what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by John SS » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:01 pm

scruffygit wrote:
They look great. Do they fit the Mk 2 'F as well? How are they fixed in place please?
Thanks,
John
Hi John. My F is a Mk1 with Mk2 door cards so they will fit.
I basically followed this from the T-Bar forum.
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf ... -75-chrome
I struggled to find glue that would do the job though. Mine are fixed using adhesive that is in strip form and a bit like plasticine! Not sure what it's called but Mike Satur supplies it on his alloy speaker surround kit for the F.
It has the advantage of allowing you to remove the trims without damage should need to take the door card off. I purchased a couple of strips from Mike Satur for £3.90 delivered and it works well.
Scruffy
Many thanks Scruffy. Just got to find some surrounds now!

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:22 am

Don't the Rover 75 door handle surrounds fit?? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they do although I have not tried this myself.

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:14 am

Don't the Rover 75 door handle surrounds fit?? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they do although I have not tried this myself.
Yes they do with a bit of fiddling about.....that's what the how to on T-Bar is relating to.

fatbaldingoldgit
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Washed and hoovered for the South Downs Run tomorrow..

http://www.wsmgoc.co.uk/page5.html

:D
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Refitted my original fuel pump which had been substituted by another in a previous attempt at fixing a cutting out and starting problem. The pump never fixed it but it did cause an intermittent fuel guage problem. So Im hoping the my guage will behave now.

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Yesterday got Lill's nose up in the air on axle stands. Front wheels off, wheel arch liners out on both sides.
IMG_20150908_180739_1.jpg
All in readiness for the fitting of new front discs, pads, stainless hoses, refurbished calipers and new shocks.
With the liners out there are a few small rust patches that need some attention so that will have to be dealt with as well.
There's a definite mud trap behind the liner on the trailing edge of the wheel arch at the front of the sill. All the muck trapped here was dry luckily so the rust is just very minor surface stuff. Fertan rust inhibitor, white smoothrite and lots of Waxoyl should get it sorted.
The liner also rubs against a few places under the arch and also where it is attached to the front subframe. Over the years the paint etc gets damaged and causes surface rust. Again I'm lucky not too much of a problem on LillyRoo. There's also some evidence of surface rust starting on some of the spot welds. It does tend to show up a lot more on a white car, but I'm pleasently surprised how well she's preserved for a nigh on 18 year old gal!
IMG_20150908_170918.jpg
IMG_20150908_180547.jpg

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:12 pm

well this weekend iv fitted drilled and grooved front discs and replaced some of the bulbs in the boot brake light as 3 were out.

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 pm

Almost finished the front drivers side. New shocks, pads,upper ball joint, stainless braids hose, drop links,track rod end, grooved etc discs and refurbed calipers. Treated and Waxoyled wheel arch and into the sill as well. Just 3 more corners to go!

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Today was swapsies day on the Wedgewood Steppy: first replaced the rear discs and pads (fronts had been done two months earlier), then used the new vacuum pump I got for my birthday to suck out the old brake fluid and replace it with some new stuff. What came out looked like a well brewed cuppa tea, without milk or sugar. 8-)

Whilst the back end was still on axle stands, I managed to get under the car to attack a problem with the starter motor. Last week, I had the annoying experience of a starter failure at the petrol station. I managed to sort it out with some help from the fuel delivery driver, who happened to just the right piece of thick wire to reach down to the solenoid wire from above. So today I removed the connector, gave it a good shot of WD40 and used a pair of pliers to beef it up again, then refitted it. I do hope this has cured the problem.

Rear wheels back on, then marching up to the front. Both shock absorbers showed excessive play in the top mounts, the n/s one’s mounting nut literally jumping up about 5 mm under load. So I got a new pair (OEM Monroes) and replaced the old ones. Which was the usual PITA, as the nut wouldn't come off, not even with a power tool. So out comes the angle grinder and a quick cut into the thread is sufficient to convince the nut to give in. As an extra, I replaced the fixing bolts for the horns and the fusebox (which had to come off to make way for the grinder) with stainless.

I’m off for a quick test drive now but the 2 kms home from the shed were quite impressive.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:14 pm

My son and I took the wings, bonnet and bumper off the free F and started fitting replacments in better condition.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:34 am

On the weekend we headed off to my father's house to watch the rugby league grand final on his big TV.

We were a touch late and we were bring dinner, so I gave the F some real wellie through the local back streets.
Covered the 15 km trip in around half the time the GPS suggests it should take.

These truly are magnificent little cars.
And the hot chickens were kept nice and warm in the boot, great having a big heater underneath.

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Oooh Robbo, don't mention the War -err- that game here. 8-) :mrgreen: :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:28 pm

Finally finished both front corners of Lill'.......well almost!
IMG_20151004_113529.jpg
Ended up replacing upper and lower ball joints, refurbishing the calipers and carriers and fitting new pads. New braided hoses with some home made brackets to stop them from snagging. New track rod ends, KYB Excel G gas shocks and Mtech drilled and grooved discs. Also replaced the naff and rusty self tappers and the clip things they screw into, that hold the wheel arch liners in place. If anybody is interested nice stainless dome head allen screws and matching threaded clips are available on Fleabay. They're intended for fixing motorbike fairings I think but work well on the MGF.
IMG_20151011_120254.jpg
Then because I'm a glutton for punishment I decided that there was no way the wheels could go back without a refurb! The faces are actually pretty good with only minor marking but the rear of the wheels are awful with the silver sparkle finish flaking badly and lots of corrosion taking hold.
So I've made a start on the 2 front alloys!
IMG_20151011_120423.jpg
IMG_20151011_120340.jpg

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Now finally finished the front two corners. Pleased with how the wheel refurb has turned out
IMG_20151017_151157.jpg
The silver sparkle is a really good match to the original silver sparkle MG centre caps.
IMG_20151017_151136.jpg
Replaced the plastic pretend allen bolts with some stainless M4 10mm ones and suitable washers...£1.30 for 20 bolts on ebay inc post!
They kind of screw into the vacated holes but I put a tiny dab of araldite on the end of each one to ensure they stayed in place.
IMG_20151017_151215.jpg

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Looking good, the chromed allan bolts make a big difference to their appearance, do you have a link?

Also do you have alink for those wheel nuts?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:57 am

These are the M4 Allens
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181716872455? ... EBIDX%3AIT

These are the wheel nuts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361178578355? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Under the Allens I used a small stainless washer....think it was M5 as it fitted in the recess nicely and finished it all off.

Trunkster

Post by Trunkster » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:38 pm

New fabric roof with heated glass window. Oil and filter change. Got fog lights and cigar lighter working.

gerry.laing
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MG TF 85th

Post by gerry.laing » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Re: trimmed the hardtop headlining simple job to do but gives great results, ready to fit when winter arrives :thumbsu:

scruffygit

Post by scruffygit » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Finished off painting my refurbished rear calipers.
IMG_20151024_155556.jpg

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Clocks back, Softop off, HardTop on and Winter Tyres albeit Wheels/tyres changed a couple of weeks ago when new rear discs and pads fitted.
Geoff F.