New parts still being made (?)

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

MGF74
MGF Register Region: Europe

New parts still being made (?)

Post by MGF74 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello,

I got my heated rear window switch from Rimmerbros today, and I was a bit surprised because it has the production date stamped on it as "09.01.2014".

That blows my mind a bit; sure, you would expect "wear and tear" parts like brake pads, hoses and the like to still be produced... but a heated rear window switch??

For all I know, normally parts like these for which there should only be very low demand are stockpiled at the end of a car's production and then those old supplies are gradually sold... but new ones aren't produced anymore... at least that's the way manufacturers like Audi do it (my everyday car is a 15-year-old Audi A4, for which finding certain parts can already be quite a pain).
'98 MGF 1.8i MPI (weekend/summer/fun car)
'99 Audi A4 1.8T saloon (daily driver)

mtreddie
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: VVC

Re: New parts still being made (?)

Post by mtreddie » Sat May 10, 2014 2:54 pm

You sure that's not a best before date ;-)
Nugget - 1996 VVC, BRG, lowered, Phoenix exhaust, uprated brakes, K & N filter

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm

who knows... I'll check if it smells a bit off :D

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat May 10, 2014 4:21 pm

This is probably the received from X.Part/packed date on the Rimmers Label rather than Production date as PD is only recorded on Time Expireable parts.
If in doubt. ask Rimmers.
Geoff F.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Geoff.F wrote:PD is only recorded on Time Expireable parts.
Not true anymore, we have drain covers, concrete rings and plastic pipe at work that is date stamped, the plastic even has time in hours, minutes, and seconds!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Not true anymore, we have drain covers, concrete rings and plastic pipe at work that is date stamped, the plastic even has time in hours, minutes, and seconds!
But how many of these parts are fitted on "F"s
Geoff F.

Rich in Vancouver
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by Rich in Vancouver » Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 pm

I recently bought some switches from Rimmers. The outer bags had the usual MGR "Made in the UK" labels. The switches inside had Chinese inspection tags on them. That may explain how they can still be in production. With replacement parts I'm really not to worried about where they come from as long as the quality is good.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 11, 2014 11:42 am

Geoff.F wrote:
talkingcars wrote:
But how many of these parts are fitted on "F"s
Geoff F.
Not many but the point is, that most manufactured parts, regardless of what they are, are date stamped at time of manufacture.
Even the exposed edges of the doors on my 3 year old conservatory have date/time stamps.
If you look at the back of any plastic panels on your F/TF you'll see month/year markings, and some of those parts could be designed 15 years ago, even my 1983 maestro had similar markings.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon May 12, 2014 6:39 am

It may be that a BS or ISO registered company has to have accountability and traceability on all parts and assets. Back in the 1980's when I was the garage foreman for London Transport at Stamford Hill, north London we were the first LT company to register for British Standards (BS5750 actually) this later went to ISO9001 & 9002 due to our international work (European coaching fleet and buses for trade fairs and expo's etc). Anything we received in had to have a traceable date and an expiry date, even if we wrote it on ourselves (a bit tricky with oil and diesel). The paperwork was enormous but maybe this has something to do with it.

Don't even go near COSHH if you don't like paperwork (I had to trace the carsinogenic effect of every item in the garage, there were 144 of them and in ppm Tippex was the most dangerous !!)
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks Adrian - that does make a lot of sense now. James

MGFMania
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by MGFMania » Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Thankfully they put them back in production, there were times over the past couple of years when it was VERY difficult to source HRW Switches. We even had to modify other switches!

We have sold towards 1000 HRW switches since 2008, to power our 3,500+ Glass HRW Panels, our customers have drained the secondhand market which has inflated the price
MGF74 wrote:Hello,

I got my heated rear window switch from Rimmerbros today, and I was a bit surprised because it has the production date stamped on it as "09.01.2014".

That blows my mind a bit; sure, you would expect "wear and tear" parts like brake pads, hoses and the like to still be produced... but a heated rear window switch??

For all I know, normally parts like these for which there should only be very low demand are stockpiled at the end of a car's production and then those old supplies are gradually sold... but new ones aren't produced anymore... at least that's the way manufacturers like Audi do it (my everyday car is a 15-year-old Audi A4, for which finding certain parts can already be quite a pain).

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Post by dwkmgf » Sat May 17, 2014 11:43 am

adrianclifford wrote:
Don't even go near COSHH if you don't like paperwork (I had to trace the carsinogenic effect of every item in the garage, there were 144 of them and in ppm Tippex was the most dangerous !!)
COSHH is really quite simple - its not how dangerous it is, it is how you are exposed to it, the length of time you are exposed to it and the volume. Tippex might have once been very hazardous (because of Tri-ch 1.1.1) - but you would not get cancer from it, because the volume used is small and the cumulative exposure time is small. Having said that, you should always use a less hazardous product if one exits - hence water based Tippex instead of solvent based.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 am

MGFMania wrote:Thankfully they put them back in production, there were times over the past couple of years when it was VERY difficult to source HRW Switches. We even had to modify other switches!

We have sold towards 1000 HRW switches since 2008, to power our 3,500+ Glass HRW Panels, our customers have drained the secondhand market which has inflated the price
It's probably really very lucky that new switches are available; as most Fs and even most TFs are now over a decade old, I am sure many need a new hood just because the old one is worn and faded. Somebody has told me that on average and depending on how well you take care of it, a hood has had it after about 10 to 15 years.

So I could imagine rising demand from that direction, as many will probably opt for a heated glass rear window with their new hood.

That said, not wanting to nitpick, but these switches, at least mine, are off a bit in their colour. The other switches in my centre console are a dark black, whereas this new switch is more a very dark grey and sticks out.

But I guess between this and having to hunt high and low for a rare overpriced used switch, we should just be glad they're available again.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 19, 2014 11:07 am

MGs historically have excellent parts supply - and that's largely down to us enthusiasts keeping our cars on the road. The more that survive, the more likely that we'll continue to have good parts supply. To be honest, this is the reason why I get depressed when so many good cars are being broken just for parts: it's a really short term and short-sighted policy that has long-term consequences :(

I'll dismount my hobby horse now...

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:02 pm

well, cars do usually go through a cycle in terms of their resale value.

After ten or twelve years you have many old buckets that have simply had it, mostly because their owners didn't afford them enough love and care. At some point it's no use keeping those rust buckets alive anymore, because even if they were brought back in shape the resale value would not justify it, so it's actually an economically sound decision to break them.

Yes, in the short term, as you say. And it's a real pity.

But in the end, I think it is kind of a good thing that that reduces the supply of cars, because good, well-maintained specimens, essentially our cars as enthusiasts, will then end up going up in value again. My perception is that at the moment, the divide is starting between scrap-worthy F's and TF's which have had their lifeblood sucked out of them by unloving owners, and cars that have a real shot at being immortalised as modern classics by the enthusiast crowd.

I have a feeling that in ten years' time, a bog standard MGF in good nick will fetch £4,000 to £6,000 with no problem at all. Perhaps 7,000 for a spotless special-edition one.

Maybe now, with so many people breaking these cars, is a good time to stock up on what will in the future be rare parts.

I've been an Audi enthusiast for going on 20 years, and some 15 years ago, Audi cleared out most of their stock of parts for the original Quattro (the one Gene Hunt drove in Ashes to Ashes 8-) ). Everything was thrown out at knock down prices. These days, even a faded old Quattro badge will go for a premium on eBay.

What was really heartbreaking though was the senseless wasting of good cars while we had our "cash for clunkers" government scheme here in 2007. I spent loads of time in scrapyards back them hunting for Audi parts, but I was unprepared for the shock of seeing spotless Audi 80s and Audi 100s by the dozens there, cars that were not seldomly in showroom condition, but were given up by their owners to be scrapped for a measly €2,000 from the government.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 19, 2014 2:09 pm

You're right of course - we can't keep all MGs on the road for ever more - and yes, it is about supply and demand: but it is curious, the general public still think that the cars are valuable when their trade value is in the same bracket as your weekly supermarket shop... If everyone knew how cheap they are, that they're currently a fraction of the value of a shabby MG Midget or MGB, perhaps some demand could be created to prevent perfectly good cars being scrapped?

But I do agree with your assessment of the South Korean car industry support scheme (aka the "Scrappage Scheme"). What a waste of resource to scrap serviceable cars, who ever built them! That they were also condemned to the crusher (and prevented the majority of the parts being recycled) was to add insult to injury!!!

Luckily non-road worthy cars were exempt (?!?) and Project Shed lived to tell the tale... :lol:

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Rob Bell wrote:That they were also condemned to the crusher (and prevented the majority of the parts being recycled) was to add insult to injury!!!
but the real irony was this: loads of these cars were sold off to Eastern European countries from here illegally, like Poland or the Czech Republic, where they received fresh new papers and were sold freely on the market (how exactly they managed to pull that off, I don't know, but it happened a lot). People I know who frequently went to Poland in those days told me that just barely twenty miles behind the border, a handful of independent car dealerships were suddenly stacked with notable numbers of great-looking ten-year-old cars (ten years was the threshold to be eligible for the scheme in Germany).

And again about our MGs... people are obsessed these days with making good investments... the real investment really is to buy an MGF or TF in more or less decent shape, iron out the problems yourself a little bit, and then wait ten years for it to gain value. If you do it right, I am sure you can triple the modest sum of £2,000 that buying an MGF will cost you these days.

But then again, to an enthusiast, it shouldn't be about the money, not about making money off your car. I drive mine because I thoroughly enjoy owning and maintaining a piece of British automotive history.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 19, 2014 2:54 pm

I didn't know that - so lots of RHD cars now knocking around in eastern Europe then?

I agree with you about cars and investments: cars aren't investments in that sense. They're there to be enjoyed. I have two MGFs, neither are standard, but both are brilliant to drive! :D

MGF74

Post by MGF74 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Yes, mine isn't original either. It's more a wet dream of wood, chrome, and tan leather... :?

But on the other hand, like your two, my car is unique. That should also be part of the fun :)

Don't think we've really got many RHD cars here on the continent. You do see ads for RHD TFs and Fs here, but they usually go for about £1, 000 less than LHD ones.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Very easy to convert an MGF/TF from LHD to RHD, or from RHD to LHD: most of the parts are interchangeable (pedal box etc) - but things like the dashboard may be harder to find. But even here, if you are ingenious enough, you could re-use the dash moulding! The same fundamental dashboard moulding is used for both LHD and RHD, but someone cuts the hole for the steering column/instruments. Covering that hole is the tricky bit, but if you transfer the cut bits and recover in leather, who'd be any the wiser? ;) But hey, could you be bothered to do that for a measly £1000? Probably not worth it now - and it wouldn't be original in the longer term. :roll: