what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mac jones
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by mac jones » Mon May 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I have a MGTF,1997 i have just bought. there is a loud squeeking coming from the rear passenger side wheel. i have stripped the brake caliper,cleaned,copper greased and the brake pad have at least half the pad left but hasnt made any difference. The noise turns with the wheel and doesnt sould like a bearing noise.hand brake returning as it should dont think the tyres rubbing, please get in touch so i can fix it ,many thanks.back out today to have another try.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon May 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Mac, first of all you will have an MGF as it's a 1997 but it makes no difference, the brake operation is the same.

There is a pad wear indicator that gives off a scraping sound when the pads wear down. You say brake pad, just checking, have you removed and checked the inner and the outer pads ?

Get someone to operate the handbrake and make sure both pistons work and return as one may have stuck wearing out one pad and therefore giving you the sound you describe.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Tue May 31, 2016 6:39 am

Check up with the F later today :) it should be ready before the weekend as the octagon tour is on our schedule.

What did we do: new 280's at the back, new engine mount, new MOT and...... Yes! .... suspension to be sorted! The regassing programm!

More technical details regarding that will follow, but Rob's guideline has been very useful up to now!
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Tue May 31, 2016 12:55 pm

I put these on
And yes they do make a differance
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

TonyP.
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by TonyP. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Washed it and gave it a polish and went for a blast- Haven't needed to do any thing to it for months now :D which is just as well as I've had a poorly Scimitar to sort out and have just taken on a 1963 Rover P6 restoration project......

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Finally fitted a replacement N/S hub. Now got to get the handbrake cable off the old caliper so I can fit the replacement. Then on to the O/S!

cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by cococola » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Stripped front and rear brakes on my MGF de crudded the sliders and pads, copper greased and then painted all calipers red.
Very pleased with myself :D
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

scimitargtc
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by scimitargtc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 am

got wife and friend of youngest son to fit anti jam straps to soft top (i'M recovering from a stroke) all sorted

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:48 am

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Fitted genuine mg front mud flaps to the Trophy.

RSR92
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:39 am

Going to replace the engine bag coolant pipe after managing to bend and shear the bleed screw last week :oops:

My advice...when accessing the brine bleed screw just remove the top of the Airbox, avoids the scratches on your arm and the odd angle in the screw that caused me to bend it
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:41 am

scimitargtc wrote:got wife and friend of youngest son to fit anti jam straps to soft top (i'M recovering from a stroke) all sorted
Sorry to hear about this my mum suffered from a stroke a few years back, I hope you recover well.

Onto the anti jam straps I've been contemplating a set myself but wondered what you think of them so far? As pushing that bit of the frame back does get a tiny bit tiresome haha
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent

cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by cococola » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:09 pm

I have been a busy boy today taking advantage of a day off.

1.I have replaced the light and wiper stalks with the shorter freelander ones purchased off ebay for £12.
2.Replaced the rear bumper mesh with the more attractive pattern.
3.Fitted some small spotlamps into the front bumper just under the indicators...very pretty off ebay £10 brand new.
4.Removed the panel on the left side of the dashboard and made a smart cubby hole within the dashboard from mgf boot mat material and cutting a hole into the blanking cover that usually goes there.
5.Carpeted out the storage box under the armrest again using the boot carpet material.

so overall a very satisfying days work of enhancements.
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 am

Fitted BMW Angel Eyes headlamps, wired it differently by adding two extra relays so they go off when the headlights are on. Added an extra non ignition switch so I can flick them on and off when I want to.

Fitted MG puddle lights.

Moved the red warning light from the lo-level water warning to inside the speedo housing using an unused space.

Finally changed the centre console to get rid of the old scratched one.

robs12

Post by robs12 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Fitted a K&N filter, then went for a blast with a big grin on my face...! :D

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Replaced 2 wheel bearings o/s/f, o/s/r
I did this as I had a fail in 2014 on a wheel bearing and it had damaged the hub. 2016 another wheel bearing AND another hub.
Hubs are £45 ish to buy but bearings are only £13 so change bearings before they go makes sense
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Andy1
MGF Register Region: Lancashire

Post by Andy1 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Having only just picked up the f oil and filters changed, rear discs and pads replaced with the aid of a good deal of heat and a lump hammer and brake fluid replaced, still not happy with the performance of the brakes so I think the front discs and pads will have to be replaced in the next week or so.

X10GWR
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by X10GWR » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Finally got around to fixing the heater fan resistors. Relatively easy job despite having air con. Sheared off two bolts getting the snorkel off but replaced with stainless steel. I think everything now works!!

RSR92

Post by RSR92 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:19 am

I was playing around with the boot as it wasn't lined up *Just* right...a familiar situation to some I would imagine. I managed to strip the thread of the two 10mm bolts holding the bracket to the hinge resulting in a boot that was cocked on closing. So my Saturday morning entailed enlisting my girlfriends little brother to hold the boot off the bodywork while I replaced my hinge!

Not a bad job and the hinge was had for sub £10, even in the correct paint colour, which was more by luck than design as I wasn't being that fussy! Definitely a job you want a hand for even an unskilled one just to steady and support the boot lid whilst you do your faffery.

flyingbanana

Post by flyingbanana » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Had the wheels refurbished on the Trophy :)