HGF and re-sell value

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Pete
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC '96

HGF and re-sell value

Post by Pete » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:33 am

My MGF exploded in a cloud of steam and oil a few months ago. It is now repaired with an upgraded head gasket kit, new bolts etc and I'm told it will now "never fail again". I have full receipts from a reputable dealer showing all the new parts.

I am now considering selling the car, is the HGF something I should:

(a) Advertise, as the upgraded HG will push up the value?
(b) Not mention it as it will only put buyers off?
(c) Just ignore it, no-one cares and it won't affect the value either way.....?

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Re: HGF and re-sell value

Post by Andrew Regens » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 am

Mention it, show reciepts. Be positive. When advertising say Head Gasket Done , waterpump, belt tensioner, cam belts nothing to spend just serviced.
Be realy Positve and enjoy summer motoring.
PS Resale value is crap anyway!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Chris Tideswell
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 pm

I wouldn’t say anything unless asked.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Why consider selling the car in the middle of summer and you have just spent a load of money on it ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:51 am

If you are considering selling (for your own reasons), then personally I would definately mention it - My reasoning for this is asthe buyer, you would want to know as much of the cars history as possible.

As for the resale value, it wont push it up as much as stop people haggling you down. ;) A car that age to have had the work done is very common... knowing its been done well with uprated parts will show that you care for the car, and they will be more likely to buy
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

MGF Nick
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 98 1.8i MGF

Post by MGF Nick » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:41 pm

I would show all receipts, and invoices for work carried out, and dont let the first offer be the one you take unless its what you really want for the car, there are far too many people out there who think knocking £500 off is going to be accepted, stick to you guns, if you've been correct with the advert, and not used any artistic licence, then people who come to look at it, are interested, the more info on the car the better. dont let it go to cheap, your never recover the money you've spent keeping the car running, but that dont mean you should give it away. summer IS the best time to sell, and a few nice days will soon have people thinking about going topless. :thumbsu:
MGF and sunshine = top fun!!!

WR Blue
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 mpi

Post by WR Blue » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Providing the work has been done properly and you've done a couple of thousand miles I'd mention it as a positive, as the car is less likely to go bang a second time!!

Now is the best time to sell but resale values are still totally rubbish.

Patrick
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere
Model of Car: Jaguar I Pace

Post by Patrick » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Whether to be honest or not?

Not that difficult a decision surely?

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:07 am

Interestingly in the automotive industry there is a common saying 'all buyers are liars'. Dealers have to be honest as there is so much goverment legislation plus fines, peneltys and they can loose the right to trade.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

Pete
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC '96

Post by Pete » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:33 am

Patrick wrote:Whether to be honest or not?

Not that difficult a decision surely?
It’s not a question of honesty, I was referring to whether or not it was a good thing to advertise. If someone actually came to see the car I would be happy to show them all receipts and detail all the work that has been done. I was merely asking if it’s a positive or negative selling point. It’s a shame high horses come as standard with forums.

Thank you for the other replies. I’m still debating whether or not to sell it, the problem is really down to cost, I cycle to work a lot now so don’t use the car as much as I used to and it costs me a lot to tax, insure and maintain it every year. Part of me regrets selling my Midget which cost me virtually nothing over several years of happy motoring…..

As regards selling it before the summer, look out the window! Are we going to have a summer this year??

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 am

I would keep it and enjoy summer motoring with the top down, you have some of the best MG weather comming up. Enjoy :thumbsu:

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:25 am

I would advertise "Service history available" or better still if it applies "Full service history available" this then implies that you have nothing to hide and that all routine maintenance matters can be checked to see if any thing (expensive) is due. :thumbsu:

After all the press received from our wonderful British Media I doubt that there is anyone out there that does not know that the K series engine does get more than it's fair share of head gasket problems. :shutup:

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Mark L » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Pete wrote:My MGF exploded in a cloud of steam and oil a few months ago. It is now repaired with an upgraded head gasket kit, new bolts etc and I'm told it will now "never fail again". I have full receipts from a reputable dealer showing all the new parts.

I am now considering selling the car, is the HGF something I should:

(a) Advertise, as the upgraded HG will push up the value?
(b) Not mention it as it will only put buyers off?
(c) Just ignore it, no-one cares and it won't affect the value either way.....?
As someone who has bought/sold both F and TF private I would deffo go with option 'a'....the average school boy could tell you about HGF and the 'special-K', so if you don't mention it - it will just be the first question you get asked anyway.

I would a definitely NOT put in the advert "never fail again" though....... some buyers will take this literally.