what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by RSR92 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 am

Also what's the price? I'd rather pay £15 and fiddle than pay like £40 for a cubby box, I'm young and poor
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

jamescj
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF MkI (1995)

Post by jamescj » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 pm

c13amb wrote:
jamescj wrote:Hi all

The cubby hole thingy is from a chap on Facebook - see below - very nice and a clean fit.

The ZR cubby holes listed on eBay won't fit without fiddling - these are made to measure.

HTH

Christopher
Not everyone does "bookface" Chris does he have a website??
I'm not sure - I'm afraid I found him through Bookface. I quick google on his name might do the trick? Best of luck.
Proud owner of Sep 1995 Amaranth MGF Mk 1 - #29 off the production line - used to belong to MG/Rover

jamescj

Post by jamescj » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 pm

RSR92 wrote:Also what's the price? I'd rather pay £15 and fiddle than pay like £40 for a cubby box, I'm young and poor
To be honest can't remember but it will be closer to the £40 for sure. You would have to cut a hole in the back of the ZR ones as they are too deep and foul the cross member. So it would not be pretty. Doable (some how tos out there) but not neat.

Best of luck.
Proud owner of Sep 1995 Amaranth MGF Mk 1 - #29 off the production line - used to belong to MG/Rover

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 pm

jamescj wrote:
RSR92 wrote:Also what's the price? I'd rather pay £15 and fiddle than pay like £40 for a cubby box, I'm young and poor
To be honest can't remember but it will be closer to the £40 for sure. You would have to cut a hole in the back of the ZR ones as they are too deep and foul the cross member. So it would not be pretty. Doable (some how tos out there) but not neat.

Best of luck.
I thought it was a lot easier than that to be honest, sounds like a lot of hassle maybe something to think about later down the line for me
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 pm

There's a chap on facebook who sells a direct fit pockets, the mgf place in Burton on Trent sells them too, sorry there name has escaped me

jamescj

Post by jamescj » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:31 pm

daz wrote:There's a chap on facebook who sells a direct fit pockets, the mgf place in Burton on Trent sells them too, sorry there name has escaped me
That's the chap I'm talking about. I posted his name. Direct fit.

jamescj

Post by jamescj » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 pm

RSR92 wrote:
jamescj wrote:

Best of luck.
I thought it was a lot easier than that to be honest, sounds like a lot of hassle maybe something to think about later down the line for me
The hassle is if you try and fiddle with ZR one - it won't fit unless you hack it - the one I bought has been mounded to fit and fits like a glove (* although you do have to cut out the retaining bracket which is in the way. )

Best

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

Is the company in Burton on Trent called MG Obsession?
Any links to it or the item bought from them??
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

jamescj

Post by jamescj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 am

It's Paul Jakabi Goldsmith - I only have I'd Facebook contact I am afraid though.

Best

X10GWR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by X10GWR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Discovered major dampness on passenger's side with condensation on the A/C evaporator. Seems to be the drain pipe from the evaporator is ineffective (will not open to discharge water when full). Rectified this by inserting a small piece of silicone tubing. Taken 5 days to dry out the carpets and two days dealing with the rust caused by this problem over a long period of time.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 pm

X10GWR wrote:Discovered major dampness on passenger's side with condensation on the A/C evaporator. Seems to be the drain pipe from the evaporator is ineffective (will not open to discharge water when full). Rectified this by inserting a small piece of silicone tubing. Taken 5 days to dry out the carpets and two days dealing with the rust caused by this problem over a long period of time.
Been there, done that. We drove down to a MGCC Switzerland meet. By the end of the week, you could paddle in the passenger's footwell. For the Sunday Park Up and Concours, carpets were draped over the car.
The evaporator drain pipe is easy to remove, clean and refit. It has a lip seal to prevent road water entering the car.
Geoff.F

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Removed HID lights and retro fitted candle lights to my F! (one of the HID's stopped working after 10years)
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

hammond
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Post by hammond » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Fitted new red trophy style steering wheel and spray painted passenger air bag blanking plate red.

ImageUntitled by Steve Butcher, on Flickr

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Primed my exhaust tips ready for the nice shiny purple paint.

I just used a high zinc content primer good for up to 300c, less than a tenner from the bay of E's. Just got to do a few more coats to remove the pitting then sand it all back flat ready for the actual colour

However I think mikes new nipples may delay the exhaust work for another month or two. Ride quality currently is more of an issue than the knackered cat for me
Attachments
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG

Gedge
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Gedge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Yesterday I had a sudden overheat and lost a bit of coolant out of the expansion bottle ...after cooling I set about refilling and bleeding the system.fiund the heater matrix empty and air locked..car is running fine so fingers crossed thats all it was...have done 2 decent drives since with no trouble and coolant has stayed put....so today I concentrated on getting the front wheels off ( not as easy as it should be!!!) , they got cleaned inside and out and then coppaslipped back..while wheels were off wire brushed the bits of subframe, wishbones etc that I could reach..treated them with rust cure ready for painting in the near future ...car starting to look about right after having dented wing and bonnet resprayed...next up, the nose cone and wheels so as long as engine behaves that should be next week ....

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:05 pm

fitted my lolarm (Thanks Alan) & went out for a blast while the sun is out.
20170924_143123.jpg

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Fitted new Gaz adjustable shocks. Good thing I did as at least one of the rear ones was about to give up the ghost completely. Somewhat frustratingly the car is SORN'd for the winter so the road test will have to wait until the spring.
New alloy radiator next.
Knackered rear shock.JPG

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: RE: Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by ashleyfrazer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm

John SS wrote:Fitted new Gaz adjustable shocks. Good thing I did as at least one of the rear ones was about to give up the ghost completely. Somewhat frustratingly the car is SORN'd for the winter so the road test will have to wait until the spring.
New alloy radiator next.
Knackered rear shock.JPG
Passed my mot or at least the car did. Two advisories on front tyres but not news. Also oil and filter, new wiper blades, some underseal work, replacement clutch fluid (pedal was sticky and then springing up. Now it's like when I bought it) new radiator (old one was losing the fins to rust so I regarded as preventative maintenance), coolant and antifreeze.

We could not fit the CD changer to the boot. I got one that goes with the CD3 single CD in the car as fitted to BMW Z3. However I seems the BMW has a power supply in the boot which the MG doesn't. My conclusion is that the MG never came with a changer and CD43 radio. If you know different let me know. We could of got a power cable run to the boot but it's a pain. I do have the data cable between the changer and the head unit.

Got home to the demand for the tax from the government. Sigh.

Ash

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Moved my TF doors from work to my sons so he can strip the internals to the rust free doors going on the mk1 MPi, only been there since January.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: RE: Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:03 am

ashleyfrazer wrote:......We could not fit the CD changer to the boot. I got one that goes with the CD3 single CD in the car as fitted to BMW Z3. However I seems the BMW has a power supply in the boot which the MG doesn't. My conclusion is that the MG never came with a changer and CD43 radio. If you know different let me know. We could of got a power cable run to the boot but it's a pain. I do have the data cable between the changer and the head unit..........
My autochanger is behind the drivers seat, I got a 6 disc changer as it's thinner, and we're both quite short.
Behind the passenger seat we have a Kenwood under seat active amp to give us a bit of bass.
I slipped a bit of hardboard behind the carpet to attach them too, don't drill into the bulkhead (fuel tank!)
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com