what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

jonny69
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: freestyle

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by jonny69 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:35 pm

Must be that time of year, my cylinder has gone as well

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:01 am

I need to find some enthusiasm.....my F has always struggled with the emissions at the MOT....when it failed last year the tester thought the leaking exhaust manifold gasket was to blame but once replaced and retested it failed worse!

I have come to the conclusion that my badly adjusted throttle body is part of the problem and have tried to adjust it but to no avail. I have sourced a new one, which has been waiting for me to fit for several months. Apart form the New Years Day bank holiday, when I always take my wife out for a "clear the cobwebs" walk along Beachy Head, today was the first dry weekend day when I have been at home. I stepped outside to "do it" and realised how darn cold it was so went to Lidl instead! Bottle job or what....
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:06 am

Oh, and I need to get her running as
a) I want to do FRL in February and
b) my wife wants to do Scotland in June.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Post by EllsoJo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 am

talkingcars wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:06 am
my wife wants to do Scotland in June.
You said:
" my wife wants to do Scotland in June."

Scotland can be a Joy at any time of year, but in my experience, a June trip risks the dreaded midges, whereas April or May (usually!) means that you are there BEFORE they are out. Weather MIGHT be more of a risk, but 10-day weather forecasts IMO are a lot more reliable, and APPS on your Smartphone mean you can see what weather is (probably) coming and re-plan accordingly.

Whatever you decide, ENJOY (& pack the insect repellent!

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I am kinda tied to time off in June and in my experience midges are worse later on in the summer. Both my parents were Scottish so I've had many trips over the years. Over the last decade we have been driving south in the F, Monaco, Verona, Rome, Naples and then flying Sicily twice, Minorca.

Back on theme - yesterday I had a couple of hours of day light to play with so got the old throttle body off but managed to pull the lower breather pipe off where every it goes at the other end which means taking off the engine cover to relocate, particularly frustrating as I managed to do this the last time I changed the throttle body, and as it was getting very cold and dark I gave up for the day.

jonny69

Post by jonny69 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm

Got the time and weather to change the clutch slave cylinder. Easy enough to do, used a vacuum bleeder to bleed it. Back on the road now 😁

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:22 am

I fitted a complete Mike Satur Polybush kit to the front end. New vertical links, ARB brackets and rubbers and of course the bushes in the lower arms.

A bit of a pain to fit, but the front of the car feels fantastic to drive.

Sorry not many good pics.
lower arms.jpg

Gave the bits a spray of paint so they last another 22 years.

Doing the rear end next month.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:34 am

mgtfnut wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:16 pm
That 8mm bolt on the cam belt inner cover and the water pump is the hardest part of the whole operation for me :roll:
water pump bolt.jpg

After installing my water pump I was left with a bolt left over, you guessed it, the 8 mm one at the back!

You can see the ring spanner on it if you look hard enough; with the shiny new water pump installed.

Leeaw85
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Leeaw85 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:52 pm

Have owned my little T reg MGF since mid December - 1st time owning one and loving it!!

Yesterday, I towed it for the first time after the engine cut out at 50mph on a dual carriageway :roll:

jonny69

Post by jonny69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Leeaw85 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:52 pm
Have owned my little T reg MGF since mid December - 1st time owning one and loving it!!

Yesterday, I towed it for the first time after the engine cut out at 50mph on a dual carriageway :roll:
Hope you have it sorted now

Leeaw85
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Leeaw85 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 am

jonny69 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 pm
Leeaw85 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:52 pm

Hope you have it sorted now
Got it home, and following plenty of the guides on here have come to the conclusion it is indeed the fuel pump.

Tested the relay, all seemed fine with continuity and resistance tests. Fitted the spare one (that was in the boot) still the same - a no go go.

Bypassed inertia switch, with both relays, and still no go go.

Chopped more ground cables from pump connector to body, still the same...

Grabbed my multi meter, found the longer probe leads I have, and 11.9V on the white wire when I turn ignition.

Pump ordered, came in the post, got everything ready....have to hole while I await delivery of fuel pump locking ring removal tool, d'oh!!

Gman1
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Gman1 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:53 pm

Bit of a mixed day really:

1. Unplugged the exhaust actuator. Gives the exhaust a bit of a beefier tone but surprised that it was a tad intrusive in the cockpit more than I expected. I'll see how I get on over the next few days.
2. Wipers making a strange noise so watched a few vids and cleaned the motor and lubricated the wiper joints. No change so thinking I may have to get a complete second hand unit.
3. Got my water temp mis-reading. It warms up fine then after 10mins will drop back only to head back up again to the norm. It"ll do that occasionally during a run. Car running fine, coolant etc ok so thinking it's a senor issue. Got an OBD reader so that may point me in the right direction !

Ho hum...

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:23 pm

No 3 is definitely the gauge (blue or black) sender unit failing - a cheap and easy fix by replacement.

Gman1

Post by Gman1 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:20 pm

Thanks Charles - is there a how to re sender replacement do you know? :)

Charless

Post by Charless » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:04 pm

You could stick 'gauge sender replacement' into the archive window (top right hand window in the phpBB banner) and search.
The procedure is very simple with a cold engine.
http://www.mgfcar.de/sensor/gauge_dcp_3953.JPG
Remove engine access panel.
Remove expansion tank cap to lose any residual pressure then screw it back on. (to minimise fluid loss later)
Locate the old unit and disconnect the loom connector. (front left of cylinder head, should be pointing down from metal elbow see pic above)
Have the new one ready before removing the old (to minimise fluid loss)
A19mm short flat/ring spanner helps - there ain't a lot of room in there!
When you swap over the old and new try to minimise fluid loss and the possibility of air getting in - you won't then need to re bleed the system.
Screw in the new one and reconnect to the loom.
I suggest you start her up and make sure there are no leaks and that the new sender drives the gauge before putting the access panel back on.
If you ever need to know anything MGF, Dieter's website (link above) is most comprehensive also Rob Bell's:-
http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/
Between them they know everything! Good luck!

Gman1

Post by Gman1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Thanks Charles.

Got a bit of a maintenance 101 situation. Changing wiper motor and new set up now installed. However I'm trying to replace the retaining nut on the wiper spindles but don't have enough thread to get a bite. Am I right that both the rubber ring and washer sit directly underneath the nut? Should have taken a photo before disassembly I know :roll:

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Mine don't have a 'rubber ring' above the wiper arm. I could perhaps see a point in having rubber below, but if I was you I'd leave it out altogether.
It might also be that the arm needs tapping further onto the splines. Once the park position has been established, pivot the arm off the screen when finally doing up the nut.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:15 pm

Charless wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:23 pm
No 3 is definitely the gauge (blue or black) sender unit failing - a cheap and easy fix by replacement.
but is it?
It can also be an indicator of a problem with a water pump.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:30 pm

Went out for a run in the MGF yesterday. All good. Parked back at the house while I unloaded some shopping and then intended to put the car away. Key in, all lights on, no starter. Managed to roll it backwards & bump it and it started fine. Put it back in the garage, checked the battery, OK, but put it on smart charge overnight anyway. This morning charger showing green, so nothing amiss there, but nothing on the key when starting. Opened the boot, removed the grille and accessed the starter motor solenoid. Fiddled about with the spade connector and the wire that goes to the alternator. Started. Well, perhaps I need to check both again thoroughly but at least it's mobile again, and I don't have to shell out for another motor! Happy days.

Sunny here 21°C. Perfik!

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:19 pm

Got my car out of the garage where its stored and brought it home for the first time in 3 years. Just made it to the garage for fuel (I keep a log for fuel which is why I know its 3 years) with the needle in the red.

Spent a happy afternoon washing, polishing and waxing. I need to take 6 photos to try and agree the value with the new insurance I took out.

Next week the paint chip man is due and I the auto audio engineer so we can try and modenise the cd43 radio.

Picture is favourite side complete with chips.

Thanks to Nigel for inspiring me to get the MGF back on the road in a conversation at Stoneleigh.

Ash
20230415_185211.jpg
Sent from my S22 Ultra using Tapatalk