MG Live next year

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

nig135
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: MG Live next year

Post by nig135 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:09 pm

I don't normally add any comments on the forum but I felt I needed to,I think it's a shame that people are disappointed with the poo judging at Silverstone.Nige and I have entered quite a few competitions and we put a tremendous amount of hard work into it,like all entrants.In Poo I have always assumed that the judges are looking for a beautifully turned out car,no grease,dirt,dust etc.Our car although by the competition is immaculately clean,has it's faults,stone chips etc .Sometimes we win and sometimes not but we enjoy entering and chatting to lots of lovely people.We were 1st in poo this yr ,runners up last yr and I think the 2 previous yrs we won,I hope people don't groan when they see us.Our car is used on other events Regency runs,new forest etc.Helen .

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

nig135 wrote:I don't normally add any comments on the forum but I felt I needed to,I think it's a shame that people are disappointed with the poo judging at Silverstone.Nige and I have entered quite a few competitions and we put a tremendous amount of hard work into it,like all entrants.In Poo I have always assumed that the judges are looking for a beautifully turned out car,no grease,dirt,dust etc.Our car although by the competition is immaculately clean,has it's faults,stone chips etc .Sometimes we win and sometimes not but we enjoy entering and chatting to lots of lovely people.We were 1st in poo this yr ,runners up last yr and I think the 2 previous yrs we won,I hope people don't groan when they see us.Our car is used on other events Regency runs,new forest etc.Helen .
Well said Helen and many congratulations on the win after all that hard work of cleaning on the Saturday afternoon in that baking hot sun :thumbsu:

I hope the postings on here and other sites do not put people off entering the POOs at either MG Live or MGF20 or indeed any other event. It is suppose to be a fun thing to do, to show off your car after all the hard work of cleaning and maintaining your cars to a level many of us aspire to but most of us give up on once the car is just clean or is that just might be me? :lol:
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Helen/Nigel I too congratulated your car on another thread, it is truly amazing however Allan also has a point that needs to be addressed, what are the judges looking for in a Pride of Ownership competition ?

Is it the cleanest, shiniest or the car that has had most work done to it ?, then you need to ask, has the owner done it or has he paid to have it done professionally.

Having been told years ago at Silverstone the suspension was pumped up too high on my TF, I really don't know how PoO can satisfy everybody if even some of the people doing the judging don't know the cars. What instructions do they have to award marks, is there a criteria to work to ?.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Tim is probably best positioned to answer the questions regarding the PoO, but from recollection, there have always been a good contingent of modified cars - particularly ZRs at shows past. Unfortunately I did not get the time to look at the cars this year, but I'd have thought that the PoO modified class would be ideal for you Allan.

If you were entering the concours competition, you'd have no chance - this is for completely factory-standard cars which are often presented in better-than-new condition.

At other shows I've attended, there has been a separate class for "daily drivers" - it is not reasonable to compare a regularly used car that has seen mud and salt with a car that does 10 miles a year being wheeled on and off a trailer. That said, it all boils down to numbers - if enough people do it, then there can be more classes. If not enough participate, it won't run at all.

As Adrian rightly says, at MGF20, we'll have a lot more control over the classes and the judging. It'll be fair to say that the judges will at least know their Fs from their TFs! :lol:

nig135

Post by nig135 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Poo is simply pride in your car(as stated in a separate thread)Yes it is the cleanest car.You are marked down for,dents scratches,stone chips,tears in upholstery.They are looking for a car in beautiful condition.It has nothing to do with the amount of work you've done on it or how much you've spent.Its down to your own hard work,plenty of elbow grease!
It took ages for us to win anything,each time we lost we would look to see what the winners were doing.Its not rocket science but to get your car to that condition takes a lot of time and polish!
The judges do a great job,let's face it who would want to do it as your bound to upset someone,yes sometimes mistakes are made.
At the end of the day it should be a bit of fun!Whether we take part again,I don't know,but who ever wins at poo,best modified or concours,good luck to them and it's up to the rest of us to raise the game.Helen.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:49 pm

nig135 wrote:They are looking for a car in beautiful condition.It has nothing to do with the amount of work you've done on it or how much you've spent.Its down to your own hard work,plenty of elbow grease!
Helen, this is where PoO gets confusing, what about previous winners who have had massive amounts of work done for them, full resprays, stove enamelled sub-frames, personalised interiors etc. They are a joy to look at but the work has not been done by the owner so it may not have anything to do with the amount of hard work as you say. Would you be happy coming second to a car that's had a full professional rebuild and little owner hands on when you've put in countless hours of graft ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:06 pm

As well as the argument that a car has had a lot of time and money put into it by 'modding' doesn't necessarily show the blood, sweat & tears, what about the basket case restored to 'as it the left the factory.' That equally might not show the' effort' that has gone into it. As Helen rightly suggests surely it is the enjoyment of preparing, entering and competing that is important (and meeting & chatting with interested people), the win is the icing on the cake.
Last edited by David Dixon on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nig135

Post by nig135 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Even if someone has a lot of work done ,they still have to present the car on the day,unless they bring their own valeting team.We've lost and won against cars that have had money spent on them.Shame that people can't accept losing without causing bad feeling,it sadly spoils the whole atmosphere of the event.Helen

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Helen.. I spoke to you on the day.. And even at 10am I was saying you should of won.. So was glad you guys did.. Your car was immaculate.. And you drive it too!! Not just stuff it in a garage..

You should both be proud of a superb car.. And a well deserved win.. You were both cleaning it for ages..

The car i was referring to was the light blue monogram that seems to win every year at MGs in the park and the owner insists is a one off.. Even though there were 3 of them at Live this year (three that I saw anyway) and there are 16 listed..

I think no car should be entered into PoO unless they can prove the car has driven 2000 miles minimum since last year (easy with MOT)

That'd sort out the enthusiasts from the trailer queens lol..

Surely the whole ethos behind owning an MG is the DRIVING of it?

Well done Helen and hubby.. Stunning car.. :thumbsu:

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 pm

I was hugely impressed with all the F'S and TF'S in the POO, very difficult to judge such different cars on the same criteria- the winner was stunning, but my favourite was the bronze TF160, simply because I've never seen one.

Andy's is amazing, and Allan's will be incredible to see up close- as long as the effort and engineering is appreciated by your peers and contemporaries then wouldn't that be reward enough?

Just to get up close to such amazingly cared for cars is a privilege for the jobbing amateur and quite inspirational too. That said, more guidance as to what the judges are looking for seems to be the order of the day, but then you'd be building a car for the judges and not for your own unique vision.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

diesel destroyer

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 am

Good point Stuart.. about respect from peers.. and to be honest.. my car is being built to drive... Euro trips planned with my other half when shes over from America..

Was only going to put it into PoO so that others who wanted to see it could find it easily.. but to be honest.. If they really want to see it they'll find it im sure..

Did an hour on ny car this morning... and noticed one of the back wheels has a mark on one of the spokes.. and its not even driven yet.. :x Means im already down 20 points.. lol

Ive spent around 300 hours on the body work so far.. wonder how long it will stay dent/ding free.. although don't plan on many supermarket trips in it.. but bound to happen.. :x

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Put it on display Allan. In the case of PoO, perhaps it is not so much about the winning that matters, it's the taking part and allowing others to appreciate the effort you've invested.

I have an inclining of the time and effort you've invested in this build, but I am sure that others will come and marvel at what has been done, including the "fun" items like the disappearing front numberplate (track days), the keyless entry and the electronic parking brake.

And that doesn't just apply to you - it is to everyone - be that a standard car, a lightly modified car or a car whose mother wouldn't even recognise ;)

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Agreed with Rob- show it Allan...else I'll only track it down in the carpark or on the campsite and tell everyone where it is anyway :)
Stuart

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

diesel destroyer

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I'll park it up with the other F/TFs..

Was nice to see so many on show this year by the bridge.. Some stunning cars there.. :thumbsu:

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Stuart, I'm glad you noticed the bronze car in the PoO. It took me by surprise as I'm sure I hadn't seen it before, true enough it's one of the seven unique TF's, it's SPICE. What a colour !

Did you notice the red car in the Trophy Cars display, many thought it was Nightfire or Firefrost but in fact it was another monogram colour, it was Garnet 25 of those built across the range.

diesel destroyer

Post by diesel destroyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

That Spice TF sure was pretty..

See.. if he'd parked it in the field with everyone else I for one would have missed it..

sniperpenguin
MGF Register Region: East Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by sniperpenguin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:44 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Stuart, I'm glad you noticed the bronze car in the PoO. It took me by surprise as I'm sure I hadn't seen it before, true enough it's one of the seven unique TF's, it's SPICE. What a colour !

Did you notice the red car in the Trophy Cars display, many thought it was Nightfire or Firefrost but in fact it was another monogram colour, it was Garnet 25 of those built across the range.
I was under the impression that the SPICE TF was a respray? :?

I've always held P.O.O and concours in differing "camps" - the latter is for "as close to factory spec as possible" for the bought-out-at-show-specials, and the former is for those who truly love their cars. This issue for me here is that all owners treat their cars in different ways according to the skills / budget they have.

- They may spend hours / £££ polishing and waxing every nut and bolt
- They may make the car as recognisable as possible, through cosmetic tweaks, modifications and paint
- They make a "concept" car, such as Goldenwheels or the Jet-powered F which others then build upon.

Judging between three different types of "pride" must be a difficult thing indeed :(
'53 MGTF 135 Monogram Lagoon
'54 MGTF 115 Monogram Biomorphic (Work in Progress!)
Coloured seatbelts here - http://www.facebook.com/mgbelts

stuart

Post by stuart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:04 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Stuart, I'm glad you noticed the bronze car in the PoO. It took me by surprise as I'm sure I hadn't seen it before, true enough it's one of the seven unique TF's, it's SPICE. What a colour !

Hi Adrian- that red one was good- I thought it was nightfire tbh- nice car but plenty of tiny dents in it that'd just drive you nuts. I spent a fair while talking to the owner of the Spice one- that car looked really good- exactly the right colour to set off the tan interior perfectly...the dashboard of it was painted with a roller in exactly the right shade of tan- unbelievable that- you'd never know even close up!
Stuart

Dave J
Regional Rep
Model of Car: Poseidon TF160

Post by Dave J » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Adrian & Stu
With regards to the Spice TF ... i believe its not a real Spice .. but resprayed into Spice.I believe the owner forgot to mention that at Silverstone... this is according to the MG R Monogram Enthusiasts.
The search may have to continue for that one ... but i know who the new owner of the only Aurora is ....and it is stunning :D

Dave J
herts@mgfregister.org

2004 monogram Poseidon TF160
2003 monogram Lagoon TF135
2017 MG3

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 pm

I don't know if it was respayed or not, i only had a few minutes during my lunch break to get around all the cars, however as I didn't recognise the colour I looked up the paint code from the vin plate then checked my data. The paint code is Spice but, here lies a potential problem, either the data is wrong or the vin plate's wrong or it's been replaced as the vin shows a 160 but the data says it's a 135 !