in better nick than the one that was an MOT advisory last year. Replaced the front indicator units with replacements that have the retaining clips intact. USB socket installed in passenger foot well area to power the sat nav, phone etc. Nearly completed installing the electronic boot release sourced from eBay. Next job is new Cat to try and sort out the emissions - not looking forward to that job!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:59 pm

alect wrote:Had a couple of hours to spare after raising the car up, and its not too cold so decided to press on, getting a front disc off cant be too difficault, or can it!
The bolts holding the caliper were so tight but gave eventually, the disc screws were having none of it so I drilled the heads off, the discs eventually gave way using the disc removing method I found on the T Bar.

Thats enough for me today.
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
Ahhh those discs were very similar to those I took off mine:-

Oh dear these were the rears:-

I am surprised it passed it's test back in February with these fitted. This is how they should look:-

which they do now ................. replacements being fitted:-

Those discs had been laying about a while as they came off my donor car. But as they had virtually no wear they were cleaned then fitted with new Pagid pads:-

they work well :D .

RU58ALL
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: TF 135 / F Trophy

Post by RU58ALL » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Removed hardtop, removed existing soft top and frame, fitted new soft top with HRW. Also fitted new T-Bar speakers.
The Home of Tif the TF & the as yet un-named 827SLi

Helsbyman
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 pm

I fitted a new fuel filter as the old one had done 17k mls and the book says change at 20k. One small hick up, nuts are 14mm on the line union and had to look for a 14mm spanner which was not part of any of my spanner sets.The other spanner is 19mm which is needed. Filter from eurocars £5:50 p/p free
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

alect

Post by alect » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:01 pm

The Abingdon remains tucked away in the garage on axle stands where it will likely stay until the spring so no real hurry to get on with the long overdue brake overhaul, any way a day off today so might as well press on, firstly I had to deal with the remains of brake disc retaining screw that were stuck so I had to drill the heads off, luckily I managed to remove the stubs by drilling through with a small diameter drill and then opening out with a larger one, once that was done I could poke out the remains, leaving the threads intact.
Threads undamaged thank heavens for that
Threads undamaged thank heavens for that
Next step was the remove the wheel arch liner as I want to change the brake hoses for stainless steel, and I cant see where they go.
No corrosion here so thats blessing
No corrosion here so thats blessing
On with the new disc and caliper
what an improvement, maybe this car will stop now
what an improvement, maybe this car will stop now
Connected up the new brake hose, bit of a fiddle getting to the connection behind the ABS unit, and then refitted the wheel arch liner
all back in place, I need to add a small nut bolt to my home made bracket
all back in place, I need to add a small nut bolt to my home made bracket
The front hoses came with a P clip supposedly to attach to the shock absorber mounting, but they are quite unsuitable so I have made a small bracket out of aluminium and wiil bolt the P clip to that when I have found a couple of suitable bolts.
Well thats one corner more or less done. three more to go