what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by hammond » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am

Fitted chrome windscreen jets and some Lexus style rear lights. Both look very impressive :thumbsu:

Mike H
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Collected it from where it lives and drove it home in readiness to drive it to Wilcox this evening for it's annual service and MOT.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

hammond

Post by hammond » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:34 pm

New chrome rims for clock/oil dials on centre console
New 'black' side indicators
New red/black seats :thumbsu:

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 am

Filled it with petrol and sent my wife off in it to a town 120 miles away. Reminded her to check coolant level before returning but she didn't.
Car ( and wife ) returned home safely next evening after a thoroughly great drive, refilled tank and calculated 377 km round trip at 6.8 litres/100 km.

Expected to be in good books as car performed perfectly and I built it, but sadly was still in the bad books because I sent her a text while she was tearing down the motorway and she couldn't safely type an answer.

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:46 am

Fixed the leaky exhaust/cat joint, repositioned the wipers so they park properly and fitted new wiper blades after topping up the washer bottle. So far.....

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 am

Fitted stainless front to rear cooling water pipes.
Also fixed the flap on the driver's sun visor, the little clips were broken when I bought the car last month. Lidl had some self-adhesive Velcro buttons a few days ago. I cut the broken bits off with a knife, cut the buttons in half and fixed the hook part to the main visor and the loop part to the flap. It works, although the flap isn't quite as flat as it was.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

hammond

Post by hammond » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:57 am

Fitted rear mud flaps

Barry 2017
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by Barry 2017 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Attempted to fix a continual blowing fuse problem...found disconnected wires everywhere took stereo speaker off now won't go back on...hey ho...top down and out for drive instead.... :D

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 pm

fitted new springs, shocks, new front calipers, new pads, new wheels/tyres & exhaust

Mikeadman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:09 pm

What a difference it makes too, fantastic job without doubt well worth the effort. :D :D :D

Cheers

Mike 8-)

Barry 2017

Post by Barry 2017 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 pm

New Car Mats and some protector spray on the soft top... considering fixing an electrical issue but that can wait until another day... :)

Barry 2017

Post by Barry 2017 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Out for a run with top down...car washed...and tyres checked...left front was at 11 psi not good...thought steering felt weird...all sorted now :-)

ashcapri28

Post by ashcapri28 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:31 am

MGF CVT upgrades cold air feed using aluminium tubing with a filter located in the passenger side air vent brand new catalytic converter and a performance silencer. using a GPS app on my phone and pulling away in second gear using the paddle shift on steering wheel I have a 0 to 62 miles an hour time of 8.7 seconds weather if I pulled away in first gear the time would be quicker I don't know first gear in a CVT is a very ratio higher than a manual gearbox and its not good to full throttle a CVT gearbox knowing they can cause problems. I'm very pleased with this time as with my VVC mgf having the same modifications but with a 52mm throttle body and a 4 2 1 manifold made by scorpion the best time I got to 62 MPH was over 9 seconds due to the car boging down when releasing the clutch and the crappy gear change I did replace the gear linkage later and was much improved but still not great also the car had 90000 miles and 10 owners the CVT has one previous owner and 38000 Miles. The only thing I miss is the power at high speed on a private road the vvc would pull hard all the way to 115 ish in 4th and 5th max I ever had with roof down so not as Aerodynamic was on the clock 135 mph but would give a little more giving a long enough straight the CVT gives up at 115 MPH again roof down. But as I and most sensible drivers stick to around the speed limit this isn't a concern for me over all the CVT it's a far better Drive smoother more relaxing faster in real life driving especially round the Lanes I love it.

ashcapri28

Post by ashcapri28 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:36 am

Also I forgot to mention I have permanently removed the soft top roof saveing 24 kg. I remove the roof not because of the weight saving it was actually because without the roof there in the look of the car is much improved and I never use the roof anyway it just means going out when you know it's going to be dry the car isn't an everyday car a normal everyday car is a Jaguar with 200 horsepower but is nowhere near as fun to drive I've used to Jag once in the last six weeks it's too much pipe and slippers for me comfy luxury all the toys but boring

ashcapri28

Post by ashcapri28 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:58 am

Also for those who do not know MG only quotes 0 to 60 mph and not 0 to 62 which needs 3rd gear mg quotes a 0 to 60 time of 7 seconds for the vvc 143 hp autocar or what car I can't remember which quotes 7.6 seconds to 62 mph so I'm very pleased with the result of 8.7 seconds to 62 MPH for my cvt mgf only 1.1 seconds of a vvc . I did not try using sport Auto which holds the revs continuously at 5500 RPM as you accelerate at full throttle may try that if I do I report back

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:13 am

On Friday and yesterday I spent 3 hours stripping the O/S/F hub from the old subframe.
I then had to do hubby duties ("helping with clothes and food shopping").
Once home I had an hour before dark - impressed myself disconnecting the steering U/V at the base of the column, undoing the 2 subframe mount bolts that had been stuck (a week of plusgas must have helped) and stripped the N/S/F hub.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:13 pm

put 4 sub frame mounts on front sub frame [ mounts in s.steel with 12, 12.9 new bolts ]
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Barry 2017

Post by Barry 2017 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Fitted a new horn on a new circuit with a new button... coz easier than trying to find the dodgy connection... all working now...:-)'

smmgf51
Model of Car: MGF mk2 1.8i 2001

Post by smmgf51 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:57 pm

MGF 2001 Mpi
Track rod ends replaced as well as O/Side front lower suspension arm.
Thats the MOT sorted for this year :lol:

RSR92
Model of Car: MGF 1.8MPi MY2000

Post by RSR92 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:42 am

I put a new set of dampers on the front after recently paying to get the rears done. I'm now running Japanparts dampers all round and am pleased to say I am happy with them, the fronts are not yet properly worn in as were only fitted Monday, but as to be expected the handling and comfort is much improved over the 16 year old originals. Road holding and stability is far better and my F is now much more of a pleasure to drive with a dramatic reduction in road noise as well :D

Next up, alloy inlet manifold and 52mm T/b followed by fitting a TF backbox with the nice round pipes which I prefer over the MGF's oval pipes and perhaps a decat at the same time!
X-Reg MGF 1.8MPi in LQW: Trophy 160 Airbox, Citroen Washer Jets, Japanparts Dampers, 52mm T/B and Alloy Inlet Manifold
Pending: Replace Cat and B/B, Performance Filter element, Cold air feed from N/s vent